"Separation Of Church and State"

M

manny15

I just wanna see some ideas here.

how many of you were as dumb as I was, not knowing that this is a false statement, n that many atheists so skillfully use this against our goverment, and bring frevellous law suites and causing fear in our governmental representatives when its used to bring suite.....!

because of the missuse of the U.S. Constitution, n possibly a misscarage of justice by some, especaially Madalyn Murray O'Hair taking prayer out of schools back in the 60's, just look at the state of the public school system is in today.

Gallup poll finds that 20% of respondents identify themselves as "liberal," 36% as "moderate" and 40% as conservative....

so how in heck did some one like Barak Husain Obamma get ellected in a country with the majorty being Conservative, was it wishfull thinking...Hmmmmm.....

===============================
U.S. Constitution - Amendment 1

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion. The Religion Topic Page addresses this issue in much greater detail.

Jefferson's Wall of Separation Letter

Thomas Jefferson was a man of deep religious conviction - his conviction was that religion was a very personal matter, one which the government had no business getting involved in. He was vilified by his political opponents for his role in the passage of the 1786 Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom and for his criticism of such biblical truths as the Great Flood and the theological age of the Earth. As president, he discontinued the practice started by his predecessors George Washington and John Adams of proclaiming days of fasting and thanksgiving. He was a staunch believer in the separation of church and state.

Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 to answer a letter from them written in October 1801. A copy of the Danbury letter is available here. The Danbury Baptists were a religious minority in Connecticut, and they complained that in their state, the religious liberties they enjoyed were not seen as immutable rights, but as privileges granted by the legislature ? as "favors granted." Jefferson's reply did not address their concerns about problems with state establishment of religion - only of establishment on the national level. The letter contains the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," which led to the short-hand for the Establishment Clause that we use today: "Separation of church and state."

The letter was the subject of intense scrutiny by Jefferson, and he consulted a couple of New England politicians to assure that his words would not offend while still conveying his message: it was not the place of the Congress or the Executive to do anything that might be misconstrued as the establishment of religion.

Note: The bracketed section in the second paragraph had been blocked off for deletion in the final draft of the letter sent to the Danbury Baptists, though it was not actually deleted in Jefferson's draft of the letter. It is included here for completeness. Reflecting upon his knowledge that the letter was far from a mere personal correspondence, Jefferson deleted the block, he noted in the margin, to avoid offending members of his party in the eastern states.

This is a transcript of the letter as stored online at the Library of Congress, and reflects Jefferson's spelling and punctuation.

the Letter;

Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen
The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.

[Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
===================

4ae792a01b7d5225.jpg

Nobody is as dumb as you Manny.

There is a clear intent on the founding fathers for separation of church and state, comments made by them I've already given you make it clear. even if you choose to ignore the facts how do you explain the fact they gave NO position of power to any church official or organization? if the church had a role in government wouldn't they have mentioned them somewhere?

How did Obama get elected? he got the most votes. do a little more research on your own and you won't ask so many dumb questions.

Manny,
First off prayer was never taken out of schools, what was removed was required prayer. Our school allows kids to gather on their own and pray so long as it is not directed by a teacher or administrator and not required.

Secondly seperating church and state is good for the church. Religion can be anything from Christianity to animal worship. I don't want any government local, state or federal to decide which religion is the "correct" religion and which is not.

Thirdly many of our terms we use to describe the laws and regulation of this country are not contain with in Constitution. Many have come to us through 234 years of Supreme Court interpretations of what the Constitution really means.

Can you give a single positive example of mingling church and state? Look at the Church of England or the churches through out countries like Germany. They all get state funding and very, very few Europeans practice any religion. I have friends in Germany from my 6 years of living there whose view is that they pay taxes to keep the church up so attendance is not important.

Nemont

how many of you were as dumb as I was, not knowing that this is a false statement, n that many atheists so skillfully use this against our goverment, and bring frevellous law suites and causing fear in our governmental representatives when its used to bring suite.....!

=======

subject matter " it os not in the Constitution!

H-dude you really need an aS S Whoopin, if you treat people in the real world as you do here in fairytail land, one day some one's gonna hand you your teeth back to you in a zip lock!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-09 AT 11:10PM (MST)[p] you can land on someone but you don't like it thrown back at you, get used to it this is the stupid internet for gods sake.

The point is you post dumb crap like this all the time with the same results so why not move on? on the 15th try you should expect to be razzed.

Go to the middle east, church is state so you'd love it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-09 AT 11:35PM (MST)[p]guys, read it again.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

whats it say? it says, Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Why can't anyone take it that? why does everyone believe in this living breathing const. that can be changed at a whim? Why does everyone believe that the feds have more power than the states? why can't people just take what is written for what it says? why do you have to put crap and ideas where it does not belong?

I don't get it. i guess we have lost the battle, the republic is gone, yes republic this is not a democracy, we are all apparently completely brainwashed by the gov run schools that we can't understand two lines of written word in english. are we like women, thinking emotionally and trying to read between the lines instead of taking it for what it is and using male logic? this country is in deep doodoo.

funny thing is, congress says a prayer before each session everyday.

sorry for the rant, where I come from, this is just frustrating to see.

Because just like the 2nd you can see what you want in it.

I go as much by what the founding fathers did as trying to twist the words they wrote. they did not restrict guns, and they in no way shape or form gave the church any role in our government at any time. why would they write one thing but mean another? if they intended the church to be active in government what were they waiting for? 2010 to roll around ? I doubt it.

Of course they had slaves too, so go figure.

Well its clear to me and others "who don't hate God or Christians" that some Atheists are using this "read between the lines" Statement "SCnS" to file frivolous law suites, to remove a cross that's been a memorial for the fallen in battle, in the desert for 50 years, to take word God out of the "pledge of allegiance, to remove a replica of the ten commandments on state property, and now to stop prayer in congress.

Who pays for these Frivolous law suites, Hmmmm Tax payers...

Maybe if they would have to pay for it themselves this Chit would stop.... after all, Gallop says there only 20% Liberal in the States acting as if they are the majority....

Maybe so but it's the moderates who swing the direction of the nation. and it's people like you working hard to make us a church state that send the moderates off screaming like their teeth are on fire.

I don't know any moderates who have a problem with your religion stuff as long as you're not in our face with it. the extreme liberals are just like you looking for a fight, that's just life get used to it.

By the way athiest are the fastest growing group when it comes to religion in America . now that's some scary holloween stuff there huh?

Your welcome Manny. This is the best site I have found for
documents on how our founders beliefs played a role in the
constitution. Learned of this site from the Huckabee show on Fox. Jefferson signed all his letters " In the year of Christ"
with date. Take this for what its worth. Brubo

A buddy for Manny at last.

How do you explain this if Jefferson is who you want to quote, " Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shown on man "

Now is that something a man wanting the church to be involved in his new nation would say? what about the bible according to Jefferson? the one he revised to his idea of what it should be?

Still, all of this aside how can you get past the fact there is NO provision of any kind for ANY church representation in the governmment? I think this alone shows their true intent, everything else was just to keep the witch burners matches in their pockets.

That may very well have been a quote by Jefferson.
But he may have been refering to the church of England
at that time. I posted the link because I thought manny
would be interested. Also I never said there was any
church representation in the constitution. But god & our
creator is.

True there are references, but I say god damn and jesus christ everyday without meaning I want the church in my life.

So as long as we agree the church has no place in government we are good, I have no problem with christamas stuff, in god we trust and all that stuff. this is unofficially a christian nation just do to the fact the majority are christians, I have no problem with that as long as my participation is optional.

The Constitution says that our creator gave us rights - meaning that no man, or group of people can take them away.

HISTORY FORGOTTEN

Did you know that 52 of the 55 signers of the Declaration of Independence were orthodox, deeply committed Christians? The other three all believed in the Bible as the divine truth, the God of scripture, and His personal intervention.

It is the same Congress that formed the American Bible Society. Immediately after creating the Declaration of Independence, the Continental Congress voted to purchase and import 20,000 copies of scripture for the people of this nation. Patrick Henry, who is called the firebrand of the American Revolution, is still remembered for his words, '"Give me liberty or give me death."';

But in current textbooks the context of these words is deleted. Here is what he actually said: '"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' These sentences have been erased from our textbooks.

Consider these words that Thomas Jefferson wrote on the front of his well-worn Bible: "I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our Creator." Thomas Jefferson was also the chairman of the American Bible Society, which he considered his highest and most important role.

Was Patrick Henry a Christian? Absolutely! The following year, in 1776, he wrote this: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here."

On July 4, 1821, President Adams said, "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity."

Calvin Coolidge, our 30th President of the United States, reaffirmed this truth when he wrote, "The foundations of our society and our government rest so much on the teachings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease to be practically universal in our country."

In 1782, the United States Congress voted this resolution: "The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools."

William Holmes McGuffey is the author of the McGuffey Reader, which was used for over 100 years in our public schools with over 125 million copies sold until it was stopped in 1963. President Lincoln called him the "Schoolmaster of the Nation." Listen to these words of Mr. McGuffey: "The Christian religion is the religion of our country. From it are derived our notions on the character of God, on the great moral Governor of the universe. On its doctrines are founded the peculiarities of our free institutions. From no source has the author drawn more conspicuously than from the sacred Scriptures. From all these extracts from the Bible I make no apology.

Of the first 108 universities founded in America, 106 were distinctly Christian, including the first, Harvard University, chartered in 1636. In the original Harvard Student Handbook, rule number 1 was that: Students seeking entrance must know Latin and Greek so that they could study the scriptures: "Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ, which is eternal life, John 17:3; and therefore to lay Jesus Christ as the only foundation for our children to follow the moral principles of the Ten Commandments."

James Madison, the primary author of the Constitution of the United States, said this: "We have staked the whole future of our new nation not upon the power of government; far from it. We have staked the future of all our political constitutions upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of the Ten Commandments."

Today, so many of us are asking God to bless America. But, how can we expect him to bless a Nation that has departed so far from Him? Prior to September 11, He wasn't even welcome in a good share of America. Most of what you read in this article has been erased from our textbooks. Revisionists have rewritten history to remove the truth about our country's Christian roots.

Manny,
Those words you plagiarized in the above post contain very good grammar so it is clear you did not write them. When using other's words it is common to use quotations to acknowledge that you are using someone else's work and not your own.

In your first post sentence one was incomplete.
Paragraph two has 7 grammatical and spelling errors.
Paragraph three has five such errors.
Paragraph four is a fragmented sentence, the use of plural and non plural in the same sentence are confusing.
Paragraph 5 has seven grammar and spelling errors.
Given these facts it appears to me that your school system failed you long before god was 'taken' from the classroom.

The words, "under God" were inserted into the pledge of allegiance in 1954.
It is my belief that the most common failures for students are happening at home, before and during schooling. If parents were doing a good job of teaching their beliefs to their children then religion in public schools wouldn't be an issue. Children would know where they stood before they showed up.
I am not fond of the people who would rid our government and schools of references to a specific religion any more than I am for those who would push their brand of religion on my kid. I believe religion belongs in the home and the Church of your choice and not in the public classroom or government.

In my own words,

Beanman

440 you dont have to participate at all. I am glad your not
one of those extremists that doesnt like " In god we trust"
on the money. Anyone who doesnt like it could just send it to a charity of their choice.

Well said Beanman.

By the way I know my grammar sucks, maybe not as bad as Manny but I'm not going to convince anyone I went to Yale.

>Manny,
>Those words you plagiarized in the
>above post contain very good
>grammar so it is clear
>you did not write them.
> When using other's words
>it is common to use
>quotations to acknowledge that you
>are using someone else's work
>and not your own.
>
>In your first post sentence one
>was incomplete.
>Paragraph two has 7 grammatical and
>spelling errors.
>Paragraph three has five such errors.
>
>Paragraph four is a fragmented sentence,
>the use of plural and
>non plural in the same
>sentence are confusing.
>Paragraph 5 has seven grammar and
>spelling errors.
>Given these facts it appears to
>me that your school system
>failed you long before god
>was 'taken' from the classroom.
>
>
>The words, "under God" were inserted
>into the pledge of allegiance
>in 1954.
>It is my belief that the
>most common failures for students
>are happening at home, before
>and during schooling. If
>parents were doing a good
>job of teaching their beliefs
>to their children then religion
>in public schools wouldn't be
>an issue. Children would know
>where they stood before they
>showed up.
>I am not fond of the
>people who would rid our
>government and schools of references
>to a specific religion any
>more than I am for
>those who would push their
>brand of religion on my
>kid. I believe religion
>belongs in the home and
>the Church of your choice
>and not in the public
>classroom or government.
>
>In my own words,
>
>Beanman

plagiarized, LOL, I think it was clear to the average dummy, I just cut and pasted it....

you have really impressed me with your knowledge of grammer, NOT...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom