Seriously, what to do with my points

G

GHOSTINTHEWOODS

I know its kind of late to ask now but I have no clue what to do with my points. I have 11 elk and 10 deer. I kind of have ideas for the deer but no idea for elk any ideas.

I'll let you know about deer this year after I harvest my buck in unit 21 third season. Spent 10 points on it...

Ya,21 is not too far from where I live don't know for sure if I want that tag either. Hope you have a great hunt. Let me know what you kill.

Will do. My buddies have killed some decent bucks (160--180) over the past couple of years there. Hoping to do the same...

Well, honestly your a mile from home for the best areas in Colorado with those points, in fact you probably have zero chance to draw the best areas. The good news is that you can and probably will draw an area that is still pretty great. 61, 76 are good areas and there is also some good RFW properties that are in your reach depending on the quality of elk or deer your after?

I applied for 21 third with 11 points, I am at least a couple of points shy to draw this tag.

thanks elkcrzy, I will have to try and spend some time in differnt units and just see what I can find I guess. thanks for the info.

Sorry Id help more if I had more info. What are you after in an elk hunt ? A trophy only ? Whats a trophy to you ? Are you a non resident or resident ? It matters because if your a non resident you cant hunt the RFW properties. I sent you a pm. Gary

21 sounds like a good idea BUT FOR THIRD SEASON I BELIEVE YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT A COUPLE YEARS.I SAY HOPE THEY BRING BACK THE RULE THAT YOU ONLY LOOSE AS MANY POINTS AS NEEDED TO DRAW AREA AND THEN HUNT AN AREA TWICE.
SIMO

21 is loaded with deer! Blows unit 44 away, even before 44 got ruined from two bad winters and a murderous 4th season.

21 was a really tough hunt last year for the rifle hunters. My dad and grandpa had 2 season tags. Killed a 180 type buck and a 26 inch three point the last day. tough hunt. warm and dry for both seasons. you know it though and there are some good bucks around.

I expect tons of point creep for 21 this year due to it being highly publicized in a well known hunting magazine. In addition, all of the 4th season Gunnison area tags were eliminated, 3rd season Gunnison tags were severly restricted and many other units that used to be high quality are still suffereing from prior winter kill. The people with lots of points that were saving for those units are going to look for alternative units, like 21, since it has received so much good press lately.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom