Shaver Lake pics by canyoncrosser

BuckSnort

Long Time Member
I am posting some pics for canyoncrosser, these are the pics and descriptions from the email he sent me:

f2fe6011.jpg

For this phase, they have let out more water and it is about as low as it can go.Stevenson Creek comes into the lake over on the upper-left section of the lake bed somewhere (back by the far trees in the background) and it wanders across the lake bed and exits at the dam over on the right.

062bca64.jpg

In the image above, the "old" dam (used pre-1920) is barely seen in the shadows near the center of the image. The "old" dam held back the "old" lake towards the background, i.e. the lake was on the the far side of the "old" dam, feed by the creek. The old saw mill and town were on this side of the old dam, i.e. in the foreground of the image above. A flume carrying the logs from the saw mill down to Clovis went down the hill starting where the new dam is currently sitting.

They have the area fenced off, but this is not an issue if you have good optics ...The creek wandering across the lake bed is seen here as it approaches the "old" dam from the far side of the dam (the top of the old dam is barely seen in the foreground
of this image)

367c7909.jpg

Then the old dam (rock & earth) is seen here, with a spillway letting the water out of the bottom of the old dam.

7d8e2666.jpg

Over on the left, we see some old stone structures and equipment.

354fa1fe.jpg

And zooming in on the spill way ....

0501df4f.jpg

98654353.jpg

It is sort of surprising to me that what appears to be a wooden structure is still standing and appears to still work after 90 yrs of being under water.

The lake bed has a feeling like space ship Rover was taking the images ...where no man has walked in 100yrs, frozen in time ...

71e1026f.jpg

Especially with the long afternoon shadows ....

b4053cd2.jpg

-----------

Cool pics canyoncrosser, I went by there a few times and checked out the progress.. I have a few trolling rigs in some of them rocks but there were guards there keeping people from the lake bed..They didn't want any artifacts (Indian) disturbed..

If I'm not mistaken I bumped into you a year or so ago on the lake..My bro and I were getting ready to leave and you and a buddy had just launched...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

You are correct Bucksnort. You were very recognizable from your pics! I guess we know why we would catch fish where we did now!

Thanks for posting those up. It was worth the drive up there to get a look back in time. I've donated a few ford fenders and baby cowbells to the bottom myself,lol.

Im behind the power curve with the 411 as to why they are doing this work in that area.I am assumeing its for Hydro Electricity? Any of you gent fill me in on the reason? Looks like a monster of a build and wonderful pics guys thanks for posting.

" I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
Daniel Boone

Was doing a job in Shaver about 6 weeks or so ago and yes it was an awesome sight. TMAC they drained the lake so that they could put a liner on the dam which is part of what you see in the pics. Apparently the dam needed this repair. I believe Shaver is now about 2/3 full again. I would have given my left nut to have combed over that lake bed with a metal detector.

It's been a good while ago, maybe 15-20 years, but one year PG&E let most of the water out of Lake Almanor. A buddy and i out for a cruise, found a flat of stumps completely exposed and dry enough that made easy walking. Before that day, i had always supposed that water to be fairly deep and i guess others did too!

We covered several miles, going from one stump to another, pulling up line, and picking off the lures like one might pick berries. Lucky i took a 5 gallon bucket out there with me as we also found half a dozen downrigger balls and all manor of flasher rigs. A couple hour fun side trip that day netted us easily a hundred different lures, many still in good shape.

I also marked where that long flat dove off into deep water near the shore and have caught my share of dandy trout bait fishing just on the shallow where it meets the deeper water. If a guy knows what to look for, a empty lake will tell you a lot! Good luck there guys. Too far for this ol boy to travel just to fish another lake.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Was doing a job in Shaver
>about 6 weeks or so
>ago and yes it was
>an awesome sight. TMAC
>they drained the lake so
>that they could put a
>liner on the dam which
>is part of what you
>see in the pics.
>Apparently the dam needed this
>repair. I believe Shaver
>is now about 2/3 full
>again. I would have
>given my left nut to
>have combed over that lake
>bed with a metal detector.
>

Thanks for the Info and again wonderful pics posted.

" I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
Daniel Boone

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom