sheep 22

goldhunter

I drew this tag this year. Anybody have a feel for the number of mature rams in the unit and the trophy quality. I have tried talking to the biologist. Just haven't caught him yet. Eastman's did make it sound like there is good potential.

I do have the option of hunting 5 during October so just wondering if I should just plan on that.

Thanks for any input.

Have you made it out yet to scout the unit? I know those sheep move around alot though.

Congrats and good luck with the tag!
You could put everything I know about 22 in your eye and never blink so I'm no help. It seems unit 5 is where everyone wants to hunt! There's no reason the later dates wouldn't be great! Just work with the weather and you should be good.
Zeke
PS: remember to post your hunt and pics on MM when you're done. Win, lose or draw - we want to hear.

I am very happy and excited to have the tag. As with all long time draws there is some pressure not to blow it. Just going to try hard. I did talk to the game warden and he was helpful, just didn't think to get a estimated population of mature rams in the unit. So if I find a ram or two are they likely going to be as good as it gets in the unit? Did find something on the Wyoming site but these sheep are included in the larger unit 5 herd so it didn't really help.

The game warden did say the sheep spend some of their time down along the river on private ground. There are some hay fields they like to frequent. If that's the case I probably will be hunting 5 at least part of the time. Doesn't quite seem right to shoot a ram off a hay field. Wouldn't bother me to shoot a big deer off a field but I would hope for more with a ram. I'm not saying I won't if the only other choice is tag soup, but I will try in the badlands or mountains of 5 first.

No I have not been over there yet but will go in the next few weeks. I do not like the heat so just waiting for it to cool down a bit. Probably take my bow along.

Here is a few rams I saw a few years back in 22 in Oct. Not sure what you are looking for, but middle one looks good to me. I think it varies year to year. I was doing it every other year along with 5 but drew 5 last year. Looks cooler than a hayfield. More like desert sheep country :)
2559hpim1369.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't figure out how to rotate. He's 33.5 x 15.25. I have him grossing 167. Not much of a story. Hunted two days. Found this one and couldn't pass him hoping for bigger. I am very happy with the ram.

Well done.
It doesn't have to be an extended hunt to be a great adventure!

Come on, tell us more!
How many sheep did you see? how far was the stalk? shot? what gun and cartridge did you use? were you alone or was my girlfriend with you? (humor since I'm married and don't have a girlfriend)

Congrats again on a sweet ram and POST MORE PICS! I don't even care if I have to turn my head to view them!

Zeke

I hunted alone do-it-yourself. First day hunted to the north in unit 5. Found two rams after hunting about three miles of cliffs. I worked in real close, like 30 yards. They were too young. The biggest looked to be 4 and half years old. I was close enough to count the rings.

The next day I went back to the same area and planned on working farther to the north, but it was snowing and foggy. Couldn't see to glass. After about three hours I gave up and relocated down to Denison Mtn. Found about 16 ewes and one small ram there but it was still foggy and snowing. Saw a group of sheep over on the next mountain and it looked like there were some rams so once again I relocated to the other mountain.

They had been located on a snowy slope so I thought I could find them when I got over there, but that was not the case. Looked for them for about three hours. No luck. I wasn't sure I was on the right slope so I was glassing back to Denison trying to figure out where I was and where I was looking. As I was doing this I located two rams back pretty close to where I had been in the morning.

So back I went. Cut their tracks when I got back there and it didn't take long to catch up. They were bedded and about one hundred yards out. Easy shot for the 300 weatherby. As it turned out I wasn't very far from a two track so short pack out.

It does feel like I should have taken more time but I just couldn't pass this ram. Maybe there are some larger rams in the unit. Don't worry I paid my dues in an unlimited unit in Montana for several years. That makes up for this relatively easy hunt. It is very satisfying to at last have a sheep down.

Thank you Wyoming

One mountain to another and back and forth a few times! It sure sounds like you paid your dues to me! Montana unlimited, Ugh, tough!
Thanks for the story.
It made me feel like I walked a few miles with you. Now I won't have to go to the gym tonight, right? LOL
Thanks a ton sheep hunter!
Zeke

I thought it was 33 but I didn't get a solid count on the group that disappeared on me. They were over a mile away and it was snowy and foggy when I initially saw them. Estimated that group at 12.

Thanks,

Awesome job on a great ram. No need to explain yourself either. I would never pass up,a 167 ram in Wyoming. Congratulations.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom