Sheep equipment

seeleymt

It's a done deal, have a sheep hunt for next year, looking for some suggestions on what kind of boots and backbacks, anyone would take along?
Thanks Brian

I'd be looking into some solid mountaineering boots like La Sportiva or Scarpa. Don't wear a pair of cheap Danner's.

Congrats and good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-13 AT 12:39PM (MST)[p]Congrats on your upcoming adventure. Who did you decide to go with?
Our outfitter gave us a list of things to bring and recommended brands of items. Here are just a few of my recommendations:
Good mountain boots Goretex that fit. There are lots of good brands but I had a very hard time finding the right fit. (make sure you break them in well before going)(mine were Meindels)
Waterproof gaitors
Light weight/high quality everything.
Good sturdy backpack (we used Mystery Ranch- not so light weight but custom fit and sturdy)
Excellent rain gear (we used Sitka, which is pricey) New Kuiu is supposed to be real good.
Good treking poles-learn to hike with them and you will never leave them home.
Tack driving light weight rifle-stainless if possible.
(My son's started to rust in the constantly wet weather)
Good binos (our guides all carried Swaro spotting scopes, so we didn't have to pack the extra weight)
Sorry, That's more than you asked for, but I am excited for you.

Best of luck. Lots of sleepless nights ahead!

As for boots, I think Asolo's are great. That is of course my opinion. When it comes to packs it's hard to find one that fits every bill. I just did an ibex hunt in New Mexico, and the packs made the difference! I used a badlands clutch. It has a rifle carrier, and pouches for my spotting scope and tripod. It's big enough for an overnight in moderate conditions, though some may think its way too big for a day pack. My dad carried a small day pack lashed onto a kelty cache hauler frame. Once the ibex was down I used the frame to haul everything out. The adjustments on the frame are done by a bunch of annoying little pins that are a little noisy too. It's an easy fix with electric tape though. Also the frame has lashing straps for your load, but they are not very long. So bring additional straps for tying down your load. But do not get the kelty frame and pack combo. Just strap a day pack to the frame. It really worked out great.

I almost forgot, get some treking poles. This is the first time I had ever used them and they saved my butt. It made traversing up and down hills easier. The big thing was using it while hauling out my goat.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-13 AT 04:28PM (MST)[p]I recommend the solution pack by blacks creek guide gear. I used it on my sheep hunt and it was the most comfortable ive used. Good boots are a must Kenetrek makes a sheep boot, Asolo, Danners etc are just a few. I ended up using a lightweight boot called SOLOMON QUEST it was the most comfortable for me and was waterproof. A good insole and socks will help your feet from hurting. Here is a pic of me hauling out my ram on the solution pack.
7960resizedimage951385944351098_001.jpg

2219resizedimage951385932717958.jpg

Well it looks like i'am getting lot's of suggestions, really appreciate it. I think picking a backback will be the hardest thing to fine. Been reading on websites not such anyone has the perfect one. I hate to spend that much money and get the wrong one, so the more help I get maybe I will get the right pack.
Thai hunt will be in the NWT the last week of Aug first of Sept for Dall sheep and mountain caribou, getting pretty exicted about it, got to do it before I egt to old, life is to short.
Thanks Brian

As mentioned before...super important to get trekin poles and get used to using them...after a while they become second nature you use lots of engery keeping slight balance and they let your arms tak 10-15 percent of the work instead of for the most part juast hanging there the push ups and supporting load on the way down......it all adds up. You always have 2-3 points on the ground...makes it lots safer too

Seeley
Our hunt was a 10 day backpack, so they insisted on a 6000 pack or bigger. When you get 10 days of food along with everything else loaded, you need a very good pack. Our MR packs worked out great for us but they are a little heavy. They are made according to your body size and type.
The new KUIU packs are lighter and supposed to be real good, but I haven't used one so I don't know how it fits, etc.
We balked at the price as well, but we have since used them to death and they were worth the investment to us.

I would suggest Lowa Tibets, Scarpa, or Hanwag's for boots. You can usually find killer deals for about 50% off if you snoop around on the internet. As mentioned above you need a 6,000+ cu in pack to hold lots of bulk and weight. It's critical to have a super pack harness. I've used and abused an Arcteryx Bora 90 for about 20 years without any problem packing elk, moose, sheep, mtn goat. If you are on a tight budget you can find Arcteryx online, Craigslist, etc for a fraction of the price of others.

Most compact, light gear and clothing comes at a premium price. It generally costs big $ to cut lbs off what you'll be carrying on your back.

Check out the Kuiu pack. I have the older 3000 and 6000 versions, and use them both a lot. Worth the investment, and they are light and sturdy. The newer 7000 model should be just the ticket for your hunt.

Listen to others who said buy trekking poles. The best you can get. Leki, Black Diamond, or even the newer Easton series. The one indispensable piece of equipment that many newbees forget.

Lots of great boots, it just depends on what fits your feet. Hanwag, Zamberlan, and Kenetrek are a good place to start. But they have to fit you, and each brand is a little different. I personally don't like the Asolo, but others swear buy them.

Bill

seeleymt, you are in for the hunt of a lifetime. The must have's are good boots, good raingear (not neccesarly camo), a good back pack, gattors, and as other have said, trekking poles.

Boots: I have Lowas and Kenetreks and love them both. Hanwag, Zamberlan, Crispi, Mendle are all great brands. You need to find one that works for your foot. I do not recomend Danner for this hunt. I like at least an 8" boot.

Raingear: I used Cabelas MTO-50 and wish I had taken just a good set of gore tex raingear instead. If you want camo, look at Kuiu and Sitka, otherwise just find good quality in an earth tone.

Backpack: As mentioned above, you will need at least 6000 cu in. I have a Mystery Ranch pack that I bought back in 2006 that I have used on 3 sheep hunts and numerous elk and deer hunts. I love the pack. It is a true work horse. I decided to try the Kuiu pack last summer for NWT hunt to cut weight and couldn't be happier. I spent 11 days in that pack and never got sore. The Kuiu 7200 pack is light weight and has a lot of pockets to seperate out gear in. I packed 5 elk out in it this fall with some loads over 100 lbs. and it's still going strong. I never hunt with just a day pack as the KUIU is just as light and has straps to compress it in when not full.

Gattors: Any good water proff gators will do. I wore mine every day on the hunt. With the numerous stream crossings they keep you moving and dry as long as the water doesn't go over your knees.

Try not to overpack. The ligther you can go in, the better off you will be. (I think I was at about 45 lbs including gun and ammo) Your guide will most likely add 20 plus pounds to your pack when you hit the ground. I have used numerous packing lists for my sheep hunts, and have change what I put in my pack every hunt. I don't think I have ever wished that had something, but there were times when I wished I had left something home.

Good Luck,
Paul

Not a lot more to add. I will just post some of my most important gear:

-Good flashlight, usually headlamp
-Treking Poles, I love the Black Diamond collapsing poles
-Great socks
-Best boots, everyone has named the brands
-Great pack, KUIU, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch...etc
-Gaitors
-Rain Gear
-Keep in around 40-50 lbs at most

Here is the packing list that Randy Johnson gave me that I follow for back packing hunts:

Clothing
? Smart Wool Socks (3 pair for a 7 day hunt) - Bridgedale Trekkers or Kenetrek
? Polypropelene Liners (3 pair) - Bridgedale
? Underwear Boxer Briefs (1 for every 3 days) - Sitka, Under Armour
? Thermal Underwear Top/Bottoms ? Sitka, Under Armour, Russel
? Pants ? Sitka Asent Pants, Russel APX
? 6 Pocket Hiking Shorts for earlier hunts in hot weather - Cabelas, Columbia Omni Dry, Kuhl's
? Shirt - Synthetic T-Shirt- Russel, Sitka, Under Armour
? Shirt - Long Sleeve - Sitka Core or Traverse Zip T, Russel Explorer
? Gloves ? fleece, or knit shooting gloves. Later hunts will require wool or a weather/waterproof glove.
? Hat (1 light ball cap) HIGH DESERT
? Head Cap/Beanie - Sitka
? Raingear ? Marmot, Browning, Sitka, Russel Raintamer 2, KUIU
? Jacket - Lightweight Sitka Kelvin Jacket and Vest or Russel APXg2 Scent Stop Fleece, KUIU
? Insulated vest for later coldweather hunts (Oct-Dec) ? Down or synthetic fill ? Sitka, Browning, Russel, KUIU
? Cotton Handkerchiefs - (3) two red and one white (can use the white to flag rams sometimes)
? Comfortable travel clothes or fresh hunt clothes to change into if we are at a nice base camp
? Camp Footwear - Tevas, Crocs, Tennis shoes
? Boots (1 or 2 pair) ? Kennetrek Desert Guides or Hardscrabble Hikers, Crispi Spiders GTX - high quality hikers w/new laces and waterproofed leather. Some boots require a vegetable based wax to prevents rands from coming unglued.
? Moleskin, Blister pads, athletic tape, duct tape
? Sleeping bag - Mummy style down bag to reduce weight. Northface, Marmot, Big Agnes., Eberlestock, Sea to Summitt, MontBell. Late season hunts will require 900 fill.
? Tent, if needed. 1-3 Person. 1: Hilleberg?the rest: 2-4 season tent. Big Agnes, Marmot, REI?etc. Focus on weight and reviews.
? Waterproof stuff/compression sack - Granite Gear
? Sleeping Pad - Thermarest Neo Air, Big Agnes Insulated Air Core
? Waterboots - only necessary if hunting the river

Hunting Equipment
? Large pack 5500 to 7000 cubic inch capacity (backpack hunts) ? Internal Frame - Mystery Ranch Kodiac or NICE System, Ebersole, Kifaru, KUIU Icon 7000, Barney's, or Outdoorsmans
? Backpack Rainfly - make sure it fits your pack sufficiently
? Binoculars ? in sheep country we only use our 15 x 56 Swarovski's, Leica's, Vortex, Zeiss
? Lens cloth and small brush with a little hand blower to remove sand from lens.
? 1 small pocket knife - very sharp
? Havels? Piranha Knife w/replacement blades

Rifle Hunters
? Gun & Scope - Lightweight mountain rifle at least in a .25 caliper
? Rifle Sling & Scope cover - neoprene boot or Butler Creek flip-up
? 1-2 boxes of shells - premium factory or reloads with an 8 to 10 round nylon shell holder
? Otis Compact cleaning kit
? Electrical tape to cover barrel ? prevents debris, sand from getting in barrel
? Hard weapon case to be left at basecamp or truck

Miscellaneous
? Digital Camera: 10-12 megapixel w/extra battery, memory card & waterproof case/bag
? Flashlight/headlamp LED - Surefire Minimus, Petzl, Tikka or Princeton w/extra lithium batteries
? 1 Liter Nalgene bottle or Camelbak "polar" bottle
? 1 96 oz size Platypus or Nalgene wide mouth Wat.er Bladder (very important for sheep)
? 1 96 oz collapsible water container
? 2 butane lighters and a box of waterproof matches
? Bug repellent - small bottle for early hunts - Deet is best.
? Sunglasses w/head strap
? Butt Pad - I like the small kneeling pads that you can get at Home Depot for weeding. I've also cut out small pads from my old foam sleeping pads. There are some small blow up pads on the market that are light and work well. These are invaluable for hours of glassing or sitting around a spike camp.
? Titanium cup, fork/spoon
? Small ditty bags - I prefer the colored ones to organize various gear in.
? Compression sack for sleeping bag
? Nylon mess bag to hang food in from tree. Keeps mice and other varments out at night.
? Ziploc Bags - 2 or 3, 1 gallon size
? Garbage Sacks (4)
? Caribou Gear Carnivore Game Bags (Use for meat and cape)
? Hunting license
? Wallet, Credit Card, Emergency Contact List
? Multi Tool. Leatherman Skeletool CX

Personal Hygiene
? Tooth Brush, Small Tooth Paste & Dental Floss
? Small (1-2 oz.) biodegradable liquid soap
? Toilet Paper in a Ziploc bag, individual wet wipes
? Lip balm w/SPF 20 minimum
? Small wash cloths - in desert country wet wipes are more efficient since water is at a premium.
? Small deodorant
? Prescription medication, personal items, antibiotics, etc.)
? Glasses, Reading Glasses or contacts (if required)
? Ibuprofen, Advil, aspirin or Celebrex (anti-inflammatory)
? Band-Aids, medical tape, antibiotic cream, sutures, blister syringe/needle
? Athletes Foot/Jock Itch Cream
? Nail Clippers

Optional
? Spotting Scope-Variable (at least 30 power) ? each guide will have one
? Tripod - very compact
? Small Video Camera w/extra batteries - Canon Vixia is great.
? GPS ? Garmin Legend, 60GX, Oregon
? Range Finder - highly recommended - Leica, Nikon
? Gaiters: Outdoor Research Crocs, Mtn Hardware, Kenetrek, (only for late season hunts
? Sunblock ? SPF 30 ? Important in desert country and for fair skin
? Safety Blanket - light wt. Foil type
? Leki Super Makalu Trekking poles
? Cell phone or satellite phone ? handheld, Iridium or Globalstar w/extra battery and charger in some locations
? Water Filter or Water Purification Tablets or Liquid
? Small notepad and pencil/pen
? Specialty foods/snacks/jerky/gum or other food you enjoy

TIPS FOR PACKING YOUR BACKPACK
Distributing the Weight:
? Heaviest items should be placed close to your back, centered close between your shoulder blades and lower back. This will place the weight over your hips.
? Stuff your sleeping bag into the lowest compartment in a compression bag. With wet weather I will also enclose my bag in a plastic garbage bag. Some clothing can also go in this compartment.
? Organize food items in a nylon bag in middle of pack.
? If packing a container full of water in the desert make sure it does not leak and is in the middle half of pack against your back.
? Other needed items can be organized in color coded ditty bags.
? Additional clothing, small stove, fuel canister, cooking gear can go in upper half.
? Food items, toilet paper, maps, camera, etc, goes in the top lid.
? Side compartments can carry a spotting scope, tripod and your rifle unless there is a built in rifle scabbard.
? Always carry a raincover for your pack.
? Your tent and sleeping pad are usually lashed on the bottom of the pack.
? Tighten all compression straps tightly to reduce the bulkiness of your pack.
? Always carry some repair items in your pack. An extra belt buckle, duct tape, repair kit for your sleeping pad, sewing needle, etc.
? The last item is perhaps the most important - know your pack and how to fit it to your body. This is critical to your comfort.

Boy this great all the suggestions I'am getting. Looks like I will have a lot of research to do. I other question where do most of you buy your boost from? I have feet that sweat a lot and are wide, so need a pair that really fit well, found out buying online doesn't work for me, companies vary to much. only store we have here is Cabelas and not sure they carry what I want, any more suggestions on what to do? Really appreciate everyone help.
Brian

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-13 AT 10:20PM (MST)[p]Brian,

The best place that I've found to by boots is at the hunting expo in SLC. Most of the guys selling the boots there are hunters if not sheep hunters. Another suggestion would be the Wild Sheep foundation convention in Reno. If you have time in January or February it would be well worth your time to attend one of those events.

Bowhunt,

That's a great list!! I've used Randy's list as well, and it never steered me wrong. One thing on that list that stands out is the rain cover for the pack. I know that mine has been well used.

Paul

Bian,

Ask your outfitter if you will be crossing rivers. If so I would recommend the Wiggy's lightweight wader. On my sheep hunt we crossed a river almost every day that at times were mid thigh high. The Wiggys waders weigh almost nothing , roll up into a small pouch and are easy to get on and off. My guide said if he treats them well he can get about two seasons out of a pair. Mine held up for the full 14 days.

Yes lots of good gear advice here. I've got items to suggest that I consider essential for our hardcore Idaho backcountry hunts. In no order:

1. Obviously a great pack. Spend the money. I really like my Eberlestock (j104 or 107...can't remember). Compresses down for day use, unzips and expands for freighter. Handles 100 lb pack outs way better than I do!

2. No matter the pack, be sure to have a scabbard system so you can go hands free. Kifaru makes a great stand alone scabbard that you can use with other packs, and it keeps the gun at your side and much more accessible.

3. Sea to Summit Big River 35 liter dry bag. Super light, rolls up small. Use it to keep gear dry, then put meat in it to keep your pack blood free on the pack out. Have also used them to keep meat cool in a creek when we are a day or two out and the temps are too warm. Easily holds an elk quarter. (Transfer out of bag ASAP for breathability tho).

4. Since you have a cabelas at least check out the meindls. Love my Perfekt Hunters but you may want the Alaskan hunters. You can at least check them off your list.

5. Kahtoola Microspikes. Don't consider any other "traction" device. Indispensable on frozen sidehills or steep plunges. They go on and off in seconds. Also give great traction for water crossings.

6. MSR Dromedary bags, super tough lightweight water bladders that come in different sizes (4 liter is best IMO). Keep one rolled up in your pack, fill when you find a water source.

Powder

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-13 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]For what it is worth, my Wiggy waders lasted 3 river crossings before they started to leak.
They were a waste for my NWT hunt.
Also, we bought quite a bit of stuff online even though we have good local access.
Some, like Mystery Ranch only sell online, but they have great customer support and people to actually talk to.
Lathrop and Sons boots is another.(online) Those guys bent over backwards to help me find a boot that fit.

One thing to keep in mind for a late Aug early Sept NWT hunt is you will get rained on. Make sure your gear can keep you warm and safe even if it rains and snows the whole time.
For a pack I like my Kifaru Bikini frame and DT1 bag. It can carry all the gear you will need and still have room for your sheep while keeping the weight down. I also have the Kuiu which is nice also but the Kifaru is my go to pack now.
For boots I love the Lowa Sheep Hunters (now Hunter GTX). It is best if you can try on a lot of different boots to see what fits you best. For example some people like Kennetrek but they really hurt my feet. You just can't cheap out on the boots and get Danners or some other light boot to save money.
The OR croc gaiters will also help keep you dry since you will most likely get wet.

I also wouldn't have any down gear on my NWT hunt. Synthetic insulation such as Primaloft for your jackets and sleeping bag. Down is so much better for weight and packing but if it gets wet you are screwed.

I think half the fun of a sheep trip is the anticipation and getting all your gear ready. Have fun and good luck.

And then when you're all packed, start throwing stuff out so you'll actually be able to carry it. Haha

I think with all the GREAT tips listed above you can pick and choose and find yourself in excellent shape for your trip.

Great ideas guys. It's always fun to read about what works for other sheep hunters and pick up a few tips.

Zeke

Also, don't forget to pack a paperback book. You will most likely get stuck in your tent for a day or 5 due to weather. At the beginning of August 2011 I was snowed in for 4 days. Since there is no wood to start a fire you are confined to the tent. A good book sure helps pass the time.

What about a backpacking stove? What do you guys use/recommend? Also pans/kits? Also what kind of fuel does it use and how much do you take with you?

When backpacking I use my jetboil. One small conister of fuel (packs inside the jetboil) hasnt run out for me up to 8 days. Cooking morning and night, 2 cups of water each time.
Most my camping is at about 8-10,000 feet, but have used this set up at 12,000+ with no problems.
I also carry 1 metal bowl and a plastic spork.

The jetboil is great if you just need water. We didn't need to worry about a stove on our hunt because our guides packed them. Mine packed a small backpack stove and one small pot. He heated water for freeze dried meals, but was also able to cook up potato buds and sheep/caribou backstraps on it. Uum Uummmm.....!!!!

whatever brand (there are plenty) boot you end up deciding on, make sure it has good protective (preferably full) rands if you are going to be in the talus and scree. You don't want exposed stitched seams running down to the sole, the slide rock will chew em right up and then you've got a blow out

I use a SnowPeak ti stove kit, which is basically a smaller, lighter, more bad ass Jetboil :)

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Snowpeak more bad ass than a Jetboil!! I got to get my hands on one of those.
I remember the day I tried the jetboil for the first time, coming from a MSR stove, I was in aww...

Lots of good info provided above.

Check out the packs at Barnney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage. http://barneyssports.com/backpacks/external-frame.html

A lot of guides use the Barney's packs because they are very good at carrying a lot of gear for a sheep hunt. Do not buy the Eberlestock packs for a sheep hunt. I own the J-104 and it is a great day pack with the best rifle carrier but it is not in the same class as the Barney's pack for carrying weight. My go to pack for the past 15 years is my Barney's.

You can't fly commercial with the canisters for the Jet Boil and the like, some small plane transporters won't even let you fly with it. Finding fuel can be problematic once you leave the modern world.

Not sure I'd worry about a stove anyway. I'm sure the guide has the camp gear you need. Bring some fire starter (again check regs for flying) and plan on cooking meat over a camp fire, or on a hot rock next to the fire. Bring a little pinch of spice. :)

Boned sheep/horns/cape weighs about 85lbs +/-. Hard to say how much you'll have to pack on the way out, but I would presume all your gear and half a sheep at a minimum. Lots of good packs out there that can handle that kind of weight. Archterx, Mystery Ranch, Barny's, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, would be where I would start.

Lots of good advice here. Have fun planning. Keep it simple and don't over pack. You'd be surprised what you can get by with for 10 days. For a guided hunt I would think you can get by with 50+/-lbs of gear including food and your rifle. About the only thing I would think you could leave home would be a tent, stove and a spotting scope.

Good luck on your hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom