Sheep Hunting

nmarchr

Who here is gearing up for Barbary Sheep? I have the units surrounding 30 and I am getting very excited. less than a week to go. One more scouting trip this weekend and I'll be good to go! Good luck to all you sheep hunters out there, post your pics!!!

I'll be headed to 30 pretty soon. Preparing now.
Good luck to everyone. I hope to see a bunch of pictures of big dead rams on here soon. Maybe one will be mine!

Tomorrow is the big day! Who is going out? I wont be there until Saturday because of work. Good luck sheep hunters!!!

Round 1, barbarys: 3, mozey: 0. Saw a total of 27, but eight were on private land, so I don't know if those really count or not, and they didn't seem too interested in coming over to my side of the boundary. I also saw one very respectable ram walking with a limp, but at 500 yards, he was probably within stinky range, but was well beyond mozey range. In my younger days, I could have chased one limping that bad down and tackled him. It sucks, getting old...

Ready for Round 2!

9361img_20120204_141545.jpg

15 inch unit 38 ram. There is a biggger one still i seen it...

That is sweet. Much congrats--I'm impressed with anyone that can nail a barb in a year-round unit.

The mind is willing but the flat feet doth protest too much. Had to give it a rest after three days and 33 miles. All my toe nails are turning black...

That is a cool video, though. You got one tied up somewhere for me that I could just drive my truck to?

Oh YEAH Buddy! I'm Stoked for u brother! Persistence pays off..Any size on a state wide tag is a Trophy in my book. Can't wait to see it, you've had one heck of a season, keep it up. Thanks for helping me on my desert trophy, my carne's all dry, come have some!

Congrats on the sheep! That's awesome.

I hunted the first 3 days of the season.

Day 1: Saw about 5 running like crazy about a mile away

Day 2: BIG SCREW UP DAY! Spotted 1 sheep bed down about 3/4 mile. Made a great stalk to 330 yards. No shot for about 30 minutes but I could see it was a nice Ram. I've never shot one so no experience but he had to be at least 25. Finally provides a standing broadside shot. I have a steady rest and I miss. He runs harmlessly over the hill. Not sure what happened but I'm pretty sure I didn't compensate enough for wind or bullet drop. Either that or I got Ram fever and just pulled the shot. lol Mad at myself the rest of the day for screwing up the perfect oppurtunity at my first Barbary.

Day 3: Still super mad at myself. lol Went back to where I missed the sheep to double and tripple check for blood, nothing. Heard 3 shots real close to me and saw 3 sheep running about 600 yards away. They jump private property fence and run towards me. Stop at 200 yards but on Private, so no dice. Had fun watching them.

So saw about 9 - 10 sheep total and should have had one. Definitely better than my first sheep hunt 2 years ago where I only seen 1. Going back for another 3 day hunt next weekend. Can't wait. Hope I can redeem myself. Can't concentrate at work thinking about that Ram. Darn IT! That's the most heart-breaking miss of my life.

Good luck to all!

Travis

Congrats on the ram!! All we saw in a solid 3 days, countless hours of glassing and at least 20 miles was a single ewe...which got blasted. My so called "secret" sheep spots were OVERRUN with hunters. To bad everyone camps right on top of where the sheep are. I think they ran them out of my normal areas.

Anyhow, congrats on a nice one!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom