Sheep Raffles?

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
I'm sure a lot of you get the packets of raffle tickets from the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society. This year the three prizes in the sheep raffle are a Stone, Dall, and California bighorn hunt. First place gets his pick, then second picks from the two that are left and the third guy gets what's left. Tickets are basically $50 for one, 4 for $100 and so on. I'm curious if anyone knows how many tickets get sold each year. Takes a bunch to pay for three hunts and still make a profit.

Reason I ask (besides wondering what kind of odds there are) is an organization I am involved with has been kicking around some kind of sheep raffle. I know there are several out there (either already drawn or still to go) and I'm wondering how well they work and how hard you have to push the tickets. I can think of several including the one RMBS had in Dec, Ne MI SCI, ADBSS, Eastern FNAWS, Alaska FNAWS (just about all the FNAWS affiliates) and I know there are several others besides the ones a lot of states are having these days. Think we can hit a saturation point? What, if anything, attracts you to a raffle like that? Is it more attractive to have a known, fixed number of tickets? Like the Ne MI SCI has 450 tickets for $100 each. ADBSS apparently has unlimited tickets. Which one do think would work best? Would you rather buy one ticket for $100 and feel like your odds are fair or buy a bunch of tickets for less money each and not know your odds? What is the best way to get the information out there. I know several posts have been made here and on other sites promoting them. Is that enough? What other ways would anyone suggest? I'd really like some feedback.

NVbighorn,

I know for me I like to buy as many as my pocket book will allow.... I like the fixed number odds, but I don't have an extra $100 plus 1:450 is still very poor odds. So, I buy more for less.. I know the odds really suck in any draw or raffle, but the more times your name is in the hat the better your odds are... I don't have any experience with raffle sales or whatever, but theres my input...

Jer

LM - NRA, NAHC, RMEF
Sounds like taking a rifle hunting and only one bullet or a single shot rifle with several bullets - still only one target!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom