Sheep Raffles?

muleymaniac81

I have seen the raffles offered by the GSCO and also the Rocky Mtn Bighorn Society on the CO DOW website. Are there any more that I haven't found yet? If a guy was to invest $500-1000 a year, would you have better odds in the long run than just now starting to acquire points. I'm 26 and can just now afford, both money and time-wise, to start applying for sheep hunts.
I realize that I could just save the money for a Dall Sheep hunt in AK, but I think I could come up with 1000 a year easier than I could save that much every year. Also, what are the approximate costs of a Dall Sheep hunt?
What about Idaho? There seems to be a few areas that are easier to draw, but success is low. Is this a decent hunt or not?
Thanks for you help,
Mitch

Be careful with the word "invest". When you participate in a raffle, you are donating your money. I don't think anyone ever really plans on winning a raffle (unless you can afford unlimited tickets).

Quality Dall hunts in Alaska run $12 to $14K.

Don't get fooled by the myth of "low draw odds in Idaho". The way the draw is conducted, only about 1 non-resident applicant in 200 receives a tag.

If you are just getting into the point game, remember you are WAY, WAY behind in the game.

Don't mean to come off with all this bad news, but just want to let you know how steep the odds are in the sheep hunting game. Every year, someone has to get lucky. Who knows, it may be you. Best of luck.

Mitch,
Most sheep hunters are over 50 years old. Most have some money and or time into the point systems. By the time you are 50 you will have 24 points and all of us old guys will be dead!!! So if you really want a sheep, I wouldn't give up on the points possibilities. Besides many states allow tags with less than top points and so someone with no points gets lucky every year.
Good luck!

depends on if you just want to shoot a sheep or you want a record book contender. and it might sound irresponsible but finance a sheep hunt and make monthly payments on it if your affraid you cant save the money to go in a couple of years, thats what Im looking into and its going to cost me some interest but atleast I get to go when Im still young.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom