Sheep unit 46

I think what blank is saving in a few more words
1. Call the Biologist
2. Google earth
3. Take a drive or 3
4. OnX
5. Internet search the unit, the animal, hiking websites..... Youtube..etc.
6. Get in shape, both physically and mentally. This is not a weekend deer hunt.
7. It's up to you to make or break the tag. Nothing is easy about a sheep tag and if you dont put the effort in prior to the hunt it might not turn out that good

Sorry, got started on my phone and got interrupted. Darn wives and their shopping trips.

Like I said, learn the unit. Huge area and 80% of the unit is great mule deer and only 20% is sheep in the canyons. The Bruneau Canyon Overlook is a good place to look at the country and get an idea of what you are up against. It will not be easy, but will be rewarding. Couple friends have had the tag in the past, and not filled it. There is lots of on-line maps, satellite photos, and BLM surface management maps available to you. Talk to the biologist, they will give you some valuable info. The tons of roads only get you over close to the canyons. Lots of really hard hiking, weather will be a factor, and bring plenty of water gas and tires. Be smart and willing to pass up tough ones in the canyon, that would be to tough to recover.

Sorry, got started on my phone and got interrupted. Darn wives and their shopping trips.

Like I said, learn the unit. Huge area and 80% of the unit is great mule deer and only 20% is sheep in the canyons. The Bruneau Canyon Overlook is a good place to look at the country and get an idea of what you are up against. It will not be easy, but will be rewarding. Couple friends have had the tag in the past, and not filled it. There is lots of on-line maps, satellite photos, and BLM surface management maps available to you. Talk to the biologist, they will give you some valuable info. The tons of roads only get you over close to the canyons. Lots of really hard hiking, weather will be a factor, and bring plenty of water gas and tires. Be smart and willing to pass up tough ones in the canyon, that would be to tough to recover.
80% of the unit is great mule deer hunting…. Care to specify a little input? Just bought a house in the river that boarders unit 46. Thinking about a tag for the 2022 season

80% of the unit is great mule deer hunting…. Care to specify a little input? Just bought a house in the river that boarders unit 46. Thinking about a tag for the 2022 season
I think what he meant is 90% of the unit is a barren wasteland of cheatgrass monoculture, 2% is great mule deer habitat and the other 8% is farmland

What are you wanting to hunt in 46? Sheep - odds are pretty poor and you get one in your lifetime. Elk - odds are worse than sheep. Deer - you might draw a tag once every ten years.

Sorry, didn't want to mis-lead. I was thinking about Unit 47, since that is included in the sheep hunt. I love the Jarbidge country. Yes, odds are pretty bad (which is typical for buck and bull tags). About 5-10% chance, but if you can get a tag there is pretty good hunting.

I wonder if the guy that made the OP ever got a sheep? But most new guys only come on to get a hot spot and never report or come back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom