Sheep units S3 or S49

1Bigbull

I was looking a the sheep regs and these are the only dates that will work for me this year.I am looking for a little input and suggestions.S3 is a rifle tag,S49 is archery. Both hunts are in early August.Thanks in advance.
Jason

Not sure what type of info. your looking for, but if you are serious about archery hunting sheep the success in S-49 is around 25% for the archery hunt! There are some great sheep in this unit, and they will be in Grape Creek, in the steep canyons off of the Arkansas River, and up on Tanners Peak, but you will need time to scout and pattern them during this time of the year. And if they go onto private land, you may need to pay an access fee.

I do not know anything about S-3.

If you are serious about archery sheep, there are better units within the same date range that you are looking at! If December would work out better, I would not hesitate looking at S-38 archery or S-61 rifle. Both hunts start Dec. 1st and are GREAT hunts if you draw.

If you decide to put in for the S-49 or S-38 archery sheep tag, let me know and I can offer some help, time scouting, and even a camp.

Stryker

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-09 AT 01:22PM (MST)[p]not sure what you are asking. Big difference between an archery and rifle sheep tag, of course. Are you a resident and otherwise able to do a lot of scouting, that could be a key factor. would you hire a guide or go DIY. Sounds like you have time constraints. If I only had a week to hunt I'd stay away from S49 as the sheep can be near impossible to find for stretches of time. how many hunting days will you have available.
S49 is a brutal archery hunt. very difficult and most guys eat tag soup. A year where more than 1 person tags out is anomolous.

S35 has same dates as S49, and is more of a traditional high country sheep hunt. S49 is low country full of rattlesnakes and cactus and runs about 95 degree heat every day.

I appreciate the replies. I am a non-resident and this year and the only hunting I will be able to do will be in early august. I looked thru the regs and there is only one rifle tag that would fit my schedule, that is S3. I don't want to waste all of the years applying on a sub-par unit. I am a fairly accomplished archer so I was wondering if it would be better to go archery hunting in a better unit or is 3 ok. 9,12,35, and 49 are available as archey choices that would work for my schedule. I have heard that 49 held big sheep so thats why I mentioned that one over the others. Given my situation, which unit would you guys apply for? I would like a quality hunt with the chance for a nice ram.
Thanks!
Jason

Jason ~

The success for rifle hunters in S-3 is far better than any of the non-res. archery units.

S-35 is a great high country unit that you can set up a base camp from the end of the Greenhorn road. I am very familiar with this unit and it can also be a very tough hunt. I am not aware of any sheep killed in this unit by archery hunters (res. or non-res) since 2002.

Personally, I would stay away from 9, 12, and 35. You would have a great hunt in same great country, but the success rates are very low.

Stryker

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom