Shiras Pictures

I

IDkTm

My dad was lucky enough to draw an Idaho Shiras tag this year and I get to be the "guide/caller/packhorse". Does anyone have some good pics of good size shiras bulls? I'd really love to get him onto a nice bull and I'm sure we can, but any help I can get on judging them would be great. I know to look at width, brows, number of points, and palm width but any more help or tips would be great. Thanks.

Take a look here in the photo gallery; lots of nice moose pics. See Lisa Pascadlo's (aka Predator) for a really massive one. Drop me a line and I'll fill in some details for you on Idaho moose.

gutpile- How did you do that, and can you do it with mine so's I can show Ro another good one? It's on page 2 of the Photo Gallery....thanks in advance if you can.

Robar- I'll pass on what I learned when I drew a Shiras up there, but I promise you, Blank is the expert by far! I guess you and your pop must decide what a 'good' Shiras is to the both of you. For me, the area I drew had strong possibilities for a book animal, so I made that my goal. I checked B&C records for the past 3 years and got a good feel for what makes a good moose. First and foremost, forget the most common mis-conception-that the tines' entire length is counted in the score ( I love a moose with long tines). Each tine, no matter the length, counts as one point. The two strongest factors in a book moose are the measurements of the palm, and this is strongly influenced by the number of brow tines. A solid book moose will have at least 3 brow tines per side, 10-13" wide palm that is 20-30" long. The width of the rack is not nearly as important as the palm length and width; but you hear of people always talking of 50" moose, kinda like 30" mule deer.

So then I came up with my own way of field judging. First I measure a whole loota moose heads, and found that generally their ears are a lot like a mulies-that is, about 22" wide. If I could see obvious daylight from ear to palm, I gave 4" on each side, for a total of 8". If the palm looked double that width, I gave it about 10". That gave me a total width of 40", a good start. So I decided that in the field, the first thing I would look at would be the palm, then the number of brow tines. If these two factors looked good, I would then take a look at the ears and the daylight between. This way, I felt pretty good about being able to judge a moose. And with Blank for advice, who needs a guide? The measurements on my book moose were darn close to what I learned, and he ended up scoring about 151 gross.

HEY BLANK, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR EMAIL???

Hi Lisa! Nothing that I knew of; will double check. Wanted to write or call and see about sightseeing. Got one of my bear hunters a beautiful 5'5" blonde, and the other saw a small chocolate that a 12 year old girl took. Been a lot of work, but fun. Mounted the 2002 antelope thisd weekend, and entered the 2003 in the book at 73 3/4". Gate-Gopher says hi. See Ya.

Nothing from Larry yet; more moosehunters I hope. Have one 66-1 to help. Passed up a beautiful blonde and chocolate boar last night with the muzzleloader. Wore the safety out going on-off-on for 45 minutes. The one night I left the video camera home to charge the battery, too.

RE: B&C worksheet for the best looking critter in the forest

Lisa,
Thanks for posting your info on field judging moose. I too drew a moose tag this year and I found your info. very informative. After all these years of casually looking at moose while hunting deer & elk, now that I actually have a tag I have really been trying to get an idea of what my personal standards should be.
By the way, very nice moose you scored on, congrats! I would be very pleased if I can find one similar to that.

Thanks Again!
HeadHunter

HeadHunter, you are very welcome. In what state did you draw? I have some videos I can also recommend with regards to calling. There is only one on Shiras, but I guess they all respond to calls about the same....

BTW, I forgot to mention. These animals are enormous. Even with Blank and GateGopher, it took us 4 hours to quarter and carry my bull to the truck (80 yards away). Be very prepared. I had to buy a 25 cu. inch freezer for mine, something like 680 pounds of meat. And it is SO NUMMY.

My dad drew a tag in unit 10A, I think hunt 2? They divide the unit into about 5 different hunts. I'm not sure that the unit is known for big bulls, but we know the area really, really well. We've seen some really great bulls, I think in the 150 B&C class in past years so hopefully he'll get lucky on one. Thanks for the help so far guys. Just gotta get him to pass on small ones.

Lisa,
I drew a tag in UT. I can't wait for the season to start. My family owns property in the area, so I have hunted it many times for deer/elk. I hope I don't get an itchy trigger finger with the Ultramag the first time I see a mature bull moose during the season. After many years hunting throughout the West, this is my first once in a lifetime tag. I would really like to get a moose that is nice enough to hang in my office.
What did you do with your moose?? Who was your taxidermist??
Thanks!!
Steve

Head, congratulations! A buddy of mine drew MY moose tag in Utah (at least I tell him that every time we talk), so I'm helping him out a bit. His boy shot a 167 last year, so he's knows moose!

As for your office, I hope you have a big one. My moose is in the living room, or shall I say the living room lives with the moose. Wish I had vauleted ceilings-I don't know how many times I've cracked my head on the antlers. I'll see if I can get one of my digital buddies to take a pic and get it to you.
Email if you get a chance, I'd love to help you out. Gives me an excuse not to work! [email protected]

Id- I'm not familiar with that unit, but I bet Blank is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom