Shooting sticks Bi-Pod or Tri-Pod

J

JB148

I am curious as to what folks prefer to shoot off of. I am leaning toward a tri-pod as it appears to be more steady. Any folks out there using either one and your thoughts. JB

>I am curious as to what
>folks prefer to shoot off
>of. I am leaning toward
>a tri-pod as it appears
>to be more steady. Any
>folks out there using either
>one and your thoughts. JB
>

I always use my tripod for my camera, spotting scope, and shooting. It kills 3 birds with one stone so to speak and I carry it where I can get at it quickly!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-14 AT 02:11PM (MST)[p]>I always use my tripod for
>my camera, spotting scope, and
>shooting. It kills 3
>birds with one stone so
>to speak and I carry
>it where I can get
>at it quickly!

plus one!

I prefer to carry the least amount of junk as possible and the tripod works fine when a natualy rest is unavailable. I don't want more junk on my rifle.
With that said, 98.3% of the time I use a tree, rock, mound or bush. Mother Nature usually provides the best rests for me.

Zeke

I agree with Top and Zeke. My pack is my #1 rest. If I can't find a rock or brush to get high enough, I use my spotting scope tripod. I'm not carrying or attaching anything extra.

OOPS, you're right sagebrush!
My pack rates right up there too. I just lost my head for a minute.
Zeke

I bought a Triclaw like this one in my Elk hunt last fall. Will use it with my tripod, spotting scope too.
1142nvbull02.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Ihave used the window in my truck for 30 years ,,, seems to work ok,,,,, and at the cost of a new truck use what you can!

I have tried to carry a bi-pod on my rifle but rarely use it, just adds weight. One time I tried to use it, it took me longer to adjust it (sidehill) than it was worth, got sick of messing with it and made do without.
Like Zeke said above, mother natures are by far better rests (rocks, trees, mound etc.. and pack if needed).
Personally I LOVE a solid tree to lean my forearm hand on, sitting, kneeling or standing it is perfect!

I basically only use it for practice now.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Check out these sticks they are the steady, versatile and weigh less than a pound. They hold both the front and back of the rifle making it ultra steady. Go to @highandheavyoutfitters.com and check them out...

33242013-06-03_19.45.26.jpg

That looks complicated. I guess if you had eons of time to setup, then anything would work pretty well. Most hunting situations call for relatively quick decisions.

That's whats great about them, if its a quick shot use them like regular sticks if you have the time open them up get even more steady. A lot of the time the terrain will not allow you to lay prone or shoot comfortably from a sitting position.

I use BogPods. They double as walking sticks, adjustable to my height. I'm 6'4" and it's been difficult to find shooting sticks that are tall enough.

I won't go hunting without them. They are in my hand at all times, no need to take off the pack, find a rock, bush or whatever. Sit, and shoot. Simple as that.

If I have to shoot further than 400 yards, then I go prone and use my pack.

personally i am a fan of the bipod. ya its a little heavy but im ok with that. ive practiced enough and can be set up pretty quick. also its super convenient for setting your rifle down pack at camp. no worries about it sliding of a tree or tipping over. i have used my tripod before, but like the bipod better.

"Shoot Straight"

I also like mountain mahogany deadfall, but it is a little heavy to carry. Here is a pic of the wife using it.

5983051_small.jpg

After losing two sets of shooting sticks I made some out of willows. No big loss if I lose them! I also use my spotting scope tripod if I have time.

I use the SnipePod as well. Weight nothing, adjust well and steady when set. Like most of you, I will still utilize a good tree when available.

-WB

Guess I carry more then the rest of you. I always carry a Harris bi-pod either on my rifle or in an outside pocket of my pack, spotting scope and tripod, and a set of Stoney Point PoleCat walking/shooting sticks. This usually gives me the required stability for any range or situation. I prefer to shoot prone with the bi-pod and my pack whenever possible. If that does not work I move to one of the other combinations.
61222_4x6.jpg

Bi-pod and pack allowed my son to be steady enough for these two shots neither animal moved an inch. 325 yard neck shot at bedded antelope.
7890009_4x6.jpg

200 yard shot through tree limbs at bedded buck.
8380011_4x6.jpg

I can only do this laying prone with a bi-pod and pack.
7110005_-_copy_-_copy.jpg

Bill

I also use my pack or limbs or anything else handy, but if time prevails for me to pull out my sticks I carry snipe pod attached to my pack.

Thank for the input. I have an old school Swaro ST80 with a Manafratto? tripod that is heavier than a dead priest. I currently us a Harris bipod that has worked well. JB

I made them out of hard wood dowels. First I drilled out the ends and put arrow inserts into the ends and used JB weld to glue them in. Then for the feet I used screw in archery field points, either the big hard plastic ?rubber? type or I can use the pointed metal tips. Depending on what I am doing I can change them.
I finished the wood and sealed it to keep out the moisture. Then I drilled the top and added gun sling swivel studs. Then I made a leather strap with a set of uncle mikes sling swivels. This gives me a leather spot to lay my gun in and it won't allow the sticks to be over spread. I also use the strap to attach it to my back pack.
Last I added mole skin to quiet the sticks down. I have killed an antelope buck using them in a ground blind. They are just under 4? long. My son is practicing with them. Ron

Xsticks3.jpg

Xsticks2.jpg

Xsticks1.jpg

Xsticks4.jpg

Jacobshootingoffsticks.jpg

While out guiding pig hunts a guy brought out a 50 cal bmg
5972image.jpg

Needless to say, he demonstrated the power of the gun by harvesting a pig
3539image.jpg

After finishing the hunt we decided to shoot the gun at some targets. The gun was set up with a bipod and a monopod built into the buttstock. We were making pretty accurate shots out to 800 yards, granted this was a 15,000 dollar set up. I liked the set up so much I adopted it for my rifle.
464image.jpg

It gives you a solid 3 point rest that adjusts by simply twisting the monopod higher or lower giving you a dead still shot that can be shot with extreme ease. ( one hand set on the trigger, one on the monopod. It has quick adjusts and a fine tuning screw adjust to raise or lower aim until it is right on target.
954image.jpg

It is the most stable setup I have found and I love it. The bipod is a Harris bipod and can be adjusted to whatever height I want to set it to based off the inched notches on the legs
1399image.jpg

It's quick and easy to adjust and helps improve rapid accuracy.
9768image.jpg

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you
down to their level and beat you with experience."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom