Short season, but I can’t complain

Bux n Dux

My elk season ended quicker than I originally anticipated, but I certainly won’t complain.

I spent opening weekend hunting pronghorn with my dad on his LE tag, so my first time to hunt I had for myself was Tuesday. My early season tactic had always been sit water. But since every trail on the mountain was a river due to all the rain we were having, I knew i would have to chase one down on foot. After work that day, I found a herd of elk, made a stalk, got within 60 yards when a nosy cow came in behind me at 15’ right as I was drawing my bow on what I call a 1.5x4, spike bull. She barked and they bolted before I could get a shot. Thursday, more rain again, I headed up early afternoon and tried to relocate the same group. As luck would have it, they were in an even better spot for a stalk. It took me over an hour to ninja down through some thick pines to the opening they were feeding in. Once in position, I sat in the pouring rain for an hour waiting for a shot at the spike. He was in the middle of some oak brush raking his antlers with not a care in the world, 65 yards from me. My wind was great, but the elk were slowly headed that direction and I knew at some point they would smell me. I sat ready and waited. Finally the lead cow hit that wall where my scent was and she went into full alert. I knew I’d have some time to get drawn and make a shot on the spike when she sounded the alarm since he was so preoccupied with raking that bush. Sure enough about 30 seconds she let out that bark. As soon as she did I drew my bow. He ran out into the opening, turned broadside looking straight away from me. I settled pin, squeezed the release and watched that 2 blade rage bury dead center in him right behind the shoulder. By the way he reacted on impact, I knew he wouldn’t go far. I still gave him 40 minutes just to be sure. Immediately found great blood and followed it for about 50 yards where I found him dead just over the hill. It made for a long night by myself quartering the bull and packing what I could. Had to make the another trip with my brother the next morning for the rest. Even had a nice bear come in on us while we were loading up our packs and watch us for a minute at about 30’ before it ran off. First bear he’s ever seen outside Yellowstone.

Sure glad I keep buying these multi season tags just to tag out on the bow hunt every year ?

IMG_3950.jpeg

IMG_4030.jpeg

Why doesn't it surprise me you would shoot a Rage? No pass through? Even though you are a dick I'll still say congrats on a bow kill, good work.
When you aren’t an Rtard and have a proper setup, Rage broadheads are incredible. It stuck into the thickest part of the off shoulder. With a 64# bow, it’s pretty tough to get a pass through on a bull elk when it goes through a rib and slams into the off shoulder at distances further than 40 yards.

This bull was posted on a Facebook group asking if it was a legal spike.
The way the regulation reads it is legal but not sure I would have been confident enough to harvest. Guessing quite a bit of glassing and deliberation was done prior to make sure.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom