SHORT STORY CONTEST

ForkWest

Very Active Member
Monster Muleys, first annual short story contest.

We all feel it?the hunts are getting closer?the anticipation is getting higher?the scouting is beginning?and preparations are being made. We research, study, dig through maps and read and read and read to quench the thirst. The magazines are worn, the MM archives have been dissected, and still we just can't get enough.

I propose, with the blessing of those folks that matter, a Monster Muley?s short story contest. Stories, true or fiction, that showcase the passion, the drive, the grit, the dedication, the legend, the nostalgia, the camaraderie, the memories and emotion that we all carry deep and know encompass the sport of hunting fair chase. Lay it on the line, give us your best, and know full well we are all hunters first and foremost, not writers and authors. Raw, unpolished words that carry meaning and description are the criteria.

Maybe let the mods pick a winner, and a second people?s choice winner. No limit on entries, honor code on plagiarizing. Give it two weeks or so, enough time to drum up a few prizes, maybe a Never Enough III DVD (what do you say Prism ;-) ) or a Huntodds.com hat ( I'd bet Oddnut1 is good for one :7 ), I'll round up something good as well.

Participation will make this fly, so post em up. I'm looking forward to it![b/]

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-07 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-07 AT 12:44 PM (MST)

Why not. I posted this on the Archery Forum a couple weeks ago. Its a decent little read.

"Tejon Ranch Tales"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-07 AT 10:39 PM (MST)

For those of you that have hunted the Tejon Ranch, you know it is a really special place. To say that the 3 of us were excited for this trip was an understatement. I used to hunt the ranch a fair amount, and would come home and tell wifey about the adventures that buddies and I had chasing hogs there with our bows. This trip popped up, and we jumped on it pronto!

We started out meeting most of the group Friday morning for breakfast and then it was off to the north end of the ranch. We met Ron Gayer, our Tejon Ranch rep there and got checked in and settled all of our gear. Since we didn't go all that way just to sit around, we camoed up and hit the hills at about 2:30. I had a few spots I wanted to hit first thing, so we took the long bumpy ride to a good take off point. The plan was for wifey and I to walk a wet, cool creek bottom for a couple miles around to a point that we would meet up with our good friend Mike, who went the opposite way around the mountain. We walked for about 30 minutes to get to the creek area. As soon as it was in sight, I looked up and spotted 4 nice boars at about 90 yds. We slowly single filed it towards them but the wind was not good. The biggest boar, a 175-200 pounder, popped his nose up and hauled booty! The others stayed and wifey set up for the shot. She missed, and the game was over. We worked a little further up the creek where we split up and walked separate sides of the thick, wet creek. Slowly walking the creek edge, looking in the dark little holes, I peeked around the bend and noticed what looked like the hairy spine of a hog. I crept forward and could tell that it was a boar, and a nice one at that. He was dead asleep, lying in the mud in the creek bottom. I pulled back and took the 15 yd. shot. It was perfect. He ran about 25 yds. and expired. He?s a big, ugly old boar with no ears, about 230-240#. Cool! One down, could have been 2 down, and we're an hour into the hunt!

Saturday morning started out pretty slow. Most of the group was up pretty late as we had a few extra guests at the cabin that night. I think their names were Jack, Captain and Patron, but I could be wrong. Most of the day was pretty uneventful for us. We did spot a group of 10 hogs up on a high ridge. Mike got pretty close, but couldn't make it happen.

Sunday morning we headed out with a great plan, but the best plans have been known to fall apart. Sometimes that's bad, but sometimes it turns out pretty good in the end. We had dropped Mike off at a point, and wifey and I were going to meet up with him mid morning at a set point. We started our hike and found a big group of cattle right where we needed to walk through. Normally, no biggie, but they started to bump through the valley that Mike was walking up. I didn't want to have the cows scare everything out of that valley before Mike got to it, so wifey and I came up with plan B. We headed to a ridge I have walked many times. Over half of the times that I have been on this ridge, groups of pigs have crossed in front of me. We start our walk down the trail and we pause to look at a couple of small pig looking rocks about 200 yds. down the trail. When we put our binos down, I look right, wifey looks down to the left. PIGS!!! A group of about 20 crosses the trail at 42 yds. She pulls back, but the pigs just keep on coming and do not stop. Finally the last hog pauses for her shot. She had been at full draw for about 2 minutes and was getting a bit wobbly. Piggy pauses, wifey shoots just over his back! Dangit! Our hearts were pounding and we were a little bummed. While saying our %$(#?s and @#)?s, I spot a straggler coming up and over. She pulls back, and at 61 yds. whacks him! I could tell it was a little back. We gave him a little while and started looking for blood. Mike had joined us by this point. We looked for blood for about 3 hours without finding a dot. We were pretty bummed out, and as all of you know, if you can't find any blood, your odds are not good, right? I had yelled across the canyon that it wasn?t looking good, and we should probably move on. Dejectedly she yelled back that she concurred. Back up the hill we go, heading for the main trail. I veer a little to the right just to take a look and when I get to the trail, guess what I see. I yelled ?arrow!? Wifey and Mike come over. We find blood and the game is on! We had seen the pig run down hill, but he had cut back to the road. We were way off! We take 10 steps down the trail and I look over to my right. There he was, stone dead and only about 120 yds. from the shot, and 10 yds. off the road. He?s a nice 150-160# boar. AWESOME!!! We won't be buying any lottery tickets for a while. Our luck is used up for a while.

Sunday afternoon we headed back to the same ridge to see if we could get Mikes tag on a pig. We pulled up to the trailhead and chatted for a minute, had a soda and gathered our gear. The plan was that Mike and I would walk the ridge road a mile or 2 down, and then wifey would pick us up at the bottom. We got about 50 yds. away from the truck and heard pigs in the trees next to us not 30 yds. away! UNBELIEVABLE!!! There was no shot through the trees. We kept looking, and all of a sudden a nice boar pops up on the edge of the road. Mike pulls back, I call the range at 36 yds. Mike told us he was just putting the pressure on the release trigger when the pig busted. Two more seconds and it was game, set, and match!

We had a blast and can't wait to do it again. The Tejon Ranch is an amazing ranch. We saw pigs, deer, elk, bobcats, turkeys and raccoons. The JHO crew was a lot of fun to be with. Ron Gayer was outstanding, and made us some of the best grub you could ask for anywhere! Thank you Ron, and thanks too all the guys on the hunt for making wifey feel welcome in hunting camp!

Over and out???

467823cc758f5598.jpg

4678241276343087.jpg

I WILL

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-07 AT 02:33PM (MST)[p]I WILL

I'd killed once before with my bow, the second year with it in hand . It was a fluke deal, happened so fast I really didn't have time to process the whole incident. The buck jumped, it stopped, I shot, it died, that fast. Beginners luck I guess, and I come away with a nice 3x4 muley, a good way to start my bow hunting career. I was happy, but not satisfied, in fact looking back its one of the least memorable hunts I've had. What happened next was a twist of fate. With my deer tag notched, elk now became the focus. I never got one the year, but the fire was light and there was no turning back

The next season rolls around and I'm fired up, I mean I'm fired up! I lost sleep for the three months heading into the season due to anticipation. My productivity at work was down the tubes. I practiced every night. Man, I'll tell you I was so pumped it was contagious. Between my hunting partner and I we were ready and rearing. Things were rolling too good. The boss stops in a week before the hunt, in true boss like fashion my opening week hunt was cut down to two days due to an emergency trip I had to make to Italy, no questions asked, and the rest of the archery season was iffy. If there ever was a person committed to two days of all out hunting it was me. I WAS going to kill and elk, and I WAS going to do it in two days, I WAS!

By pure effort and time in the field over the last couple years, we'd happened on to a true public land honey hole if there ever was one. The prospects were bright as elk were plentiful, and people weren't. Funny thing as this drainage lies only 500 yards from one of the busiest Forest service roads in northern Utah. We nicked named this hogback hole, as a fairly bare ridge stands out as a protruding island in this tucked away pine covered basin. A half mile and 900 feet elevation loss off the top or two and a half mile up from the bottom were the only two feasible ways in or out. We had it to ourselves.

Thunder woke us about the same time as the alarm opening morning. A slight drizzle and low clouds were the order for the day. Partner has three weeks ahead of him to hunt, and opts for the warmth of the bag. I gear up and dive off the top, elk bugling and rain drops smacking my hood. Within minutes of hitting the valley floor I'm in to elk. Yellow butts in the trees, quiet wet ground, and some skill full stalking had me at 60 yards with in no time. A small draft and its over, oh well it only 10 minutes in to shooting light.

A full day of hunting hard, with a couple more encounters had me tired. I made my way up to a small meadow with a well used wallow and pond late in the afternoon. I Checked the wind and found a nice grass spot tucked behind the perfect natural blind. I rested, ate, and enjoyed the now emerging sun. Wait?there just under the sun on that high exposed ridge?is it?yes?elk? fifteen of them and they're bee lining it for my water hole. I jump to my knees, make preparations, re-rangefind my predetermined land marks. Nock an arrow, and wait, and wait, and wait. They didn't show. By now they certainly should have entered my waiting trap, especially with the pace they had been making. Time stood still, every thought, every scenario, all the anticipation raced through my head. I was ready, but they weren't. Thinking maybe they were hung up in the timber still apprehensious to expose themselves, I let out a few soft mews. Instantly twigs were snapping and the cow talk was heard. There they were, the whole herd on the far side of the now shady meadow. They made their way slowly but steadily towards the water, which was right towards me. My mind was racing, my hands were shaking, and my heart was pounding against my camo shirt. A frisky spike raced to the lead, and continued forward, 50 yards, 40, 30, 20. He stopped, took one more step, turned broadside, and began to feed. It could not have happened any more perfectly. I draw with all my power in the contored crouched position I'm in and slowly, slowly raise above the tall thistle brush in front of me. I enter subconscious motions, actions that have been engrained over the last several months of practice. I WILL make this shot. Anchor, pick a spot, focus??????.release. The next thing I see are bright green fletchings surrounded by elk hair, and he's gone. I listen with all the focus I can muster, crashing, crashing, and more crashing while it gets quieter and quieter as he puts distance between him and I, then silence. I crash to the ground, hands shaking, and mouth as dry as a bone from several minutes of rapid breaths.

I could only wait 20 minutes, although I now you're supposed to wait longer before picking up the blood trail. It was faint but present. Slowly and methodically I advanced reading every clue tracking every footprint and rejoicing at every red drop. After 300 yards and all alone I proudly, solemnly and slowly lifted the head of my trophy, with a feeling only a hunter has felt. I WAS going to do it?and I DID. The reward was magnificent, beyond description, and the memory to this day, even as I type this brings chills to my spine. I WILL do it again!

46783d7e5593a7d3.jpg

September 3, 2005 found me in unfamiliar territroy as I had, in desperation, checked the fouth chioice on my New Mexico elk application. I had drawn an early hunt in GMU 23 and had no idea where to start. Months of pouring over topos had me no closer to confidence but here I was. All alone on the side of the road at first light pumped to the gills. I had driven all night to be here and was a little stiff to say the least! Just for grins, I let out a cow call from the truck to see if anything would happen. Immediately i got a bugle in return, but my thought was, that sounded pretty good Mr. Hunter. That's when my mind came back to full function. Get out of this truck and set up just in case! Well, my bow case was burried under twelve tons of stuff I would find out later would never be unpacked, but somehow I managed to get it out. About the time I got to the tailgte I saw a small 6x coming over the hill straight at me. He finally looked up again and spotted the truck and jusr froze at eighty yards. We had a standoff for a couple of minutes and he made the decision to go elsewhere, but every time he would turn to go, I would call and he would turn back around to look. We played this game for about ten minutes and I decided to let him get out of sight so maybe I could get in a better position. Well, when he left, he was gone. No big deal. This was my first day of seven and now I was pumped! First light, right off the road and I have already called one in. Maybe this is my year after all.
My parents wwere driving out there to meet up with me at around noon so I took a little exploratory hike to see what else was around to be found. I couldn't even find any fresh sign to tell me that small bull was there!
After meeting up with my parents and setting up camp, it was decided that Mom was NOT going to sit in camp all day every day. She wanted to be out there so she would drive me to the spot I had picked out and wait in the truck for me to return hours later. I wasn't too cool with the idea of her sitting out there all alone in strange country but there was no talking her out of it.
We spent the next three days scouting out the area but it was the same story over and over. No tracks, no rubs, OLD droppings, no bugles! On the afternoon of the fourth day we went into town to get a few supplies and a good hot meal and I saw some great looking horns outside of a taxidermists shop. I thought I'd have a look and the owner came out and struck up a conversation. I told him of my poor luck so far and he said that the bulls were just starting to get cranked up and only for about the first hour of light. He told me of a new area miles from where I'd been looking and said it was where he always found them. I thanked him and headed off to dinner kind of hoping I wasn't off on another wild goose chase.
Day five found Mom and I sitting in the truck at 4:30am, listening for bugles in our new area and it didn't take long. Four different bulls, all within four hundred yards of us and they were cranked up! As the sun started up I got out and started heading toward what sounded to be the big boy, but he had other plans. they were all headed up the mountain and I was at the bottom. Needless to say they were a little quicker than i was and I lost the race.
Day six found us there again with the same results but it was a time to remember. I had a seventh day to hunt but I was exhausted and a little depressed so I made the call to head on home as I figured I needed to rest a little before going back to work. Mom rode with me and we talked about our experiences for six hours all the way home. It was decided that if she was so dead set on tagging along then she was going to learn to call and really go along!
In '06 I decided that I was hunting my beloved GMU 34 or else! I had to buy a landowner's tag but I was in! Two days before opening day my cousin and I drove up to see what we could see and found an absolute monster. Mom had to work but there was no stopping me from trying to get this one, so opening morning found me climbing a shinnery infested hillside in the dark trying to get on his ridge before first light. I hunted for him for about five hours without seeing an elk period, and I knew there were lots of them there. Then I topped the ridge overlooking the waterhole and found the problem. Four Wheelers! They weren't supposed to be up there but there they were. I was so disgusted that I went back to the truck and called the whole thing off.
The differential blew out in my truck on the way home so now I had a dilema on my hands. My wife, bless her, said I could use her Ford Escape if I would "take care" of it. Not your average elk hunting ride but it would have to do!
I had two days to work before my vacation started but Monday morning found Mom and I in big boy's canyon again. There were hunters everywhere! We decided to look elsewhere as my idea of elk hunting is not with fifteen other guys chasing the same elk. We took a hike in one of my old standbys but got no responses and called it quits to try again tomorrow. We parked the truck at around 5am and were pleasantly surprised to hear my favorite song in the world being played about half a mile away. As we were sitting there waiting for the sun to give us a little light, I noticed a pair of headlights coling up the road but they disappeared around a corner never to reappear. I knew what was happening, so I drove up the road to talk to them. Four wheelers! These guys were cool enough to park beside the road and were just getting ready to hike in when I pulled up. I informed them that we had been parked for about thirty minutes and were planning on heading up the canyon they were parked in. They said "oh, OK", and continued to get ready. OK, I can deal with this. We went back to our parking spot and got going. We followed two bulls over a couple of ridges and wound up at those other guys blind! It wasn't intentional but as I see it, what goes around comes around!
We never did see either one of those bulls as I think they both already had cows and were not interested in leaving them long enough to find the one chasing them. I like to go on what we call photo safaris with Mom so we spent the afternoon looking for differebt kinds of flowers and sceenery to take pictures of. I know, some elk hunter I am! We enjoy our time together and that's what we do.
The next day we tried a place a buddy of mine was dying to get me to go into. I think he wanted to know what was in there but didn't want to walk that far to see but that's another story. At first light we heard a faint bugle but he was already on top and I knew catching up with him before he shut up was going to be hard at the least, but what else were we here for? Up the hill we went. Mom is a real trooper when it comes to hunting and she held in there till we reached the top. You guessed it, not another peep out of him. I sat down and started glassing to see if what I could find. There! An elk bedded down under a tree in the shade. It was just a cow but it was an elk! We had a valley to cross that would put us right across the canyon and still half a mile away but I figured there might be a bull with her that I couldn't see. When we got there my thoughts were proven right as there were several elk bedded there. It took a while to find him but he was there, a decent 6x. It was decided that I would put the half mle stalk on him and Mom would watch through the spotting scope. I had it easy until I got to the bottom of the hill where there was NO cover. Just grass, knee high grass. Four hundred yards of belly crawling later I was low enough on the hill to get up and walk again. Somehow I got turned around and was silently stalking behind them! I had managed to make a circle around thinking where did they go? I looked back at where I'd come from and figured it out. Thirty yards into my corrected course I saw the original cow. Ok, he's about fifty yards to your right. Two steps that way and there he was, laying down, asleep! The rangefinder said 23 yards. I can't move without maybe busting him so I just waited. I have a window about 3 feet wide, if I squat down I think I can thread it through without hitting a branch. Twenty yard pin, this is too easy. It all happened so quickly I had to replay it in my mind to figure it out. My arrow hit a branch at the top of the window and hit the ground right below his elbow. That hill exploded with elk and left me with mixed emotions. A little down over midding such a close shot but also elated at being so close to my dream.
I had almost run over a nice 6x6 on the highway last year in a spot I wouldn't even think of hunting so I thought we'd see what there was in there. First light found us walking up a small rise and hearing bugles just over the hill! Three different bulls all not too far off. This is it! They're talking and we're close! We got on top and set up for a call. They would answer every time but refused to move. I got a little frustrated and let out a bugle of my own complete with the thrashing of a tree with a big stick. This was all the biggest sounding one could stand. The next time I heard him, he was several hundred yards farther. OOPS... Mom spotted an elk across the draw and when I put the binos on him he turned out to be a small 5x5. No way I'm chasing him with a herd bull in the area. The herd bull completely left the canyon but left me with a good feeling for tomorrow.
That night I studied the topo and found a road that would let me come into the canyon from the opposite side. So there we are...4:15am parking the escape, and they start in throwing insults at each other, and we are WAY too close! These bulls are 100 yards from the truck. Maybe closer! I can tell by the sound that it's the herd bull and the little 5x. At 4:45 I saw headlights pull into the gate off the highway. I turned on my running lights to let them know I'm there and much to my relief they go on. Not too pleased by the sound of that powerstroke but I don't care at this point given all my "good fortune" with other hunters so far this year. As the sun started showing itself, we got moving. We went up the hill until it flattened out into a pretty good sized meadow. I cow called and got an immediate answer from the herd bull followed by the little guy. This is it, they sounded to be about 150 yards out and maybe old big boy will come see us. A few more calls and nothing. We waited about five minutes and then for no apparent reason the hill erupted in a thunder of hooves. I checked the wind and it was in our face so it's still a mystery what happened. We had no other choice but to head off in the direction they were going so that's what we did. It was easy walking so we were making pretty good time and after a half mile or so I tried a call. The little guy answered me right back. I called again and nothing. We continued going towards him and after another two hundred yards he answered again, but only once and he was moving away. Two hundred yards and call, answer, moving away. I told Mom we had to hurry, and not worry about making noise as a couple of cows would not be too quiet either so we took off at a very fast walk trying to close some distance. After going three hundred yards this time and crossing a fence, I called again, this time with some urgency. I gave him a thorough chewing out. He answered back a little closer this time. We were catching up! After about a hundred yards I couldn't stand it and gave one call. He answered back and was coming back to us! I quickly ran forward about thirty yards and knelt down beside a good sized juniper tree. Mom stayed back and gave a couple of calls and he answered right back at less than 100 yards. He was coming! It only took about five minutes and I saw his horns over the shinnery. When he stepped into view I knew for sure it was the little guy but Mom had him hooked and I knew I would shoot if he kept coming. He was looking right over me searching for the cow in the trees and glunking. This was the most excited I have ever been in my life. I started to wonder if I was going to be able to shoot at all. I came to full draw when he went behind a tree and wouldn't you know it, he stopped! I held for what seemed like an eternity and started to shake. Even with 80% let-off on my outback I was starting to fatigue. I put my wrist against the tree and everything got much calmer. Why hadn't I thought of this before? All I could think was "this is just like shooting a rifle with a rest!" A quick check for limb clearance revealed nothing in the way. He came on a rope and at thirty yards I decided that I could make the shot. He was quartering towards but I had an article from Peterson's about shot angles in my head so I put the thirty yard pin just inside his left shoulder and let it go My arrow disappeared and I wasn't too sure where. As he turned to run, I saw something sticking out of his chest about two feet long and thought "Oh NO, no penetration!" I tried a cow call to stop him and it worked. He looked around for about a minute and I realized that my "arrow" was a solid stream of blood. I knew I had him. When he decided to leave it was too late as his first step failed him and he crashed. I looked back to see if Mom had seen what I had and she was running at me full speed. She jumped up and I caught her in midair! The hill erupted in noise one more time as we celebrated OUR successful hunt.
My bull definitely isn't the biggest bull in the woods but he is definitely the greatest trophy I have to date because of the way it took place. Time in the hills is just that unless you are with friends and family. You can kill the world record elk and he will just become a fixture in your wall if there aren't special moments from the hunt you remember to keep it real.

Here's one o' mine by popular request:

I just thought I'd share my absolutely hilarious AZ Coue's adventure. Believe you me, it will make you laugh. I drew 23 and since I don't get the opportunity to hunt the little buggers all that often, decided to go guided. The guide was absolutely awesome, he and I got along so well it was like being with a big brother. His attitude was positive, heck he even sang while cooking, you could just see how much he enjoyed the job. Anyway, we worked our butts off trying to not only find a buck, but a shooter. We averaged 16 does a day, but rarely saw a buck. The youngun's we did see were definitely rutting, but it was a real mystery as to why the bigger bucks were hiding. I'm sure the moon didn't help, it started out nearly full and stayed pretty bright even as it shrunk. It got to actually be kinda funny, and the guide and I set each other up several times a day by saying things like "Holy cow....that's the biggest dang doe I've ever seen" or "C'mere, hurry, it's another doe".

On the second day, I got sicker than a dog and started hacking up a lung. It was on the third day we saw the bear. Not just a bear, but the biggest chocolate colored, fawn-nosed, big-bellied sucker of a blackie either one of us has ever seen! We busted to camp and verified that the season was still open. The next day we planned to buy a tag. Unfortunately the next day my voice left and I began hacking up the other lung. Went to the nearest town, but there were no urgent care type place to be seen. I was coughing so hard that it brought tears to my eyes and made me dry-heave.

There was a Wal-Mart tho, and with 30 bucks of cold remedies and a bear tag in my back pocket, we were back at it. When I called my family that night to share the exciting prospect of an AZ safari, me own mudder prohibited me from killing the bear. In fact, she said she'd stop speaking to me if I did!! Then my sister cursed me and both said they would tell God to make the bear hide so I couldn't kill it. I had no idea that there were bear-lovers surreptitiously hiding amongst my blood relations.

Lo and behold, on the fifth day it 'twas we went in search of a hopeful buck/boar combo. I hacked both lungs, now a lovely wet metallic tasting something, into the back of the guide's head all the way up the mountain, with my ears throbbing. What he thought was the quad's springs was actually me moaning in pain. We got to the area at the perfect time, and what did we find going on? A freakin' 30 mile an hour wind, that's what. Now you guys tell me how it can be calm at camp, calm all the way to the trailhead, calm on the ride, but howling wind in the one basin we wanted to hunt?? Not only that, but it kept up until the exact hour the deer normally bedded- 10 AM, at which time it completely quit. We saw no deer, and no bear. And I swore my family would pay for their apparent power of suggestion to God. We went back to camp where I continued the multi-hued hacking of my lungs. I had to admit that there was no way I could go back up high, my eardrums were killing me in camp, and that basin would require fairly strenuous packing out if we scored. I didn't want the guide to end up packing out his client, and we went back to deer hunting in the low country.

That afternoon as I was sucking tailwind in the truck, the guide jumped on the quad to check out a different quad trail. He came back in ten minutes and said he'd just jumped a shooter that was as wide as his ears and that he wasn't very spooky and just walked into the next drainage. I dragged myself out and we spent the next two days trying to find him. We heard him several times, but could never actually see him. On day 6, the guide's obligation to me was done, and we sadly parted as new friends. He was off to see his girl (and boy oh boy does he love this girl!) for a couple days, then he was off to 36 and then to Mexico.

I had scheduled my flight a couple days later, and tried to change it, but Delta said it would cost me half a grand. I told 'em to pound sand, checked into the local yokel motel and made a hard decision.

Yep, I was gonna hunt out of a rental car. Not just any rental car, mind you- but a silver Ford Taurus. Yessir, I figured I could get to within one mile of that buck's canyon if I just went realllly reallllly slow. After all, what have I got to lose? I had two days to finish killing myself with what is probably pneumonia and perhaps find that wily ole' Coue's. There were other hunters at the motel and the local restaurant and I found myself an odd celebrity. I'm sure they thought I was just some stupid dumb blonde. "yer gonna kill a deer in a rental car?? Sure you are!".

Well, I drove up every day in my beautiful car and my matching camo outfit. Now my nails and hair even looked nice after a week of not showering! I got all kinds of wierd looks, stares and outright laughing. Made me want to get out and get jiggy on some of those punk-asses...LOL. Friday evening I went back to the canyon, only this time something was very very wrong. It was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. No birds, no javelina, no ravens, coyotes, I mean NOTHING. As the sun set, I got kinda spooked. It was a rocky place, perfect for lion. I knew that two other guides in 22 had found lions during their client's hunts, and it wouldn't have suprised me if one was here. So I headed out a bit early.

I stepped around the point I had been glassing from and bam! Three white flags go up and take off. Two directely away. Imagine my surprise to see they were does. The other one was rocketing across the slope directly below me at about 70 yards. My heart started hammering HARD when I saw that it was buck. He headed downhill and I then saw his antlers were about as wide as his ears. He put his flag down and paused.......and the .280 did the job I asked it. I started shaking as I heaved myself down the ledges to him. I really had some buck fever, let me tell ya. When I got to him, I realized he wasn't the same buck, but was a fine Coue's nonetheless. His neck was massive, and his antlers told the tale of some mighty battles. Several tines were busted off, and he had gouges in his forehead. Dark faced with brown highlights, and a big body, he was the poster child for a Coue's. I thanked him and thanked God, then laughed hysterically at the prospect of driving to town with a buck in the trunk of a Taurus.

Well, I decided to gut him and wait until morning, as the ledges were treacherous. I got back to the motel late, but bloody and happy and you should have seen the moon eyes I got from my dormies. However, as they and I laughed our asses off and this turn of events, a couple offered to take me up in a truck to cut some distance off the pack out. I took 'em up on that, though I insisted on driving the car to the drop-off point. I then boned up my buck, packed him out and threw him the trunk of my car.

Laughed hysterically between coughing uncontrollably all the way to Sky Harbor. Glared at the Delta clerk when she told me my 65 pounds of meat was overweight and it would cost me 150 bucks. Suffered miserably on the plane when my ears wouldn't adjust. Glared at the Delta clerk in Salt Lake when my gun didn't arrive with my plane. Coughed intermidst the giggling while I waited three hours for my guns to show up, then soaked it in all the way home.

And you know what? I ate tenderloin for Christmas breakfast. I think it's the best I've ever had.

I truly wish I had pics to share because you really can't enjoy the view of a buck in the trunk of a car without them. But Delta's baggage handlers managed to kill my favorite SLR and I forgot the digital. So my description will have to do, and I hope it makes you laugh as much as it does me.

Peace ya'll,
Pred

I spent 7 summers in Alaska. The last 5 commercially fishing. I have thought about writng a book someday about my experiences. I have penned a few rough draft of some stories. This is one what do you think?

We were as happy as two clams at high tide. We had been trolling for King salmon for a week off Noyes Island; the fishing had been good, the weather tolerable, and the company great. Trollers are basically a happy lot, because they have chosen a fairly low-key fishery with the sport of hook-and-line catching, as opposed to catching fish in a net. A friend of mine, tongue in cheek, called it ?the gentleman?s fishery?. You don't get rich, but you have a lot of fun!
I was deckhanding for my friend Wayne, as I had been doing for several years in the Summer. It was a good Summer job, but sometimes a mixed blessing; Wayne, like a lot of skippers, was not the easiest guy to work for; and, to use his own words, it was a ?crude way to serve the Lord?. But we loved the business and the beautiful Southeast Alaska setting.
We were, more specifically, working the ?Shaft Rock drag? along the rugged shores of Cape Addington , on the southwest corner of Noyes Island. The closest city is Ketchikan, about 130 miles; we were from Wrangell, which is about 100 miles in another direction. The closest town to us, where we delivered our fish, is Craig, which is about 25 miles?Wayne had gotten ?hooked? on this drag because when he first started trolling he had, at sunset, in beautiful weather, and all alone, caught three slug Kings totalling about 150 pounds. It isn't just the fish that get hooked. So we made trip after trip to this same place, accepting the agonies and ecstasies; occasionally, if it was REALLY dead, we would try another drag, but this was ?our? place. There were about five other trollers who felt the same way.
This trip was about over! We had sized up the situation last night at anchor, and were getting low on ice, bait, and groceries?and patience. It was time for a ?turnaround?. You run to town, sell your fish, and have enough money for the necessities of fishing. We even rewarded ourselves with a dinner at Ruth Ann?s Restaurant after we cleaned up.
So, we would catch the morning bite and take off on the three hour run to Craig. Yeah! I always enjoyed our short trips to town because we always seemed to have some unexpected excitement.
Craig is one of those typical fishing villages in Southeast Alaska. The population tripled in the Summer due to the salmon run and the need for prompt processing of the fish. There had been a cannery, but now most of the fish were frozen prior to shipping. We had gutted them and packed them in ice for the duration of our trip. The town had gravel streets and the bare necessities to support the fishing fleet. A lot of boats came here from other towns during the run, but there were also the ?home guards? who lived here year ?round. Summer is the busy, happy time of the year, with people everywhere. The stores were overcrowded and the streets busy, giving the impression of a fast-growing city with the need for good city planners. In reality it was not growing at all. The contrast between Summer and the rest of the year is striking. In the off-season you could wonder why the town existed. Short days, long nights, gloom, rain, snow, gloom. Then the only ?downtown? activity seemed to be in the bars, where the fish stories blossom??
We didn't really know much about Craig. Our turnarounds only involved the businesses within walking distance of the docks. We didn't know if they had a police station, jail, firehouse, or city hall---although we were destined to find out about them.
We dealt with the fish company, gear store, grocery store, fuel dock, and, hopefully, Ruth Ann?s. The Skipper didn't even go into the bars, as he was wont to do in our home port of Wrangell.
So this day we were heading for the big city, and as we hauled the anchor that morning I felt some excitement. Fishing is great, but after seven 16-hour days and no shower??
There was always some amusement in Craig: running into old troller friends, watching our dog, Rhino, get into trouble with the local dogs, and the dinner at Ruth Ann?s ! And I might get to sleep in past 4 A.M.!
As we headed for the ol? Haystack to drop our gear, I could see the thick foam along the rocks. The swell was long and lazy and there was not the slightest breeze, The morning haze actually seemed to accentuate the whiteness of the foam. A beautiful Southeast morning ---and a great time to take a break!
Well, it didn't turn out that great as far as the fishing went. In our first few passes we didn't catch a single King. However, Wayne, as usual, wasn?t ready to give up yet. It often seemed to me that he looked at our lack of success as a personal challenge from the sea. Mother Ocean was testing us, to see if we had the persistence to wrest the fish from her depths even when she was uncooperative. He used to recite something about ?Nothing can take the place of persistence?? some old rhyme , I guess. We couldn't quit when we weren't catching fish because if we did, we had given up---and we didn't give up on anything!! Ironically, when the fish were biting, we wouldn't think of giving up! So we often bashed our heads into rock walls---literally. I, on the other hand, felt secure in knowing that some days were just not good fishing days; what mattered was that you kept the gear wet as much as possible. If you were persistent ?and consistent?in fishing hard, you would catch more than the average fisherman. Like today: even though we were ready to head for town, I wasn?t surprised when we continued to make pass after pass at the Shaft Rock ?cookie jar?.
By early afternoon we only had one mediocre King. We were more than ready to get that far away look in our eyes. Wayne came out on deck and said that he had been talking on the radio to our old friend Ron Rau, and that he was heading this way to run in with us. When he shows up we will pull the gear. Yeah!!
Ron is from Michigan, and is a real character. He moved to Wrangell a few years back, and combined a writing career with commercial fishing. He has a small troller, the ?Bluegill?, 29 feet long, as compared to our 40-foot ?Seven Bros.? He writes mostly for Gray?s Sporting Journal, but occasionally he gets a story into Sports Illustrated. Ron has a great, but sometimes abrasive, sense of humor. He makes ends meet with his combination of professions; he writes interesting and humorous stuff, and his fishing is equally successful. We seldom fish near Ron, due to the differences in boat size. He usually fishes the Inside Passage, while we most often work ?outside?. Also, he is a ?hand troller?, reeling up his lines by muscle power, while we are a ?power troller?, which means we use hydraulic power to reel in the lines. Consequently, we are able to handle more gear, and do it faster. It usually pays off, but the hand crankers can do better than us sometimes. I wasn?t sure why he was in the area this time, but it would be good to run with him.
We ended up with only two kings for the day, so we were very happy to see Ron and have an excuse to quit. The run to Craig takes about three hours, and it is a beautiful route winding through the passes between islands. The day was fine, and the water like glass. Wayne chatted with Ron on the CB while I iced our great catch and tidied up.
When we got close to Craig harbor, the dog Rhino became more and more excited with the scent and sounds of civilization. His routine is to sniff, and whine, and run around the deck; most of the time, however, he stayed at his whale-and-porpoise- watching post at the very bow of the boat. Rhino is such a character, and had provided much entertainment barking at fish when we land them, as well as the distinctive behavior regarding the cetaceans. He actually seems to sense them, or perhaps hear them.
At least his high-pitched whine sounds like some of the recordings I've heard?..but I may be guilty of anthropomorphizing.
As we approached the fish dock, we saw that they were very busy unloading boats; so we figured we had time to fuel up prior to delivering. But, wouldn't you know, there were boats at the fuel dock too---so we tied up temporarily to the transient float nearby. Ron pulled up and laid the Bluegill across our stern; he made it look like he was being sociable, but what he was really doing was blocking us in so he could get the first open spot.
We B.S.ed (a thing all fishermen are experts at) for about a half hour before we saw a seiner pull away from the fuel dock. Wayne and Ron both ran for their respective pilot-houses. Ron was actually in the best position, but Wayne wasn?t going to let Ron get there first if he could help it. He put the Seven Bros. in reverse and ?T-boned? the Bluegill across our stern , locking it there. A clever move, but one that brought out a lot of cussing in our direction from the skipper of the Bluegill!!! We pushed him out into the harbor until we could pull ahead at full tilt to get to the spot. Ron tried to race ahead, but only got alongside as we approached the dock; we had the inside track,and nudged him away as we pulled in. He actually made our landing easier because he pushed us into the dock! The more he yelled, the more we laughed---we had aced him out, and we happily tied up and began fueling.
Caught up in the busy routine of refueling, we forgot about our competitor until BANG! --- a loud, sharp report that could only be a gunshot! BANG! again, behind us! We turned to see the Bluegill just off our stern with Ron standing on deck with a smoking pistol aimed up at our trolling poles!! BANG! He yelled he was going to shoot off the tips of our poles, but so far they didn't appear damaged. Wayne ducked into our cabin and emerged with an old 30-30 Winchester. BOOM! He shouted that if anyone was going to shoot off pole tips it would be us! Luckily, nobody was that good of a marksman, and everything remained intact even though Ron emptied his gun. After the episode was over, Ron pulled up and tied alongside. We had a good laugh and resumed our refueling.
We then heard a commotion on the dock ramp, and looked up to see two police officers heading our way??.Wayne and Ron again disappeared into their cabins, Wayne to blow through the gun barrel of the Winchester, while Ron tried to mask the smell of powder in his pistol with WD-40. The cop was not fooled and put Ron under arrest, complete with handcuffs! The other cop said he heard we had fired a shotgun back; Wayne told him he didn't own one, and said he could search the boat. He did, and came up with the 30-30, which he sniffed and decided it had not been fired. He really wanted to find a shotgun, and when he didn't he was satisfied that we hadn't fired back. They took Ron away, and we yelled at him that we would come and bail him out.
We had work to do first: we had to get the Bluegill tied up and get to the fish dock to deliver, clean up the fish hold and get more ice and bait. We did so, and returned to tie up next to the Bluegill and go find Ron. We eventually found the jail, and there we were told that the magistrate would not decide about bail for Ron for an hour or so. We did get to speak to him briefly; he was loudly complaining that he had not been allowed his one phone call. I thought he was maybe wanting to contact a lawyer, but when I asked him he said that he wanted to order a pizza to be delivered!! He knew his rights, he said. I don't believe that such services were even available in Craig, Alaska! We told him we would be back later to bail him out.
We realized then that the Craig officials were taking this incident seriously; but I also knew that the day would come when it would be a great story in this little town, as it was soon to become in the fishing fleet.
Wayne and I then went to get much-needed showers and groceries for the next trip. Wayne even treated himself to a six-pack of beer to celebrate Ron?s forthcoming exoneration. When we returned to the jail we were told that the bail was $1500, which Wayne paid. No ?O.R.? for this hardened criminal! He was to return for court in the morning. As we paid the bail I was certain I saw a glint of humor in the bailiff?s eye.
We finally made it to Ruth Ann?s ! We had a great dinner, and a pleasant evening. Of course, Ron took every chance to inform all who would listen of the over-zealousness of the Craig police. I was starting my second year of Law School that Fall, and during dinner Ron pumped me for information regarding how he should approach the Magistrate in the morning. One year of law school doesn't make you an attorney, or teach you how to deal with this type of situation. However I did offer what I thought was some common sense advice. I told Ron that the Law seemed to be taking this quite seriously, as evidence by the bail amount as well as making him wait several hours to determine whether to give him bail at all. I said that he should NOT treat this as a joke, and if I were him I would be very serious and apologetic before the judge.
When we went over to the Bluegill the next morning, it was obvious that Ron had decided on his own course of action. He emerged from the cabin wearing a black-and white striped shirt, like the prisoners in the old movies! It was his old referee shirt he had from his days as a city league basketball referee. No boring apologetic court session for him!! Wayne and I couldn't believe it! We knew this was going to be interesting?.
Well, it was. The magistrate turned out to be a large, tough looking woman in her 50s. I knew Ron was in for trouble. She called for the case of ?The People Against Ron Rau? just like it was one of many she had to deal with that day; while we knew full well that this was about the biggest excitement the Court had had for a long time. She did not react overtly to Ron?s garb (which I think disappointed him) but asked if he denied shooting a gun in the city limits. He promptly admitted that he had done so. She then asked if he had anything to say in his own behalf. Of course Ron did: he eloquently presented his defense, based on the premise that Alaska is the last true frontier, how it is not like the ?Lower 48? with their strict laws and regulations, and how it is good that there is still a place for people with a desire for adventure. He stated that these remaining Pioneers should not be restricted with burdensome laws, and that shooting a gun in the air was nothing to get excited about. Ron assured the judge that he knew guns and safety, and that he had been careful; he knew his shooting did not endanger anyone. He ended his defense with a plea to the judge to let the incident pass without penalty because it was a silly but harmless event of a fisherman happy to come in from a long trip. Just ?having some fun, your Honor?.
Well. The judge betrayed no emotion during his speech, but showed a faint smile as she began to speak. She stated that the city of Craig, however small and isolated, is NOT the Wild West, and citizens deserved to be free from the fear caused by such an incident Gunshots within the city limits are forbidden not only for the possible damage they can cause, but for the fact that they ?scare women and children? as well. Ron was disturbing the peace. The Laws of the State of Alaska were enacted for a valid reason, and not to be disregarded just because some fisherman wants to ?have some fun?. Later Ron related to us that ?the longer she went on, the more hundred-dollar bills with wings I saw fly away, just like in the comic strips.?
And fly they did. 15 of them; and besides the fine, he had to spend three days in jail. The only good news was that he was allowed to serve the time in jail after the fishing season. That gave Wayne a better chance of being repaid soon, although I don't think he was worried about it: it was just the price of entert

Here is mine, I also posted this just a couple weeks back:

My morning hunt started like many others as I snuck my way down through a stand of aspens with the hope of connecting on a trophy. The canyon I hunted that morning was full of activity; every few steps resulted in another bounding deer. I couldn't help but think that I may be passing some decent bucks as I crept along in the dark.

I arrived at my glassing spot just as it was getting light enough to make out images on the opposite hill side. I quickly got setup and started my normal glassing routine; looking in all the obvious spots checking the edges of cover and finally breaking the hill apart section by section. A little frustration set in, as all that effort resulted in a small four by four and a coyote. My expectations were clearly higher as I had spotted a really nice buck the night before in the same area. I had just about talked myself into moving down the hill another 200 yards, but forced myself to make one final pass with my binos. Sometimes it seems like deer just pop out of nowhere.

I had to force myself to systematically glass the hill one last time. I carefully scanned back and forth overlapping with each pass to ensure that I didn't miss an inch. Then about half way down the hill, there stood an amazing buck. I immediately questioned how I could have missed it previously. I could easily see he was a straight 4x4 and estimated him to be about 27" wide, he had great mass and deep forks, and he was a shooter for sure. I quickly ranged the buck at 295 yards and decided to get closer as he was too far for a shot with my muzzleloader. I moved down the canyon quickly and quietly constantly checking the deer to ensure he had not spotted me or moved. I moved down the hill as far as I could without losing sight of the deer or increasing the distance, but he was still 200 yards out. Time for some decisions!

The buck was on a side hill opposite of me with cliffs above him, cliffs below him and scrub oak in back and in front. His position on the hill made it extremely difficult to get in range for a shot on the same hillside. On the other hand a 200-yard across canyon shot was not exactly what I was looking for either. It was a tough decision but given the hunting pressure and his location I decided to take a shot from the hillside I was on. I ended up moving down the hill another 20 yards or so closing the gap to just under 200. I quickly set up for shot using my monopod to steady the gun. I knew the distance and how much my gun drops from 100 to 200 yards, so I put my red dot above his back and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened; he didn't even take a step. I quickly reloaded and got situated again and cracked off my second shot, the buck looked around a bit more (still not alarmed) and moved about 10 yards then quickly settled down. I was starting to get a little frustrated as I had clearly missed twice and heavily debated whether or not to attempt another shot, but given the situation I felt like I had to try again. I quickly set up aiming much higher than on the previous two shots and pulled the trigger, I heard a distinct thwack! The buck took a few more steps and then bedded down (he was hit). After a few more minutes he got up, walked behind some scrub oak and bedded down again making it impossible for another shot.

More decisions! I came up with just a couple of options: Number 1: Wait for him to get back up (still facing a 200 yard shot) or Number 2: Stalk in on him. Given the hunting pressure, the wind & terrain I decided that a stalk was the best option. I absolutely could not imagine walking away now! The morning had started to fade and the wind was blowing straight up hill, which would hopefully take it out of play for my stalk. I made my way across the canyon to the same side hill where I had last seen the buck bedded, took of my pack, grabbed my wind checker, black powder supplies and started my stalk.

The terrain was surprisingly quieter than I had anticipated; there were several established game trails that made the stalk pretty easy. I quickly closed to within 100 yards. I slowed my pace and made sure that all my steps were carefully executed. As the time passed and I got closer the anticipation started to build. I was extremely excited and at the same time nervous the deer would bust me. Now within 15-yards, I have my gun shouldered and I am peeking around every rock and bush carefully. I move within 10 yards and am one step away from getting a clear shot at the buck in his bed, when he busts out of his bed. I quickly get him in my scope and fire a round at about 15 yards; he stops, turns and looks at me (miss). After about 10-15 seconds he bolts and runs straight downhill.
I took off after the buck thinking I could possibly get a follow up shot. I ran down the trail and after about 40-yards I was stopped as the deer was piled up in the middle of the trail. Not sure what had just happened, I stood over him in amazement and started the celebration in my head. As quickly as the celebration started it also ended as I noticed his chest still moving. The buck was still alive and I was standing over him with an un-loaded muzzleloader! Dang, in a tight spot! I quickly started re-loading, as I proceeded he opened his eyes and jumped to his feet, I stood there helplessly while he bounded off down the hill again. I quickly finished loading my gun and ran to the opening where I had last seen the deer. As I scanned the hillside below, I noticed the buck moving through some oak brush below me, he stopped in a small opening and I quickly fired off the lethal shot through both lungs, he immediately dropped.

This is the best buck that I have harvested to date and I am extremely happy how the hunt ended. My buck is a typical 4X4 with good mass, good tines and a 26" spread, he has an unofficial gross score of 177.

4679f4c12a8571b0.jpg

Here's the story that I submitted last Oct of my 2006 Wasatch elk hunt. It was great to re-read the story today it's been a few months since I last read it. The excitement of that great hunt will burn forever in my soul and it will be something that I will never forget.

My Wasatch Stinky Bull Story"

My hunting story begins just like everyone else that puts in for any of the Limited Entry hunts. I waited until the last few days of the application period to get my application filled out and sent in. During the process of filling out my application, I didn't realize that there were two types of LE tags you could put in for here in Utah. The All Season Premium Limited Entry Bull Elk Tag priced at $508 smackers, and the you pick your season you want to hunt, Limited Entry Bull Elk Tag priced at $280 smackers.

Well, needless to say, I thought I was putting in for the $280 LE rifle tag, not the $508 tag. After telling my wife what I had done, I told her not to worry too much about me drawing the tag, because I only had nine bonus points and there was no way in this world that I would be lucky enough to draw the tag. What my wife said next was kind of funny; she goes on to say, I bet you draw that tag just because it costs an extra $228 dollars.

Well she was right, I about fell off my chair at work, after checking my bank account and realizing that I had been lucky enough to draw this great tag. My wife wasn?t very happy that she was right this time around. It took her a few weeks to get over it? My wife has actually been very understanding and has been picking up my slack around the house, with the kids and everything else under the sun. My wife is seven months pregnant and has been a trooper. I want to thank her for all her support.

Okay now on to the hunting?

After many days of hunting and miles on the boots I didn't fill my tag during the early rifle season. So with the muzzle loader season upon me I needed a muzzle loader because I didn't own one. My friend Steve came to my rescue and was nice enough to loan me his. We hunted the Red Creek area one evening and found a good shooter bull, but we could never get close enough to him. That night coming home we hit and killed a four point buck with Steve?s truck. Not a good night.

I took a few days off and went back to the Little CO-OP area for an evening hunt with my bro-in-law Ken, we found the bulls and they were just going crazy. I passed on a small satellite bull at 80 yards that night. It got dark on us and so we put the rest of the bulls to bed and I headed back up there the next morning with two great friends Brook Blackhurst and Jeremy Hunter.

You see, I had already made plans with Brook and Jeremy to take a ride on the horses up AF Canyon Wednesday morning, but after I told Brook about the good bulls I had put to bed that night, he helped me change my mind about the AF canyon horse ride. We left the horses home that morning and let them sleep in a little longer. The plan was if we needed the horses we would call Brooks dad and he would head up with the horses.

We were up early the next morning and on the mountain as the sun was coming up. We started walking in the direction that I had last seen the elk the night before. The elk had moved a little during the night, down off the top of the ridge to the lower valley below. They were just getting done with their breakfast and they were just starting too test out their bugling voices for the day. They weren't very hard to find or keep track of due to all the noise the bulls were making. Once we spotted the first group, they were just heading over the top of the small hill and down the other side to the valley below. So with the wind in our faces and all the elk out of sight, this is where the mountain marathon begins.

We raced through the rest of the sage brush flat and up the hill side, slowing down as we crested the top of the hill, just as the sun was starting to brighten up the morning. By this time the elk were really bugling their guts out, we could see four 6x6 bulls in the bottom of the valley one of witch was a shooter bull. Every bull we could see in this valley was holding nothing back and just screaming at each other. Out in front of us, about 200 yards, we had what we thought was one smaller 5x5 bull by himself testing out is voice every now and again. We paid little attention to him as we set up the spotting scope. We took a look at each bull sizing them up and putting a plan together to get into position to get a shot at the shooter 6x6 bull.

Just as we started moving up the ridge a little to start our stock, we were stopped dead in our tracks by the largest, nastiest bugle we had heard all morning and he was close. We still had the wind in our favor, so we sat tight while we changed our plans a little. We couldn't see this bull because of all the trees between us and him, so we decided to try and get on top of him. We headed back down and around him a little and ran smack dab into all his cows and one stupid spike that busted us and ran right down through the rest of the elk pushing them all down into the bottom of the valley. We did get to see the bull, with the big nasty bugle, as he run pasted us at 200 yards like there was a grizzly bear chasing him. He joined the rest of the confused elk in the bottom. After seeing this bull I new he was the one I wanted. He made the other bulls around him look small except for one.

The bull we had started our stock on ten minutes earlier was a shooter bull too. He didn't have the daggers the other bull had, but he was still a good 6x6 bull. After a few minutes all the herd bulls gathered up their cows and went up into trees out of site, but not out of ear shot. They were still all bugling and carrying on. Because, I didn't think we could catch up to Mr. Daggers, we headed after the other 6x6 shooter bull, he was close and the wind stayed good for us. But I must say, at this point I was so pissed off that we got busted, I was having a hard time believing that we would ever catch up with any of them, let alone Mr. Daggers.

So with the wind in our favor we headed after the 6x6 bull he was pushing his cows toward a small patch of pines. We ran up the mountain and cut them off just to be busted again this time by a small rag 5x5. They busted down through the trees, and so we stayed on top of them in chase listening for bugles and trying to stay as close to them as possible. We were able to cut the group off again, they stayed below us and we cut them off in a small ridge line. The 6x6 was absolutely going nuts, he knew something was wrong, but he did know what. We sat down and got ready for the shot, he was working his way right too us, screaming all the way. He came out into a small clearing below us in range at 137 yards, and I was just about ready to squeeze the trigger and the wind changed. You guessed it! They busted us once again. He spun and took his cows and headed North West. We did our best to keep the wind in our faces and to stay on top of the heard. Keep in mind we are running our butts off, mostly strait up. We stayed on them pretty good, but I couldn't get another shot. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever get my chance again. Brook keep pushing us forward staying even with the group. We were running side-by-side with the elk about 50 yards apart. We had the wind and were on top of them.

Luck was on our side that morning and we pushed that group of elk right into Mr. Dagger?s group. With the two groups together now we pushed them into a small sage brush clearing. We were still about 300 yards away from the opening of the clearing, all we could see were elk running into the clearing like mad. I ran up looking for a good place to setup. As I got closer there was another spike standing between me and the front of the clearing. At this point, I haven't seen Mr. Daggers yet. The spike turns tail and runs again right smack dab into the middle of the heard again. As he does this, I see Mr. Daggers with the group and he's chasing cows. He just so happens to be chasing a cow right at us, he has no idea we are standing there. The 6x6 knows we're there and doesn't have a clue what to do next. Brook let's out a bugle and guess what Mr. Daggers does, stops dead in his tracks broadside standing right next to the other 6x6 bull at 125 yards. If elk could speak English, he would have said, holy crap I m dead meat!

I had about five seconds to aim and pull the trigger. Off hand, I pulled down my 50 caliber knight ML put it right on his front shoulder and pulled the trigger?The very next thing you hear is the thud of the slug punching through is front shoulder. He was hit hard but didn't act like it until he got about 50 yards away. He started to stumble and stager a little. Mr. Daggers went down and was dead as we walked up to him. What a hunt, I was so exhausted, I was glad it was over. I did enjoy every minute, even the night I almost didn't make it out of First Water up Sheep Creek with my brother and Shawn. The rest of the story goes; we called Brook?s dad and brother to bring up the horses. We packed him up and got out off the mountain just as it started too rained like hell on us.

My bull scored 342 and I couldn't be happier with him. Let me tell you all something, it's about the hunt. It's about spending time with your best friends and family, and just being out there in the mountains enjoying what God gave us. People get way too caught up in the numbers game. I would like to thank by name all those people that put their life?s on hold for me and took the time away from their family?s and work to help me find my Wasatch stinky bull. Let me tell you he was one stinky bugger!!! He was definitely rutting hard.

Family:
Ken, Gary, Troy, John and Clint

Friends:
Jeremy thanks for the wheeler, and for being my pack mule.
Lee, thanks for the inside information and the extra gun.
Shawn thanks for getting me off the mountain that cold night.
Steve thanks for the Muzzle Loader it worked out great.
Tim thanks for just being there and for your support.
Brook and family, thanks for teaching me how to hunt elk in the rut, and for the horses and for helping me lose ten pounds.
Well that's it; if I have missed anyone please forgive me.

Sorry the story was so long. If anyone needs help next year with there Wasatch tag please let me know, I will be more than happy to help anyone out.

Thanks
Flyfish

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/467c44c97f5911fd

Hey Guys,

I was flattered to see a request for the "Jack the Barber story". A few years after this event, I still get lost in this memory.

Enjoy.......

It was opening day, 2003, in Colorado, we were hunting up a canyon in the truck, eyes peeled, trudging along in the fresh fallen snow, trying to make our way to the tops to hunt out the ridges. As we made it around a bend I saw a figure dressed in orange from head to toe. He was obviously working diligently on a buck in the chest high sage.

My brother Jason, buddy, Rich, and I came to a stop and whistled at an older man taking a knee over his buck 50 yards off the road. Always enjoying seeing a harvested buck, we piled out and off we went to lend a hand. As we approached this man, I could see his hands shaking as he folded his buck knife, he wore a grin from ear to ear and could hardly put together a sentence as his deep searching breaths interrupted his excited thoughts. Hidden behind his thick glasses was a twinkle in his eye. His cheeks were glowing red. He pointed to a distant draw and told us about the group of bucks he jumped. I tried to steal a quick glance of the downed buck out of the corner of my eye. Based on Jack's enthusiasm, I was fully prepared to see lots of bone stacked on this bucks head, instead I found almost 7 inches barely forked. I offered my congratulations and offered a hand getting the buck down to the road.

Jack, as we learned was on a hunt all the way from Michigan. A career Barber (45 years) had just realized his dream; he killed a muley on opening day. He didn't care about the rack, all that mattered was that he succeeded and accomplished something he set out to do. He said he had waited his whole life for this. As the three off us easily dragged the yearling back to the road with Jack following behind, I had a great feeling of camaraderie and warmth.

We took some photos for Jack as he had forgotten his camera. As he smiled from ear to ear, oozing excitement and satisfaction, I couldn't help but think of what hunting is really about. I offered Jack a soda and some goldfish crackers as he jotted his address so we could send him his pictures. I looked at my brother, a second year hunter himself, and saw in his eyes the same feelings I was having. I could've gone home that day, after meeting "Jack the Barber". Heck, my trip was complete.

We loaded up and left Jack, continuing to our own dreams and adventures. Then my brother broke the mesmerizing silence. "Not to sound corny, but that made me feel all warm and fuzzy, helping him out". I shot back quick, hoping not to let my own feeling get away, "That's what it's all about". At that moment I felt proud, I knew the three of us understood the magnitude of the moment. We were more than just three jerks from California on an out of state hunt. We're men, sportsmen; we're muley hunters. We all said some nice stuff about meeting Jack, and once again it fell silent as we bumped down the road and returned to our thoughts. There was an air of content, calmness, and satisfaction. Success.

Often, folks apologize when they show a picture of a "Forky" or a small 3x3. Why? Maybe it takes meeting a "Jack the Barber", to realize how lucky we are to share the dream and chase monster muleys. Success can't and shouldn't be measured by the headgear. The journey and obstacles we overcome offer the challenge and create the prize we all grind for. Jack had waited 30 years for that moment, and he looked all of 7 years old, wearing that proud smile, almost tears in his eyes. I hope someday all of us have that moment. That magical instant when you're living in a moment you would die for, when you know, this is as good as it gets.
Soak it up; it's the good stuff

five_point_buck
C.B.C.S.

Nice to still see you around fpb....enjoy the reading folks, bow season is right around the corner.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Sorry, I've been out of town alot, so just catching back up on things. Yes... we will donate a Camo HO Hat.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

Here is my story that I posted In the Elk Forum and the NM forum for my Elk I got this year during archery hunt in NM.

The story and pics are under 2007 NM Archery Bull DIY Public land

This hunt started 2 years ago when my family and I moved to New Mexico (NM). Not having drawn for bull elk in the unit that we lived in, I was determined to find a way to hunt the unit. Therefore, I bought a land owner tag that year to hunt archery bull elk.

This unit has a 22 day season and luckily, I work out of my home and travel out of state every other week for work. With this schedule I was able to hunt early morning and evenings 19 days of that season 2 years ago. During this season, I came so close to success many times but could never close the deal. I had held my standards to large bulls only and passed on several small ones. At the end of the season I had some wonderful experiences behind me, but, was also extremely frustrated. I told my wife that I was only going to hunt muzzle loader or rifle and put archery down as 3rd choice going forward.

Here I am 2 years later and the property we own qualified for an either sex unit wide elk archery tag. I could sell it for really good money or I could hunt it myself. I waited for draw results to come in and again nobody in the family drew a bull tag. Decision time. All year round, I am hiking and scouting and seeing these magnificent bulls and I am not able to hunt them, though our friends have drawn bull and cow tags that I have enjoyed participating in their hunts.

I made the choice to forgo the money and hunt the tag. The 2007 Archery season started just like the 2005 season. In 2005 there were 3 different 350+ bulls that I hunted and never got a shot at. In 2007 I found 2 bulls of the same class. The main one I wanted was a 3x7 that a friend had missed during rifle season 2 years ago and was now older and actually shorter but very heavy and very unique. He is also the largest bodied elk I have ever seen. The other was a typical 7x7 long and heavy up to his top points.
Opening morning after a cautious stalk, I am within 30 yards of the 3x7 but, I am unable to take a shot through the oaks. Over the course of the next 8 days I religiously got up at 4-5am and got to where I wanted to be before daylight. In the evenings I would wrap up business and then get out in the field the last couple of hours of daylight.

During this time I had 3 very close brushes with the 3x7 including one evening with my 9 year old son by my side we intercepted him and his cows as he was moving up into a feeding area before end of shooting light. We worked our way in on him and his cows until we were 40 yards away when this young calf moved right in front of the juniper we were behind and started staring right through us. The bull was there but had brush in front of his vitals. We froze as the little calf chirped away knowing that something was wrong and we did not belong there.

The bull wandered away and eventually the calf did as well leaving us close but with no prize. I also came very close to getting within bow range of the 7x7 but each time a cow either smelled me or they wandered out of my range on their own leaving me with no good way to stalk them. There is a very good acorn crop this year and once I sat in the middle of a herd in a grove of oaks and could hear those crunching acorns they were so close, of course eventually the jig was up when a cow caught a whiff of my sweaty body.

Calling was not working this early in the season for herd bulls either, and my experience was that even later, it was hard to pull the big brutes from their herd of 10-15 cows on the off chance of getting a new cow or fighting a bull and even if they were of a mind to, curious cows also would do their best to keep it from happening.

This was how the first 8 days of the season went. On the evening of the 8th day (a Saturday) with my businesses closed I had a full afternoon to get after them. That evening I heard a total of 2 half hearted bugles in the distance and was at the low point of the season.

That evening I went to bed not knowing if I should hunt the same area I had seen the big bulls or go to plan B, C or D. Literally, I keep a ?hunting notes? list or Journal that lists my prioritized plan of attack. I had deviated from plan A only once the entire season but had kept going back to plan A because that area had it all in regards to feed, remote shelter, water and few hunters. The only deviation was that I was coming into that country from different directions. None of them were particularly good as all required a 1-2 mile hike to get into the country I wanted to hunt.

Zach (my 9 year old) and I had gotten permission from my wife for him to skip church the next morning and go with me (I was praying pretty heavily at this point so he was being exposed to a certain amount of religion). Even with the prior evening being such a disappointment I decided to go into the same general area, however, approaching it from the North where more of the thicker forest was hoping that the big bulls had moved into heavy cover and considering, the previous night I had seen an unescorted herd of cows feeding in the acorns. It was still early in the season and maybe the bulls pulled off to themselves. I was desperate and decided to throw away conventional wisdom.

We pulled in to our parking spot a half hour before daylight and started south through the Juniper and pinion forest. Zach is not just baggage on an elk hunt. His young ears can hear bugles that mine cannot and can judge the direction better than mine. Often on the faintest bugles I look to him for his 9 year old expertise and he points to where the bugle came from. I know from experience to trust his ears over mine.

Within less than a quarter of a mile Zach stops me and indicates a faint bugle off to the East. Not the way we intended, but a hot lead was encouraging after the previous evening. We took off down the ridge that we were on and soon found ourselves in a dark forest of over grown Pinion, Juniper and Ponderosas. There were only a couple of bugles and eventually there was none. Back to the initial plan of attack. We started side hilling north and half way up to the ridge we came across a dead bull with an arrow sticking out of the back part of his haunch. He had been dead about a week and the aluminum arrow protruded out of his bird defiled body. Zach went over and gave it a tug, but, the corpse was not ready to give it up. I marked the spot on my GPS with the intention of notifying the warden and got back to the business at hand.

Leaving that spot, the bulls demise weighed heavily on our minds. The way he was hit it was likely he covered miles till he dropped. Somewhere there was maybe a disappointed hunter, but, worse than that hundreds of pounds of good eating had gone to waste. This is a hunter?s solemn fear that their shot does not make a clean kill. As we walked, I resolved to myself that I would make a good shot. In the 28 previous days of archery elk hunting I had yet to release an arrow and I did not want my first to result in a scene similar to what I had just left.

We had burned 45 minutes of hunting daylight, but, it was overcast and we had a wind from the East to North East that is unusual for our area. As we approached the mountains, again Zach stopped me telling me that there was a bugle off in the distance ahead. We were still heading due south and the unusual wind troubled me as I repeatedly checked it with the bottle of white powder. The bugles lead us to a trail that skirted the peak of the pine studded mountain and with the previous evenings rain I saw the fresh tracks of a bull, most likely the one that was occasionally bugling.

The bugles were the random sort and it was apparent the bull was on the move and that indicated to me that it was a lone bull. While the bull did not sound big, he did not sound like a spike headed squeaker either. I resolved that if the opportunity arose to shoot this bull, I would take it though I did not believe him to be one of the older bulls I had been pursuing.

As we skirted this mountain on the dim game trail I would stop occasionally to pick up a fossil, or comment on a fresh rub, or scowl at Zach for making too much noise when he walked. Actually, this season he had gotten much better, being careful where he placed his feet and how he rolled his foot on the ground. Forty minutes had passed since we first heard the bugle we followed and a couple of times we heard others, but, this one was closer and we felt that we were gaining on him. In my mind, I imagined one of the young 5x6 bulls that I had seen staying a safe distance from the herd bulls. We were now rounding the back side of the mountain and were starting to head South East which made the steady wind more to my liking. While previously I worried over the Easterly wind, I was thankful that it was consistent and not swirling and sporadic as it commonly is around these peaks and canyons.

As we rounded this mountain, it opened onto a saddle that was dotted with Oaks, Junipers and young Pinions and then started a new mountain. Now we slowed and off to the South we heard a deep Bugle and we were closing on the young bull in front of us. Through the openings in the trees I desperately glassed to see bits and pieces of the openings on the southerly mountains. I then saw a string of cows and a herd bull side hilling the mountain almost across from us filtering towards the saddle between the 2 mountains. I made a quick decision to get into a position in the bottom of the saddle to where I may intercept the herd. The wind was perfect and it was now drizzling heavily on us and I looked up the saddle to the canyon East of it and saw a heavy fog rolling in which also was unusual for this part of the year in SE NM.

This was the part of a hunter?s decision making that conflicts caution with aggressiveness. The cautious approach was to get back to the NW of the saddle and not collide with the cows that lead the bull off the mountain. The aggressive approach was to get behind a clump of Juniper in the middle of the saddle and throw caution to the wind. Myself (after some internal struggle) decided compromise was the easiest way out. Keep in mind, failure in the recent days and the season 2 years ago weighed heavily on my decision.

I chose a spot between the 2 areas and used my range finder quickly on several potential routes; the best was at 55 yards a young vigorous Juniper that I hoped would direct them down off the mountain. Down they came trickling into the saddle, the bull now bellowing every 20 seconds at the young bull that we had pursued most of the morning who had continued past the saddle and now was continuing a path around the mountain we had been on. This also caused me to believe that the old bull would drop to the West of the saddle away from the annoying younger bull and hopefully in front of the bushy Juniper I had ranged. I could feel and hear the blood pulsing through my eardrums. Down they came and the lead cow hesitated in front of my designated Juniper and then stepped to the right of it and leading the herd beyond my chosen spot for the kill. The mindless herd followed her taking the bull 10-15 yards beyond my bush and much further than my intended shot.

Decision time once again. They had not seen me. The bull was fully preoccupied with the other annoying young bull and they were half feeding into the canyon to the East and somewhat North around the mountain that we had been skirting. I looked at Zach and told him that I needed to hurry and I wanted him to stay put. He gave me a disappointed and worried look but nodded okay. I told him I would mark his spot on the GPS and not to move no matter what. Again he nodded.

I took off the most direct route to catch the herd and looked up 100 yards to a spike bull who had been trailing way behind the herd and we saw each other at the same time. Damn!!! He turned in his tracks and ran back the way he had come and so did I temporarily. I should have known better, often a small bull will follow quite some distance behind a herd and it was not the first time that I made that mistake.

He had been trailing far behind the others so I hoped that they had not seen his panicked exit. I took off at full speed. Now keep in mind full speed for me is not much. But, I could go quiet in the damp earth of the saddle and utilized all the cover available. I could now hear the older herd bull damaging a tree with his rack and expected at any moment to round a tree and find myself staring at a cow as it has happened to me several time in the past in similar situations. I was gaining ground and then it happened. I rounded a bush and stared squarely at 3 cows that were staring at me 50 to 60 yards off through the brush. This was it, they were turning and getting ready to take off. They had me made as a threat. Immediately aggressiveness took over, there was no argument for patience at this point because we had been here before and patience had been made a fool of.

I stepped out even more in the open and saw the bull looking sheepishly up from the sapling he was abusing and saw the realization come across his face. He was quartering away, and was getting ready to run away. No time for a range finder. 50 yard pin screamed in my head. I drew back, picked my spot and the 50 yard pin and released the arrow through the small lane of trees and bushes. The herd bolted. I normally try to watch my arrow, but, no matter how hard I questioned my memory I could not recall where my arrow went. I could now see the herd running through the trees and the big bull right in step.

Suddenly, I saw him deviate from the flow of the herd. He now turned to the right in a loop. Then he stumbled and he was down. I stared at the strings and metal in my hand wondering how the hell it had caused all this to happen. He was down and I could see he was dead. I had seen enough animals die to know when they were wounded, hurt or dead. Still I approached cautiously. He was dead, and my arrow lay bloody next to him. Somehow it had completely come out of him and now lay before him. How could that little arrow have brought down such a large strong animal in less than 30 seconds? Later, while quartering the bull I found the arrow had entered on the 2nd to last rib and had gone in at a 45 degree angle creating havoc in his chest cavity. After all of the effort and days spent hunting I wanted to yell and scream, but, I had a stronger urge. That was to play a joke on Zach who I had left about 400 yards back about 5 minutes ago.

I marked the bull in the trees with my GPS, though I knew it was unnecessary. I hurried back to Zach who had climbed a tree to try to see me coming. I have him my best dejected face and told him that I had spooked the herd but we needed to keep going. I lead him back along the same route I had followed and said nothing as we approached the dead bull. Upon seeing the dead bull, Zach shouted ?hey someone shot a bull? then he recognized my arrow that was exactly where it had fallen out of the bull.

Now the celebrating began. We yelled, screamed and jumped up and down. That is a moment I will never forget. We then caped, gutted and quartered the bull making sure we got all the meat and kept it clean. By then it was raining and it was a triumphant hike back to the truck with the rack on my back. We got my horses and packed him back to the house later that afternoon. Over the next few days those 10 minutes from when we stepped into that saddle to when I fooled Zach have looped through my mind hundreds of times. I cannot remember a more perfect hunt. I have not scored him yet, but, I will as many of my friends will be asking me what he scored. For me it matters just so I have an answer. The memories looking at him on the wall will be the real reward.

The Little 2X3

I was excited for the utah rifle hunt. My insides turned every time i thought about laying a big ol' buck down on opening morning. i was especially excited about this hunt because i had taken deer before but this would be the first time i would be successful and have my family there.

My family has hunted this ridge top and cayon for over 5 generations (we have 8mm video to prove it) and i wasn't about to let my forefathers down. i was hopeful.

opening morning came and went with little more than wind burn on my face, chapped lips and a sore rear-end from the constant bouncing in the back of that old ford pickup. uncle Bob always drives. for as long as i can remember he has always driven. i wish he would let someone else drive. ouch!

tongue frying oatmeal in a melted and stained camper cup and a quick jaunt to the outhouse, aka, a nearby sapling, and we were off again. with high hopes i felt lucky.

We parked and my father, my brother seth, uncle bob and his son robert all reluctantly filed out of our assigned seats in/on the pickup. Dad, seth and uncle bob started for the point that over looks these few canyons and it was mine and robert's responsiblity to push the bottom of the draws and canyons. after a brisk bone chilling walk we staggered to the base of the mountian where my dad and seth sat, well seth mostly just slept. i thought that we should meet up and have lunch but robert talked me into skirting the hill and press another four hundred yards out of my exhausted legs. i finally collapsed and decided that this was a spot, as good as any! robert pulled out his vintage binoculars and glassed through the fog strewn morning.

"there they are travis" he whispered.

"Any bucks?" i responded.

i took his next few mon=ments of silence as big fat no! slightly disapointed i held out some string of faith.

with cold locked lips robert proclaimed "there he is!"

i took aim and saw this was a nice solid bodied 2 point, and my 165 grain hand load had his name written all over it!

resting my 1917 eddystone across my cousin's knee, i took careful aim at the buck, only 300 yards away. squeezing off and breathing slow, the buck moved behind a pile of buck brush. i shuffled up the hill to gain a vantage point, then back down to find a location. just then i had the thought to walk toward the place where i had last seen him. i closed the 300 yard distance very quickly. i steppped into and out of a narrow vertical strip of pines, into the sun. BAM! i was spotted and pegged down by a doe not 40 yards away. she studied me and then fed, and repeated several times. i caught her giving attention down the ridge about 5 yards from her. i knew this must be where the buck was. i slowly raised my rifle and my intentions were made known to her as she picked up her other 8 does and took off down the bottom of the canyon. in all my years of hunting i would have said this hunt was blown and to turn around. NOT this time! i put my body in high speed and gave chase. i was only into my third or fourth stride when i noticed that one deer didn't retreat with the other deer. i flicked the saftey off with my stubby thumb, took aim and let the bullet fly.

18 yards later found me directly over the 2 point. in all my adrenelin i had shot the wrong buck. to some that might be a bad thing, to me i was so overjoyed knowing that my dad and borther would soon be there.

by any measure this was the most worhtwhile hunt.

46f312ff315ede8b.jpg

beat this

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom