Shot distance and #'s - FESS UP!

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
Lots of people here are talking about the ethics of long range shooting. Long range is pretty subjective. I want to see what range all of your rifle deer and elk kills have come from and how many shots it took to down the animal. I have only killed two deer:

Mule deer - 45 yards, 1 shot.
Mule deer - 270 yards, 1 shot. (Though I will admit this was farther than I wanted to shoot, and my placement was not great. I just got lucky the deer went down quickly.)

Alright guys, post em up.

Not so sure I want to get in on this one... It'll turn into a fight no matter what. There is no gray area here, it's always black and white.

Those of you with only a handful or less of kills to your credit probably have the "correct" answer. Having taken well over 100 head of deer and elk, I know there are no firm rules, nor a correct answer. There are just too many variables.

From archery equipment, muzzleloader, open sighted 30-30 to high powered bench rested rifles, I've shot deer with them all. If I posted the yardages on some, people would clearly question my ethics. Until you know the weapon, and my familiarity with it, along with the actual field conditions, you can't make a judgement.
I believe in getting close to my quarry. Close is a relative term, however.
Make shots you are certain will be fatal. Don't guess and seriously don't hope. Make shots within your capabilities and screw what the armchair quarterbacks think. When you are standing over your trophy, it is hard for others to claim you weren't capable.
Bill

Just this year I killed a bull at 523 to 570 yards. I hit him 4 times before he went down. 3 hits in the chest and one in the front leg. My Buck I killed at 410 with a single shot, dropped him in his tracks. With my gun I feel really good out to 600 under proper circumstances. 400 is a chip shot at a standing animal and a good rest....
2a0fcsk.gif

Two were L-O-N-G shots and two were close with ranges of 328 and 353 yards. All were 1 shot kills, peppered with total confidence in my abilities and with respect for the animal and the kill. I tried to shoot again but they fell over too quickly.

I won't say how far the long shots were in this public setting. It's not worth the effort defending myself from attacks launched by the ethics police. (read: less skilled) Remember, I've seen some of "your" targets at the ranges. You should, rightfully so, keep your shots under 300 yds..... maybe under 200 yds!

It's human nature to think that if we can't do something, then no one can. That's just the way life is.

Zeke

I have no intention of starting a fight. That's already happened on several other posts. I just want to see what is considered "normal". I just want to see some stats. Having taken only two big game animals, Im not even close to having the same experience that you guys have, especially you Bill. Sure, I raise an eyebrow when I see people taking long shots, but I dont know how experienced they are. I want to see if experienced hunters tend to shoot from further distances, or if they gradually get closer because of their skill. One would think that as the hunter gets more experienced, the distance between the hunter and the animal would shorten. Call that a hypothesis I guess. But, it could also be possible that the more experience a hunter gets, the longer shots he/she takes because of the better training with and knowledge of the weapon that is being used.

I've shot long shots before, but I've never posted a video on the web of a 15 minute kill shot.

I have been shootin the same gun since after HS.I can hit just about anything I put my mind to....I think up to 565.but I would not take that kind of shot again.If a man or woman know's thier gun and can hit a target at a certain range and feel comfortable then all the power to them. cowboy57

out of the whitetail, elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bison and bear. The vast majority of scoped rifle shots have been between 27 and 100 yards, I do remember one elk at about 200, and a moose at 200-250. Up until this year...I got a new gun and practiced throughout the summer got confident and shot a moose in AK at 550 yards and then my mule deer last week at 400. I would have gotten closer both times if I had the opportunity but the moose was across the lake and the buck was right at dark with limited time and if I went any closer he would have been out of sight until about 50 yards.

I still like to get close but if the situation doesn't allow me to, I now have the ability/confidence to shoot long range...

You could ask 100 different hunters what long range is and get 101 different answers....

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I will go out on a limb and say there is more game that is wounded and lost with shots 200 yards and under than game shot and lost at 500+...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

350 elk. dropped dead. 30-06 180 gr xp3

deer 300, 450, 18, 150, 250, 75, 105 30-06 180 gr xp3

deer 30,50, 78 bow.

78 was pushin it and in retrospect i should have held off, atleast i recovered the animal 50-60 yards later.

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-11 AT 01:44PM (MST)[p]from a few feet to several hundred yards. NONE lost. i am always amazed by the assumption that if someone has a 12 pound custom rifle that cost as much as a used car and a scope of slightly less, or more cost with custom ballisticly compliant target turrets and they can shoot constantly small groups at extreme ranges, they are homo-superior and should be held in the highest regard among all firearms owners.........please......isn't that what it was built for? anyone with such a rig can practice and be just as good. buy a wallyworld rifle combo with a 39 $ bushnell and shoot 700 yard 5 " groups and then you have something to " brag " about.

if you race a soccer mom with a dodge minivan in a quarter mile street race and you are driving a new 500 hp charger and you win doesn't mean you are " better " just have better equipment for that particular task.

My only regrets about long distance shots and/or Texas heart shots is that I don't have videos of them to rile up the Boys Choir around here.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Know your ability and shoot to it. I never shoot farther than 45 yards with my bow that is my ability. I shot a warthog in Africa across a canyon at 463 yards with a Harris bipod in the prone position with my 300 wsm. When I was 50 my kill range was less. I'm sure as I age my physical ability will decrease with a bow and gun. I hope to have 5 good years at what I consider my shooting peak. Recognize as previously mentioned the equipment you are using is a big factor in accuracy.

I have no idea, it was 1987 and I didn't have a Leica Range Finder. I was pumping shells through my dads 30-06 automatic as fast as I could.... The 2 point went down after the 3rd or 4th shot...

Does it have to do with the gun/scope thingy? Sure it does BUT it has as much or more to do with the shooter. Some of you are really good marksman, I've seen you shoot. Some of you are... well... BAD, I've seen you shoot.
That's why I hate the "buy, dial and kill" mentality. YOU CAN'T BUY SKILL! Those who have skill, know it. Those who think they have skill, rarely do.

Get really good with your rig and KNOW YOUR limits.

Case in point; I thought I was a really good snowmobiler, until I saw a really good rider. I actually suck and now I know my limits. It's not all about the machine!

You need to shoot with a few really good shooters to get yourself exposed to what really good shooters can do. Your uncle Ted doesn't count just because he killed a deer once.

When you've fired 10's of thousands of rounds and reached your 10 thousand hours of deliberate practice you'll be ready.

It all goes back to what I said about human nature: "if we can't do it then nobody can"

Zeke

This site does have too many people critisize those who can, and do shoot long distance. I really am only comfortable out to about 400 yards, and have taken only two animals out past 200 yards. But most of my shots are under 150.

Elk - 150, 25, 325, 75, and 200

Deer - 50, 175, 15, 75, 100, and 150

Bear - 30 ( he was munching on a salmon and had no idea I was there)

As Uncle Rico would say. "I bet you I could throw a football over those mountains there. Back in "82", if coach would have put me in fourth quarter, we would have taken state "No Doubt In My Mind"
Some of the posts I read on here remind me of uncle rico. I totally agree with the topic of "situation". One thing I have learned hunting, is every situation is different. In 2009, I had a limited Entry rifle tag, and all summer long I practiced out to 650yds, not with the intention of shooting an animal that far away, but I am a believer that you should "Practice" further than you plan on shooting at real game. I ended up taking a deer at 403 yds, and it was a peice of cake shot, and I dropped him in one shot. I was confident that I could make the shot, and I did. If it was Windy, or I couldn't get a good rest, the "SITUATION" would have been different. Back on the main topic, I have killed two deer over 400yds, both of them with one shot. The other four deer I have killed were everywhere from 60yds(last weekend), to 350yds. I am a firm believer, that if you are not comfortable with the situation, dont shoot.

I like the challenge of a long distance shot, but i also have good equipment and practice alot.

Distance is difficult. This year i shot two antelope, one at 530 yards and one at 550 yards. An antelopes kill zone is very small.
i shot a cow elk this year at 575 yards. Very large kill zone.
Also shot a coyote at 515 yards.
With all that said, the antelope was the hardest shot, but not the farthest. What made it difficult was flat land, wind, and a very small kill zone.
Last year i have shot a deer at 509 and the year before that 489.
all animals were taken with a .300 win mag and 165 grain Ballistic Tips.

To all you thread hijackers, please start your own thread if you want to debate or argue about distance shooting and ethics. I just want to see some data on your history of distances shot and # of shots it took to put the animal down at the distance. Please omit archery, muzzle loader, and open site weapons. Leave out your opinions and advice to other hunters.

Shooting a 300RUM with a Leupold 4x14x40 set up for out to 1,000 yards. Based on the energy, etc of the bullet I cannot kill an animal over 900 yards. I don't plan on shooting 900 but know the gun can do it.

I shot an elk last year at 575, per the rangefinder, and he was dead on the first shot but did not know it and I hit him one more time.

Shot a Mtn Goat at 535 in BC and I actually shot him 5 times and not one time did I think I had hit him until he just fell over. Hit all five times.

Shot 16 animals in Africa this year with the farthest being 308 yards and almost all were one shot harvests. Nothing wounded or escaped. Shot a Blesbuck three times and that was the most I shot at any of the animals.

I know the gun, I am 100% confident in the 180gr Accubond bullet and feel very good about the entire set up and would shoot out to 700 yards but don't think I would shoot over that at an animal.

Shot my my deer the other night at pernt near 5 feet. Right in the eye too. Longest shot I've ever had! No scope just plan ole point and let er fly. After words I told my wife she should learn to duck quicker... True story!!!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Over the past 25 years I have taken at least 50 mule, blacktail deer and antelope. Of those only 6-7 was what I consider long range of over 400 yards to 600 yards.
All 6-7 were one shot kills due to me not firing unless I had a good rest or prone position to shoot from and the wind was somewhat cooperating. The rifle I used is a 25-06 that I have had for the past 25 years and it is very accurate. Most of all I am familar with the drop table of the load I use in that gun for my deer-antelope hunting.
I have blown some shots, and they were under 200 yards due to shooting too fast and misjudging distance or running speed of the animal.
When it came to long range shooting, my father-in-law surpassed me with both of his accurate Weatherbys. He was always practicing at long range on his farm. I watched him one time drop a muley doe, we had several doe tags. After falling down the doe got back up and he fired a second shot and dropped it again. Upon getting to the doe, both shots were within 3 inches of each other in the chest above the heart.. The distance from where he shot to the doe was 6 tenths of a mile on the pickup odometer. Of the 6 rams and billie goat he collected, most were shot from 350 to 500 yards and only two required a second shot.
If a person is willing to practice enought, long shots are ethical, it's the pray and spray and hope for a hit crowd that gives long distance shooting a bad name of being unethical.

RELH

Well after reading 20+ responses and not reading too much negativity I may as well join.

I have had rifles that are fully equipped to shoot long range for 4 years now. I practice a ton, not just shooting level, but up and down steep slopes and in the wind, shots I would consider "field" shots, with the exception of the rest, which I understand is probably the most important part of a long range shot. I have shot out to 1,250 yards practicing, but most of the long range practice is at 500-1,000 yards.

With that being said, in those 4 years the longest animal out of about 14-15 (I don't count the animals I harvest each year) was 245 yards.

This year I have taken 3 big game animals. The first was an antelope at 350, second a moose at 125 and the last was a muley last week at 715. All three shots were placed in the chest and were clean kills, all dropping instantly except the deer, he ran about 20 yards and toppled over.

Anyone can buy a long range gun, but not anyone can shoot one just cause they bought one. Like anything, practice and knowledge is everything.

I, too cannot answer that question. I killed my first deer in 1964. Including, deer, elk, bears and coyotes, there have been at least 200.

I made an issue NOT OF THE DISTANCE but of the fact that someone else said they had "dialed" their BDC turret to 625 AND THEN HELD OVER.

That is absurd.

If you have the equipment, skill and the conditions are right.....I was "showing" off and hit a target for some people last Sept. It was exactly 1,111 yards....it can be done.

It's not done by getting the range, dialing the scope....and "holding over 'cause it is really far".

Within the shadows, go quietly.

How do you know if you don't try?...........

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-11 AT 06:07PM (MST)[p]I can honestly say that I have dropped every rifle deer except one in my life. The one I didn't drop with the first shot, I shot 2 more times until it expired. I didn't let the first shot do it's job and thought i missed as the deer never ran off. All three entering holes were all within a softball size area and all three shots hit the lungs.

My farthest shot on a deer is 327 yards. Most my shots are under 200 yards. I'm more about getting close when hunting deer than sending a bullet out to 500 yards. I practice 300-600 yard shots and will shoot yote dogs at that distance.

I'm not against guys shooting long distance on big game animals if they are capable of shooting long distance. I just don't like seeing legs shot off, a deer shot in the hind quarters, etc. because of bad un-ethical shots or a hunter who can't shoot long distance and decides he needs to.

>I, too cannot answer that question.
> I killed my first
>deer in 1964. Including,
>deer, elk, bears and coyotes,
>there have been at least
>200.
>
>I made an issue NOT OF
>THE DISTANCE but of the
>fact that someone else said
>they had "dialed" their BDC
>turret to 625 AND THEN
>HELD OVER.
>
>That is absurd.
>
>If you have the equipment, skill
>and the conditions are right.....I
>was "showing" off and hit
>a target for some people
>last Sept. It was
>exactly 1,111 yards....it can be
>done.
>
>It's not done by getting the
>range, dialing the scope....and "holding
>over 'cause it is really
>far".
>
>
>Within the shadows, go quietly.

If you cant answer the question, then don't post. It's a simple concept. I don't wants this thread to anything about how to shoot, when to shoot, should you shoot or anything in between. It's about what shots have you made. So annoying.

1990 coues deer 50 yards
1991 coues deer 200 yards
1992 mule deer 100 yards
1993 mule deer 50 yards
1999 pronghorn 200 yards
2006 mule deer 150 yards
2009 coues deer 400 yards
2009 pronghorn 275 yards
2010 coues deer 278 yards

Everything prior to 2006 are guesses.

I use the basketball analogy a lot but it applies here. Sure I love a good drive to the hoop for the easy lay up but I practice my butt off at the 3 point line for when that opportunity isn't available. Same way with my rifle. I shoot A LOT. I bought a custom .300 RUM two years ago and have already burned out two barrels. I practice at 1000 yards year around, 600 is a chip shot and 400 is a no brainer, but I don't go looking for that shot. There are times when getting closer is not possible or a follow up shot is necessary after the animal is hit and still runs. I want to be able to put it where it counts when I need to take the 3 pointer but I'll never pass up the opportunity for the drive and easy lay up just for the sake of being able to stroke my ego and tell everyone how far away it was. Archery hunters always seem to brag about how close it was and rifle hunters always seem to brag about how far away it was. Interesting.

....If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

Ive taken shots over 1000 yards with rifles made for just that purpose,if you dont like it its too damn bad,I enjoy the hell out of it.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-11 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]Up until i got a rangefinder, a long shot was out there at near 300 yds. On our ranch, we sometimes tried to stretch the barrels but we really had no idea just how far the shots were so when we connected, it was luck more than anything so i soon felt the need to pass on those unknown distance shots and try to get closer.

Now, i have a good rangefinder and several rifles that will put them pretty tight out to 500+ yds. That's about all i ever practice to and so far, my longest kill shot to date is near my self imposed limit at 520 yds. The last 10 years or so with maybe 15-20 kills both in state and out, i'd say my average distance is very near the 300 yds that i used to believe was just too far.

If he's going to just stand there...he's in trouble! :)

Joey

I took three bucks this year all long range. I dont really want to say how far on here as I dont need to be bashed for doing so. I will say all three were farther than most shots mentioned and two of the three including the longest were one shot kills, the third did take a few. I have seen deer wounded and missed at close range and I have never taken a shot at an animal I havent already made on a target. I dont think anyone should take a shot they dont beleive they can make. To answer an earlier question if hunters are getting closer or further from game, for me the equipment has gotten better allowing me to shoot further.

Grizz -
We're really not all raggin on ya, but you will have a hard time getting the stats you want. And its too easy to make hay out of a bunch a numbers for purposes best left alone. But I'll give you a few numbers from this year, just so you feel better :)

deer - 75 yds
deer - 90 yds
deer - 250 yds
antelope - 215
antelope -340
elk - 50 yds
elk - a long shot for me...

Some years the deer are further, and some years the antelope are closer. On average, the bulk of the game I take with a rifle is from 75-300 yds. Exceptions abound, both closer and further. And most years I take a few animals with my bow as well.
You'd be surprised how few people even know the actual range of the game they shoot. Rangefinders aren't all that common, at least from the folks I see in the woods. In the years before laser rangefinders it was easy to claim you shot at such and such a distance, because no one could prove you wrong. Rangefinders made a liar out of me for several years until I quit guessing. I carry a high quality Leica rangefinder now so I will know the distance with certainy, and can make an informed decision whether to shoot or not. Most days the rangefinder encourages me to get closer...
Bill

The longest shot I've ever taken is 209 yards. It was a Utah muley. The reason I know it was 209 is because the guide told me. I shot a pronghorn in Nevada that was about that far. I held right on and that's where the bullet hit, so it probably wasn't much farther.

I have a rangefinder now.

I don't worry too much what other people do.

Eel

A DALL SHEEP IN THE YUKON.........AT 584 YARDS.....WENT DOWN ON THE FIRST SHOT. HE REALLY TASTED GOOD.............YD.

>Grizz -
>We're really not all raggin on
>ya, but you will have
>a hard time getting the
>stats you want. And its
>too easy to make hay
>out of a bunch a
>numbers for purposes best left
>alone. But I'll give you
>a few numbers from this
>year, just so you feel
>better :)
>
>deer - 75 yds
>deer - 90 yds
>deer - 250 yds
>antelope - 215
>antelope -340
>elk - 50 yds
>elk - a long shot for
>me...
>
>Some years the deer are further,
>and some years the antelope
>are closer. On average, the
>bulk of the game I
>take with a rifle is
>from 75-300 yds. Exceptions abound,
>both closer and further. And
>most years I take a
>few animals with my bow
>as well.
>You'd be surprised how few people
>even know the actual range
>of the game they shoot.
>Rangefinders aren't all that common,
>at least from the folks
>I see in the woods.
>In the years before laser
>rangefinders it was easy to
>claim you shot at such
>and such a distance, because
>no one could prove you
>wrong. Rangefinders made a liar
>out of me for several
>years until I quit guessing.
>I carry a high quality
>Leica rangefinder now so I
>will know the distance with
>certainy, and can make an
>informed decision whether to shoot
>or not. Most days the
>rangefinder encourages me to get
>closer...
>Bill

Thanks Bill! I dont feel like Im being ragged on at all. I understand why people would not want to post their distances. Fingers can be pointed quickly declaring someone "holier than though" or unethical. Ive already been enlightened by those numbers that have been posted.

I shot a deer at 1.5......miles

Actually, lined up my spotting scope to my rifle scope and made the shot.

1 shot right in the heart, then the deer ran right over to my truck and jumped in the bed and died.....oh and I forgot to mention on the way to my truck, he gutted himself......best hunt I have ever been on!

this post is a joke haha

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-11
>AT 01:44?PM (MST)

>
>from a few feet to several
>hundred yards. NONE lost. i
>am always amazed by the
>assumption that if someone has
>a 12 pound custom rifle
>that cost as much as
>a used car and a
>scope of slightly less, or
>more cost with custom ballisticly
>compliant target turrets and they
>can shoot constantly small groups
>at extreme ranges, they are
>homo-superior and should be held
>in the highest regard among
>all firearms owners.........please......isn't that what
>it was built for? anyone
>with such a rig can
>practice and be just as
>good. buy a wallyworld rifle
>combo with a 39 $
>bushnell and shoot 700 yard
>5 " groups and then
>you have something to "
>brag " about.
>
>if you race a soccer mom
>with a dodge minivan in
>a quarter mile street race
>and you are driving a
>new 500 hp charger and
>you win doesn't mean you
>are " better " just
>have better equipment for that
>particular task.

Im here to tell you that just because a person bought the best, most expensive equipment to shoot long range, does NOT mean that they should or can. Apparently to you there is no skill involved. So tell me this. You have an elk at 650 per your range finder, but the elk is at a 30% angle and the wind is blowing 10 mph @ 9000 ft. What is the true range of the elk and how many MOA do you compensate for the wind?
And there is no skill involved? Just go buy a high dollar rifle, scope and anyone can do it.. huh. I had a buddy shoot my rifle at an elk that was 375 yards away and made a bad shot. Ended up chasing the elk down for what seemed an eternity and finally put a kill shot on it. I shot mine at 575 yards and made a perfect one kill shot. Id say some skill is involved.
Here are some important factors for long range shooting: Distance, Angle, Wind, Elevation, Humidity, Temperature, recoil of the rifle, trigger pull, Bullet: weight, load, caliber/, and most importantly.. your rifle, scope, range finder, and practice. Know your rifles limits. A heavier caliber rifle will not be as effected by the wind and distance ie: .338 type VS a 270 or .308 type.
Alot of factors to make consistent, good long range shots. Just a word of advise.. if you are wanting to do long range.. reload your own bullets!

Im here to tell you that just because a person bought the best, most expensive equipment to shoot long range, does NOT mean that they should or can. Apparently to some there is no skill involved. So tell me this. You have an elk at 650 per your range finder, but the elk is at a 30% angle and the wind is blowing 10 mph @ 9000 ft. What is the true range of the elk and how many MOA do you compensate for the wind? And there is no skill involved? Just go buy a high dollar rifle, scope and anyone can do it.. huh. I had a buddy shoot my rifle at an elk that was 375 yards away and made a bad shot. Ended up chasing the elk down for what seemed an eternity and finally put a kill shot on it. I shot mine at 575 yards and made a perfect one kill shot. Id say some skill is involved. Here are some important factors for long range shooting: Distance, Angle, Wind, Elevation, Humidity, Temperature, recoil of the rifle, trigger pull, Bullet: weight, load, caliber/, and most importantly.. your rifle, scope, range finder, and practice. Know your rifles limits. A heavier caliber rifle will not be as effected by the wind and distance ie: .338 type VS a 270 or .308 type. Alot of factors to make consistent, good long range shots. Just a word of advise.. if you are wanting to do long range.. reload your own bullets!

>Im here to tell you that
>just because a person bought
>the best, most expensive equipment
>to shoot long range, does
>NOT mean that they should
>or can. Apparently to some
>there is no skill involved.
>So tell me this. You
>have an elk at 650
>per your range finder, but
>the elk is at a
>30% angle and the wind
>is blowing 10 mph @
>9000 ft. What is the
>true range of the elk
>and how many MOA do
>you compensate for the wind?
>And there is no skill
>involved? Just go buy a
>high dollar rifle, scope and
>anyone can do it.. huh.
>I had a buddy shoot
>my rifle at an elk
>that was 375 yards away
>and made a bad shot.
>Ended up chasing the elk
>down for what seemed an
>eternity and finally put a
>kill shot on it. I
>shot mine at 575 yards
>and made a perfect one
>kill shot. Id say some
>skill is involved. Here are
>some important factors for long
>range shooting: Distance, Angle, Wind,
>Elevation, Humidity, Temperature, recoil of
>the rifle, trigger pull, Bullet:
>weight, load, caliber/, and most
>importantly.. your rifle, scope, range
>finder, and practice. Know your
>rifles limits. A heavier caliber
>rifle will not be as
>effected by the wind and
>distance ie: .338 type VS
>a 270 or .308 type.
>Alot of factors to make
>consistent, good long range shots.
>Just a word of advise..
>if you are wanting to
>do long range.. reload your
>own bullets!

You sir, have no reading comprehension skills. No one wants advice or opinions on this thread.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-11 AT 12:02PM (MST)[p]I wasn't talking to you and this is an open forum. Don't like it, don't read it. Btw, your the only person that is complaining. Every post on here has something of an opinion to it. Apparently your the one that can't read.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-11
>AT 12:02?PM (MST)

>
>I wasn't talking to you and
>this is an open forum.
>Don't like it, don't read
>it. Btw, your the only
>person that is complaining. Every
>post on here has something
>of an opinion to it.
>Apparently your the one that
>can't read.

Please see post #30. Don't like it, don't read it? I started the thread, why wouldn't I read responses? Yes it is an open forum. Go start your own thread to impart your wisdom and opinions.

Archery deer:
70 yrds
35 yrds
60 yrds

Archery antelope:
18 yrds

Archery elk:
30 yrds

Muzz deer:
50 yrds

Muzz elk:
75 yrds

Rifle deer:
235 yrds
320 yrds
265 yrds

When opportunity knocks.....ya better be able to hit it.

One year I shot an elk at 12:30 and walked right up to him. When I got to him it was 5:30. You target guys could convert this to mowa, minutes of walking per angle. He was mighty tasty too.

I was hunting with a friend of a friend just trying to be a nice guy and help find him a buck. Saw one of the biggest deer I have ever seen locally. I put him at 200 yards and told him where to hold, then plugged my ears and watched, waiting for the shot. The shot never came and I looked over and this guy was watching the deer disappear into the brush through his rifle scope. I asked him why he didn't shoot and he told me he didn't think his gun could shoot that far, (he was shooting a 7mm rem mag). We had a good laugh after I finished beating him over the head with my tripod.

He did the right thing based on his situation. He didn't have the confidence or the experience and probably would have missed or wounded that buck anyway. I later heard him telling someone about a deer he passed on. If it would have been a little bigger he might have thought about taking the shot but it was 500 yards away.

Some people just have good instincts. They have a natural ability to find game, they have an understanding of ballistics that is gained by learning or from experience, and they have the hand-eye coordination to go along with it. My Dad had an uncanny knack for connecting with bucks or pigs at any range. If he could see it, he could kill it. When he was a sophmore in high school he worked all summer driving tractor and tending header on a pull-rig harvester. He used the money he made to buy a Remington Model 721 .270 with a weaver K-6 scope on a Redfield one-piece mount. He shot a 130 grain core-loc at everything from ground squirrels to elk. He finally upgraded his optics to a Leupold vari-x II 3x9 around 1980. He shot that gun until the day he died. There is something to be said about sticking with the same equipment season after season instead of going out and buying the newest model the minute it comes out year after year. Experimenting with different components and the newest gear is a lot of fun, and there are some valid reasons to hunt with a variety of rifles. But my Dad always went for his 721 each year. We would go out and set a target up at 100 yds and he would shoot three shots. Three inches high at 100 straight above the bulls eye. Then he would clean it and he was ready to go. (The only time I remember it being off was after my brother dropped a ball-peen hammer on the scope while it was in the pickup). It was like an old friend, they understood each other. That gun was like an extension of his body. His philosophy on putting stuff down was sticking with something that worked to give you good shot placement. If you hit em in the boiler room, they are going down.

We never had laser rangefinders, just the rangefinder on our shoulders, so everyting was an estimation. Shots were "pretty close" (0-100 yds) "pretty far" (100-350yds) and a "long ways away" (350+ yds). The current ballistics technology is awsome but you still need to combine it with experience.

A good hunter would get pretty close, sometimes you had to make a shot that was pretty far. I've made a few shots that were a long ways away. But there was one day that I will never forget that left both my dad and I at a loss for words.

Dad and I were with the farmer who he had worked for years earlier to earn the money to buy his deer rifle. We were on a ranch that totaled 3500 acres with about 1000 acres in barley that year. The destruction caused by wild pigs was incredible and he had asked if we would go out and get rid of a few. (Actually is was more like every one we could see). We were driving the ranch and I was stuck in the middle of the cab listening to them reminess with stories about the old days of farming and hunting. Well, we jumped a herd of pigs just before daylight in the barley so Dad and I rolled out and got set up and shot four or five apiece that were pretty close. Two 200#ers were running away pretty far and the farmer was telling us to shoot them too. I was getting ready to hammer them when I felt my dad touch my shoulder. I looked over at him and he was grinning. He told the farmer, Why didn't he take a shot at them?
The farmer mumbled something about doing all that stuff when he was young and that was why he asked us to come along.... The pigs had run into a draw but we knew they would come out on a hillside a long ways away shortly. Dad said we could line up and all shoot together. He still declined to shoot. Finally, my dad said something like "I wonder how much grain a couple of pigs like that could eat in a month?". So this guy reaches behind the seat of the pickup and pulled out a gun case held together with duct tape. He untied a shoe lace that held the flap in place and pulled out a .30-06 that was the most worn gun I have ever seen. He must have cleaned it with steel wool and brillo pads. He got out a beat up black leather cartridge box of shells out of the glove box and pulled out two of them. The gun had a scope but no turrets on the scope body. Instead, it had external adjustments on the mounts. He opened the bolt and put the two shells in. The way he handled his gun was the same way he picked up his grandkids or held his dog. He rolled the case up and set it on the hood. He got what we would call "a good rest" and kind of gave everything a little wiggle to get settled in. All of this time those two pigs were still running. We could hear them running through the grain and see the heads and stalks moving as they headed for the safety of the brushline. Finally, we saw them emerge from the grain and started chugging up that open hillside. They ran up until they hit a cow trail, then turned broadside and were running left to right. It was mostly open with some scattered brush but it was left natural because it was too steep to farm. They had about another 50 yards to reach the brushline. All I can say is that they were a LONG ways away. That '06 boomed and a half a second later the first one went down. The second one kept running, then stopped and started running broadside but going the opposite way. He calmly worked the bolt and then proceeded to lay out the second one with the second shot. He shot both of them in almost the same spot but going opposite directions on a dead run.

My Dad had always told me stories about what a good shot that farmer was but neither of us had ever seen a display of shooting skill quite like that from anyone we knew. We drove around and out to where they were. After he shot them they rolled down the hill and one was laying almost on top of the other. Both were hit through the front shoulder. He looked at one of them and gave a little shrug and shook his head and remarked, "It looks like I hit that first one a little high". Yeah, if you call 3/4" "a little high". He acted a little irritated with us for not shooting the last two and we caused him to have to clean is rifle that evening. I offered to clean it for him and he accepted. It was a "sportarized" Rem o3-A3. Mauser action that had been altered to accomodate the scope. The trigger had so much creep that it felt like a two stage trigger. High tech equipment.

So regardless of the range, my money is on the guy with the gun that has finish and the checkering worn off, the blueing worn off of the scope turrent covers, a silver barrel, and a shiny bolt handle.

Oops....sorry about that Grizz. I was so busy typing I guess I missed the whole point of your post. I told everything in story format, then told stories about other guys shots. Guess I fall in the "retard" catagory. I won't jack your other post. Good luck on your research.

LMAO Mr dingo!
Sorry too GrizzGuy. I didn't know you were going to be so sensitive or I would have simply said "start at 25 yards and go out to 759 yards". You could fill in the year and quantities for me since I've lost track during the last 44 years of killing big game.

THIS YEAR:
328, 353, 673, 729
May I please say??? "all were 1 shot kills under strickly controlled situations"

2 of my daughters missed "easy" shots but went on to score at 60 yds and 150 yds approx. (no need to rangefind if they're under 300 yards)

Best to you in your research,
Zeke

> As Uncle Rico would say.
> "I bet you I
>could throw a football over
>those mountains there. Back in
>"82", if coach would have
>put me in fourth quarter,
>we would have taken state
>"No Doubt In My Mind"
>
> Some of the posts
>I read on here remind
>me of uncle rico.

LMAO!!

Exactly what I said on the 625 yard killshot video thread!!

HOOK 'EM!

Guys, guys =), I appreciate all of the feedback even if it took a while to find the info. Tell all the stories you want if it includes the requested info. I like reading the stories! I simply didnt want this thread to turn into another ethics topic. Nor did I want to see a guy post about a 700 yard shot and get chastised from another hunter. I just want to see the numbers =). There are lots of other opportunities and threads here that are open to ethics debates and criticism. Sorry if I came off as sensitive.

Almost all my shots are under 300 yards. If you are on your third big game animal my advice would be to practice at the range and in the field out to 300 yards. Busting milk jugs at 300 yards is a good way spend some trigger time. In time, you will know when you can stretch the range.

The long range skills mentioned here come with dedication and committment. However, they are a different skill set than hunting. Learning to find, track, stalk, and get one step ahead of your game also takes dedication and committment. If you devote time and effort to your hunting skills and shoot straight you will be way ahead of most in the field.

Off the top of my head:

Deer 261 yards, one shot.
Deer 281 yards, one shot.
Deer 25 yards , one shot.
Deer 70 yards, two shots. The first took out his spine and would've done him, but I couldn't let him continue to struggle.
Deer 380 yards, one shot.
Deer 307 yards, one shot.
Elk 70 yards, one shot.
Elk 320 yards, one shot.

Could be a few more deer in there, but nothing over 380.

Deer were all shot with a .270 and the elk were shot with a .338 Win. Mag., both Browning A-Bolts.

Deer 7mm mag @ 425, 1 shot
Antelope 7mm mag @ 450ish 1 shot
Elk 30-06 @ 275 1 shot 2 steps... dead
Antelope 30-06 @ 216 4 shots...... hit 4 times too, little bastard wouldn't die!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-11 AT 04:01PM (MST)[p]Last two archery bulls 4 yards and 46 yards. (one shot)
Last three Coues deer. Mx Coues at 320 (one shot)
Az buck 660 (one shot)
Mx coues buck 720 yards. (first shot hit liver, 2nd shot 30 sec later through shoulders)
Last 2 archery mulies 32 yards and 65 yards. (one shot each)
Archery Coues at 27 yards spot and stalk. one shot

First and foremost I'm an archery hunter and prefer to get close.
One thing I do that I heard from one of those "famous" long range shooters on TV.( not sure who said it) I aim high and forward so any "miss" shot high or forward will completely miss the deer and any "miss" shot that is back and low will still be in vitals. I don't like tracking jobs I prefer to see them go down. I hunt a bunch and want every advantage so I spend hours shooting/reloading and making sure all my equipment is in perfect condition.

2nd thing I've learned that just because my equipment can perform doesnt' mean anyone can shoot my gun and be succesful.; I'm careful who I let shoot it, I learned the hard way by letting someone take a shot they had no business taking.

My goal is to shoot a bedded Coues buck at under 20 yards then I've done something special.

I tend to take shots at game that are dictated by the circumstances surrounding each scenario. I've also come to realize that since I can make the shots, posting distance is of no use. I will say, so far I can ventilate milk jugs at 700 yards, first shot, every time. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom