Shot this group the other day!

AWHOLELOTTABULL

Long Time Member
I shot this 400 yard group the other day with my .300 WSM. Getting ready for the 100 yard nationals in Clarksburg, WV on Labor Day. I'm excited about the shot group this gun is producing. Bad thing is, with the gun consistantly shooting this good, I have not excuses now!:) Oh, and it's topped with the new Vortex PST 6-24x50. Absolutely love the gun and the scope. They were made for each other.

1882img00059-20110729-1107.jpg

It's always an adventure!!!

It's a benchrest gun so we are talking very steady rest here. But yah, I'm excited. But like I said, if I screw up at nationals, I can't blame it on the gun!

LOL! That's a losing group at 100 yards!:D Thanks Prism for the typo! That would be 1000 yard Nationals.

You can shoot that group with your eyes closed JB! I know I can. Hell, if I kept my eyes open that group would be scattered!

Yep! 400 Yards. The gun shoots a sub 5" group at 1000 yards but I haven't won a tournament yet. I have a 6BR that will shoot a 1.9" group at 600 yards. I'm glad you think that's a rediculous group. I'm happy with it but not exstatic. A sub .5" group will be competitive but it's not a lock on a win.
Would you like pictures of the gun and setup or the bullet in flight?

Here's the recipe - .300 WSM, Berger 210 VLD Target, H4350 62 grains, Federal 210 primers, Winchester brass weighted in groups, with an overall lenth of 3.085".

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-11 AT 00:23AM (MST)[p]This is the gun we call "Slytherin" .300WSM. Assembled and milled to spec by gunsmith Gordy Gridders out of Pella Iowa.

1121slytherin.jpg

Custom Shehane stock out of South Carolina with a Stiller action out of Texas

8333img00061-20110803-2306.jpg

Kreiger barrel out of Wisconsin, topped with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA

1232img00063-20110803-2307.jpg

Total "Slytherin" package is around $5500.00

It damn well better shoot those kinds of groups!

This is the 6BR that shoots the "screamer groups".
1988vortex_shooters.jpg

I may be exhibiting my ignorance here but I thought I read somewhere that the 1000 yard guys are happy to hit a 12" target consistently. I guess I'm a bit more educated and AWHOLELOTTA more impressed.

No sweat Thunder! I guess it depends on the discipline you are shooting but the light and heavy gun class in the IBS and NBRSA tournaments are shooting winning groups at sub 5". It all depends on the day as well and the relay you get in. The relay prior to yours may have a dead wind but your relay may have a 10mph in which it makes it really difficult to shoot sub 5" groups. A lot of the accuracy is in the weapon. These guns are fine tuned right down to the torques on the action screws, and the cartridge overall length down to the 100th of an inch. It's more of an obsession to get groups like this. I doubt you would ever get a hunting gun to shoot groups like that but I have shot some that were really close. Anyway, it's fun and very satisfying to get a gun that shoots well but it takes a lot of time, money and ammo to get it done.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-11 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]AWB Great groups and awesome looking rifle! Is that 6BR built on a savage?? Also how has the vortex PST been doing for you? Have been considering one for a LR hunting rig and not sure about which model to choose. 4-16 or 6-24?

Cahunter - The 6BR is a stock Savage. Good eye. It's had some modifications done but for the most part it's still a stock gun. It looks a little different now though. A buddy of mine owns a custom paint shop and he turned his airbrush guy loose on it. As far as the PST goes, I absolutely love it. Return to zero is flawless, adjustability is smooth, optics are clear as a bell in ALL conditions, and the functionality is really nice. I have mounted a lot of scopes in my day and I have yet to mount a scope that is as accurate out of the box as this PST was. It took 2 shots to find my 200 yard zero and then shot a .49" group with the next 5 shots. For me, deciding which power to get depends on the application. I'm all for power so the more power for me the better. Some guys may never get dialed up to 24 power so it's over kill but either way you chose to go, you won't be disappointed in the glass. Just so you know, I have shot through Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender, Leupold, and Leica. This PST is a very competive scope with a cost of $800-$900 depending on which focal plane you get. Good luck with your decision.

This is the same 6BR with a little facelift. It's hard to see the marbling in the paint but it's a beautiful gun. The wife and kids have named it "The Orange Blossom Special".

7776img00067-20110805-0919.jpg

Jerry,
That brake was milled by Gordy Gritters. I'm sure there are some fantastic gunsmiths out there but I don't know any better. That break has a solid piece that replaces it for tournaments that don't allow brakes. Love shooting it with that break though.

Jim

Bull, That is straight up impressive!

Figured i was doing good with 3" 400 yd 3 shot groups! :)

Here's tipping my cap to you! Well done!!

Joey

EH66,
Gordy and Kris are good friends of ours. He has built several rifles for me over the years and done a lot of gunsmithing on other guns for me. I would pay the shipping to have him do my work. He's slowing down though now that he is the Fire Marshal up in Kansas City, MS. They made the move. I will see him on Labor Day weekend and I will give him a hello from you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom