should I change bullets?

Craig

Very Active Member
I shoot a Remington .300 ultra mag with 180 grain Swift Sorrocco ( spelling) bullets. The last two years I have shot mule deer. The first one was about 300 yards and the second one was about 70 yards. The first deer went about ten feet and died and the second one fell like a bag of rocks and never moved. Neither deer had exit wounds or any damage to the far shoulder or far side of the body.

Next month I am going on a elk hunt and was wondering if I should change bullets to the 180 grain nozler partition or the 200 grain nozler bullets.

Do you think I would get better penetration and pass through shots with the nozler bullets. If I find a nice bull I want to drop him as fast as I can and if I can take out the far shoulder or a pess through with ond shot It might help.

Howdy,

If you are confident with the way your rifle shoots with that bullet, USE it for elk. I think you won't have near as much trouble tracking as you imagine.

Coach

I would go with a Nosler Partition, Swift A frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, or any other premium bullet that is designed for elk, and high velocities. No way would I trust that Scirocco. Sure it will kill an elk with an ideal broadside shot, but why take any chances?

Craig;
I would change bullets for elk. The deer you shot, at the range you mentioned, should have been a complete pass though. It appears the bullet you have been using is blowing up on the deer. You can not count on that bullet holding together on a larger elk. I use 180 gr. Nosler Partitions for elk in my 300 Win. Mag. Give them a try, I am sure you will love them. If you do not reload, Federal has a 180 gr. Nosler Part. load. I and my hunting partner use this load and both of us get 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards in our 300 mags.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom