shwackers

smitty

Very Active Member
We recently got back from a bear hunt in Alberta where we killed a couple bears with the shwacker broadhead. Both bears were dead within 5-10 seconds. I was extremely impressed with the devastation to the bears, but I'm wondering if they would do the same to a big bull elk? Does anyone have any experience with these broadheads and elk? I usually shoot Montecs, but I was really impressed with the shwackers, but having said that, bears and big elk are 2 different animals. Thoughts?

Smitty, How ere the entry holes on the bear from the Schwacker? If you feel they were adequate to make a good blood trail you might be okay. I think the thing you need to consider is what happens if you don't get a pass through shot? You will most likely still kill it but how will your blood trail be? It takes a lot of momentum with a heavy arrow for those heads to open just by design. I have heard from a guy that had his ferrule bend on bone and lock the blades shut within the body of the head. I don't have any real time experience with them but just looking at the design IMO I would worry about kick outs on quartering shots as well. Good luck with your elk hunt, post it up and don't forget the pictures! :)

GBA

My buddy's bear was an almost straight on shot that went in just to the side of the shoulder, down and cut through 6 ribs on the opposite side, it never made it through the hide though. The bear didn't make it 15 yards. My bear was a perfect broadside shot at 20 yards, right behind the shoulder and blew through the off side, I could see a pile of blood from my stand. My bear ran maybe 40 yards, entrance holes were about 2 1/2 inches, his exit was 7", mine about 4". Devastating on bears, I'm a little leary about shooting a big bull elk with 'em. I might just stick with the montec.

I am under the impression a Schwacker will not deploy until the blades were inside. So the kick out blades must be doing the damage on entry then correct? I have asked several times various folks about their entry holes and go no response so I assumed it wasn?t very big. Thos shots were on deer. So I ask why are you leery of using them on Elk?

I used to use Vortex 125 grain heads on Elk. Killed a few Elk with them, massive holes for sure but only had one give me a pass through. Those were wide 2? Inch blades. Takes a lots to have them get through the hide on the exit side after going through ribs twice. The Schwacker would give you a little more as the blades would not be fully deployed until it gets past the first set of ribs. I just figured it would be a small entry hole though and still would be concerned about quartering kick out with a jack knifing type head. Great info, I don't suppose you got any pic?s of your bears did you?

GBA

I got a simple cell phone pic of my buddy's exit wound. Don't know how to post it. PM me your email and I'll text it to you.

My buddy killed a spike elk last year with the swacker. It left an impressive entrance hole for sure.

}}-SLIVER-->

I shot a large bodied muley buck last year with a 100 grain Swhacker. The entry hole was about 1 1/2". The buck went down in sight. I am intrigued enough to be shooting them again this year. I have a friend in Arizona that has taken a couple of elk with them and he said that is where they really shine.

Watched two big bulls go down within 30 yards last year. Un believable how well they work. I highly recommend them. One bull walked three steps and fell over. he didnt even make it outta the wallo

I killed a nice bull last year with the shwacker. At 35 yards the arrow passed all the way through. My bow was an Elite Judge 30" draw set at 64 lbs. The elk went maybe 40 yards. I watched him expire. I shot him right behind the should. It had a good entrance wound, but the exit wound was nothing like I had ever seen before. With elk you need to stay away from the big bones with any broadhead, not just the shwacker.

Which Shwackers are you guys talking about? The 100gr regular heads,or the 100gr wide cut or 125gr which also have a wider cut?
Did you hear the Shwack..........?

I was shooting the 100gr regular I believe. And, yes I did hear the swhack! As soon as I saw where the arrow hit I thought, "Damn, that's gonna be unhealthy!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom