Sick ba$tards at Vail (WA)

polarbear

Long Time Member
Howdy!
Well, today I headed up to the WDFW check station at Vail (I only live a couple of miles down the road) to see what kind of deer had been shot up there this past couple of weekends. It was pretty sad. I had my little girls with me and as we were chewing the fat with one of my old buddies at the check station, a rig pulls up with a deer in the back to be checked. 2 older guys pile out and procede to tell this huge tail about this buck. When they dropped the tailgate and exposed this "buck", my 5 year old asked "why did you shoot so many holes in that baby deer?" These dudes were so proud of this 5 1/2 month old buck. They laughed as they had to hold down the hair to be able to see the nubbins. To top it all off, he had shot it 7 times!!!!! The remaining meat was less than 10-20 lbs worth. My buddy said that this had been pretty typical of the deer coming out this year. He showed me a pic of a kid that had taken his first buck and took 4 shots to do it. The first shot took out the deer's lower jaw, 2nd & 3rd missed and 4th was in he guts.
I don't know about you folks, but I believe that these slob roadhunters should be ticketed for such reckless activity.
I had to explain to my girls that not everyone should be able to hunt and some folks make the rest of us suffer from their stupidity or laziness. It was an eye opening experience for them and one that I think that they needed to see.
Ok, off my soap box now....

yotewalk.gif

Eric

Polar:

Those dudes should be ashamed of themselves. They should buy their meat at Safeway and hang up their guns. Guys like this give hunting a bad name, not to mention the the lack of respect for wildlife and good sportmanship. Kudos for you for investing time with your daughters and showing them your passion for hunting. It just sucks that they had to witness these jerks who call themselves hunters!!

I was sitting on a high rock point glassing for lopes, Wyoming 12 years ago, when I observed a Chevy El Camino with Texas plates, driving down a dirt gas pipeline road. they were below and about several hundred yards away. I saw the El Camino going like hell and one hunter standing in the back shooting at a herd of antelope that was running ahead of the vehicle. The vehicle stopped, hunter walked out of sight behind a small hill and I heard a finish shot. Hunter got back into the vehicle, left dead antelope, and they drove away looking for more antelope.
I will be honest and admit that I was thinking about putting a bullet into the engine of that vehicle, but instead made contact with the local warden and reported it with description of vehicle and the two slobs. These slob hunters are everywhere and give hunting a bad name.

RELH

LOL, this is funny because when I took my elk and deer into the processor this year I would ahve to say 50% of the game brought in by out od state hunters this year were small as heck fawns, probably about 40 pounds live weight. The processor said that they paid $1,500.00 for them, shot them 5 times then paid $69.00 to get them processed.....My dad also told me s story one time were some people from WI were antelope hunting in WY. My father and uncle pulled around a small hill to see them bail out of their truck and shoot 9 goats dean, then get back in and drive off, aparently not aware that ne anyone had scene them...They got their plate number and call the G & F, but did not know what became of them...

Michael

The Vail Game Management Unit in Thurston County, regularly among the state's top deer-hunting sites, had average weather for an average crowd that took an average number of deer during the Oct. 15-16 opening weekend, said Jack Smith, WDFW regional wildlife manager. Some 108 black-tailed bucks were checked at the area south of Rainier on the first two days of the modern-firearm season.

Smith said. Spikes dominated the harvest, along with a fair number of two points, Smith said. No big bucks were taken.

Sounds like a zoo out there. They can't shoot and small bucks are getting blasted like crazy.

Guys that shoot out of trucks and off of quads are not called hunters to me. Here in Cali, roadhunting seems to be the prefered way to hunt by "hunters". Nobody wants to go out in the high country with there back packs, or even there horses for that matter. Last year on his way to his hunting area, my buddy (bucksnort) had an altercation with a guy on a horse. The idiot was riding his horse down the road, instead of out on the trails miles form everybody else and the horse ran right into his Jeep. He just said to the guy "Pretty stupid horse huh" LOL. Good luck all and get off the roads. Muledeernut

Isn't illegal to shoot a button buck in a buck only untit. If the horn isn't above the hair line that is an illegal buck. This is just another reason WA needs to go to a draw system for all hunts and start managing for quality and not quantity.

Those dudes had an "any deer" tag. Just one of a buttload that the hand out for that unit.
I agree that WA needs to go to a draw system. The Vail unit could produce some monster bucks in a few years if they limited the number of folks allowed in (including Weyerhaeuser employees) to hunt, eliminate the doe permits and make it a 3pt or better unit. I found out the other day that Weyerhaeuser allows their employees to hunt Vail during the week, while it is closed to the public.
yotewalk.gif

Eric

Its pretty funny that there are so many hunters from WA that go to other states and very few hunters that go to WA to hunt. When I lived in WA I always wanted to go out of state to hunt and never expected to shoot a trophey in WA. As for draw hunts. Look at Alkali, Desert, and Quilomene. THese units have huge bucks in them and its all draw hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-05 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]There are plenty of "book" animals here, you just have to work for them. Hell, I have over a half of a dozen myself and am waiting for late archery elk to add one more to the list. (I have a nice 6x7 340+ bull located in a really remote area) Shhhhh..... I have found that the vast majority of folks that claim that there are no trophy critters here in WA are the ones that wont get their road-hunting butts out of the rig and more than a few hundred yards off of the road. Just like those city boy fags up at Vail. Most "hunters" these days dont have enough patience to really hunt where the big ones get pushed to. They watch the oudoor channel and see how easy it is for those dudes to get a "book" class critter and think that they can do it too with minimal effort.
Bottom line..... Anyone can get a trophy critter in this state, even without a "special permit". It just takes a patience, perserverance and homework.
yotewalk.gif

Eric

Hi all
Im new to this site but your subject caught my eye. I live in Wa st too and know a few rifle "hunters" that hunt in vail what a joke that place is.. At work we call it a u-hunt it's a joke like thoese u-fish places you just pay and get one. All of the guys at work are very lazy and put little to no effort into anything they do,work,family and even hunting.It's just a sad thing to see the sport i love being represented by these a-holes thats why Iv'e been bow hunting the last 8 yrs. anyway hope everyone has a great season

Polarbear -

Sheee, there are no trophy animals here in WA, remember. Let everone else complain and go out of state, less competition to deal with. The vail tree farm sounds like a bad place to go hunting and a good place to go idiot watching, lol.

Ridgerunner
You are correct! This state is one of the worst states to hunt for trophy critters! It is even worse than Rhode Island! Vail is a great place to idiot watch. A few years back, a buddy and I went up there to cruize around and hunt coyotes, grouse etc. I spotted 2 bucks (a spike and a forkie) on this bald hillside bedded down. They were less than 200 yards away from the road that we were sitting on. The only thing concealing them was a little patch of fire weed. We had 5 rigs full of roadhunters pull up to see what we were looking at. Out of 14 "hunters" none of them spotted those bucks! Finally I told one of the dudes (he had a beer in his hand and was covered head to toe with dayglow orange) watch this. I fired a round into a stump about 40 yards away from the bucks. Up they jumped and were in the timber before those dudes could put their beers down. My buddy and I laughed so hard at the reaction of those dudes that we damn near peed ourselves! Boy were those guys pissed! I should have offered to put them on the bucks for a nice little fee. Judging from these dudes, I doubt if any of them could hit one anyway.
I am going back up tomorrow evening to see what the final count was. My friend that works the check station has been trying to get me to do it also, but I would just spend most of my time bitchin out slob roadhunters which is bad p.r.
yotewalk.gif

Eric

I totally agree with polarbear. It seems that a lot of people in washington are lazy road hunters. I took my buddy hunting for his first time today up at the st helens tree farm. after getting out of the truck and doing a little walking he was able to get his first deer which I made sure he had a steady rest before shooting and that buck dropped where he stood. It wasnt a very big buck but a nice first deer. Everyone else there had been driving around all day and hadnt seen a thing.

I hunted vail last year and I couldnt believe how many people were road hunting and shooting little bucks off the road. Once I had hiked back in the woods a ways I didnt see a hunter the whole time. I even saw a decent buck that I couldnt get a shot on. I agree that the weyerhaueser tree farms should have a 2 or 3 point or better rule because of the number of deer. They would grow some monster bucks. why cant the state manage their forests like weyerhauser? cut them trees down!

Well, I checked it out up there this evening. They actually shot some nice bucks today. One 5x4 several 3s and a monster 2x2. I guess the 2x2 was over 20" wide and almost as high. There were a ton of decent bucks spotted today, but most of the dudes couldnt get the job done. Go figure. Haahaaa... I did see one dude with a tiny spike in his mini-van. The best part is he had The Outdoor Channel and Buck Masters stickers all over his soccer mom rig! He and all 3 of his buddies were head to toe in Cabela's finest dayglow orange. I just couldnt help but burst out in laughter. I dont think that they appreciated it.
The blackies are just starting to rut around here. Right on time. My buddy wants me to come up and help out in the woods during the 2 day late rifle season up there. I might just take him up on it, but I want to take a cam-corder with me and win some cash on "America's Dumbest Hunters".
yotewalk.gif

Eric

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom