Side arm

m48goat

I'm currently trying to decide what caliber to get for a sidearm. I was pretty set on getting a 357 mag but I recently shot my friends 44 mag and now I'm debating on the two? I am not recoil shy. What are your guys opinions on those two calibers?

What do you guys carry for a sidearm when hunting? What do you like or reason for your choice?

Would you recommend something other then 357 or 44 ?
Post pics if you have any please

Goat

I don't go scouting, hiking or hunting without my 357, I have no experience shooting a 44 Magnum but I'm sure you would be happy with both. I use the .357 because I grew up with one.

Empty both guns as fast and accurately as you can. See which one you could unload into a charging bear's skull the fastest and most effectively. No reason to shoot a 357 if you can pump a bigger and harder hitting bullet as/more accurately.

On the flip side, no reason to step up in power if you can't shoot it well. JMO

I have packed at least 10 different side arms in as many years hunting and have come to the conclusion I personally like a .45 ACP in a revolver platform.

Smith and Wesson 625-8

smith625.jpg

The ACP is enough to take the fight out of black bears, lions and two legged evil but mellow enough to pop a grouse or rabbit nicely enough for easy clean up with 230 gr. ball ammo. (so is a .357 with .38 loads)The economics of the ACP are great as well and its a lot easier on your ears than a Mag for those times hunting when ear plugs are not worn.

Some people hate moon clips, I personally love them. I can also carry 24 rounds in a standard two flap speed load pouch by stacking them plus the 6 in the gun for 30 total.

454hh.jpg

I find it easier for me personally to keep revolvers running reliably compaired to the semi autos I have packed when full of dust, leaves, twigs, snow/ice and spilt soda.

All this being said the only advantage over a .357 is reduced noise and more ammo in the same space due to cartride length.

Good luck,

Todd

The 3-5-7 is a Nice Weapon!

Advantages:

You wanna be a Pussssy!

Or maybe save an Ear Drum!

Or just do some Plinking!

You can shoot .38's in it!

My 3-5-7 has Quite a Few Notches on it!:D

Now!

If you wanna Pack a Mans Gun!

The RUGER ALASKAN 454 CASULL!

Same Type a Deal!

You can shoot .45's in it if you can't Hang on to it!:D

The Cylinder is Longer than the Barrel!:D

Packs a Punch!

You already said recoil doesn't bother you!

Gotta be 'SILVER' LMAO!

Here's the 3-5-7:

3026686-7.jpg

Here's the 454 CASULL:

1624454.jpg

They are Both Self Protection Revolvers for me!

A Big Bull gets too close to me & I'm gonna have to Protect Myself!:D

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

I like my .357, and I don't feel undergunned with it. Mine is stuffed with 180 grain Bufalo Bore hardcasts at 1400 fps. I also like a revolver in the hills better than a semi-auto. Less to go wrong with it. If I were to step up, I'd probably go .41 magnum. mtmuley

Whatever you pick, be sure you have practiced with it and keep it accessible.

I laugh at the guys who keep a handgun in their day pack, buried so deep, it is useless.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-13 AT 10:42AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-13 AT 08:54?AM (MST)

if your looking to protect yourself from a grizzly bear look into a .41, the .357 or 44mag. I like the .44 mag myself, it really packs a punch with those 300 gr bear loads.

its a new model super-Blackhawk with 5 1/2 inch barrel.

I use and abuse it and has never failed me. if you plan to carry a lot look into the titanium models for less weight. I like the heavier gun cause I am more accurate.

and a .41 vs .44 you can find bigger and more loads for a .44

I usually carry my Ruger .454 casull. It's the super alaskan version so it has a short 2" barrel making it nice and compact yet it still packs quite a wallop. My advice is to go with the largest caliber you can shoot comfortably and accurately. No one ever wished they had a smaller caliber

The .357 is on the light side, but better than nothing in a pinch. For years I carried a 41 mag, and then a 44 mag. I've killed deer with both the .357 and the .41, and there is a significant difference. No concerns that the 44 will do the job even better. Lately i have been carrying a 45 ACP, and even a 40 S+W on occasion. Neither are great killing cartridges, but will still make a dent in any predator. They are very close range cartridges, as is the .357, but we are talking protection here, not a main hunting weapon.
Use whatever you will take on a regular basis.
Bill

I think either are great for the lower 48. The 41 mag is a great caliber too. I just went with a .357 due to the versatility of being able to shoot 38's through it -- and Wyoming just made it legal to hunt big game with the .357 now.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-13 AT 11:18AM (MST)[p]I like the Glock 20 in 10mm. Buffalo bore loads produce 700+ ft-lbs. More power than 357, every bit as much power as a 44 out of a 3" barrel (don't believe me chronograph it then do the math). Avantages: less weight and 10 more rounds.

I feel like going with a .44 mag. I also wouldn't feel underpowered if I had a .357...I wish I could buy both haha

Goat

If you use the 357, just file off the front sight so when the bear takes it from you and shoves it up your ars, it won't hurt so bad.
I wanted to get some grouse AND needed protection. I went with a 45/410. Was going to get a judge, but had to be conservative on weight. The Alaskan survival 45/70 was A LOT more money.
3199derringer.jpg

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Anyone that can shoot a .357 does not need mickeymouses advice. Especially if he thinks packing that thing in his pic is a good idea. Weight is overrated. I pack a 6 inch barelled Ruger on my hip in a quality holster. I never notice it. Shoulder harnesses under clothes are worthless. Besides, I guess with 4 rounds of .300 RUM and 6 rounds of the Buffalo bore, if I can't get it done on a bear or lion or whatever is gonna eat me, shame on me. mtmuley

.357, .41, .44 all magnums. 45ACP, 45/70, what else, oh ya, 454Casull.
Fook it, take the ole 9 iron!
As for myself, can't go wrong with the old reliable, new model commemorative edition, Black hawk .44 mag!

Thanks for your guys responses..I think I'm leaning towards a .44 mag.those of you that have one, what do you have?ruger ? Smith& Wesson?...

Goat

Try out several models and pick which ever feels best in your hands as Ruger and S&W are both make great guns.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

In my above picture I would say that either would be fine. They are both full framed revolvers w/4" barrels weighing 27 ounces. That is about 1/2 the weight of a normal revolver of that size.

I carry a Ruger Redhawk in .41 magnum. It sits in a Ringler Wyoming Combination Holster. I hand load for it. I carry this gun in the NW Wyoming backcountry at all times while hiking.I know it will knock a bear down. A few years ago in Idaho, I took a large black bear with it. Less recoil than a .44 magnum.
I load it with a cast bullet from an outfit in Riverton, Wyoming.

This the choice of weapon for me in bear country...8 Rounds for the bear and the last one for me..
5264p1030044.jpg

When bowhunting I carry a Ruger SP101 in .357 (we don't have Grizz in Colorado).

If I am rifle hunting a pistol makes about as much sense as carrying around a rock, why bring extra weight?

When I was bear hunting in Idaho . I carried my S&W 44 mag model 29 nickle plated with a 8" barrel.I can put it on a paper target at 100 yards w/ iron sights. I have a hip holster and a under the arm rig. I got the gun for my 19 birthday. It is a great shooter and you can hit what you are aiming at with it. Unlike some of my shorter pistols I have. I guess I have learned to trust it over the years. Ya you can call me "Dirty Harry" ;-)

Just because the number is higher doesn't mean it's more powerful MickeyMouse. Check some ballistics and you'll find out that a .357 delivers more pop than a 45 colt (depending on the load of course).

That being said I do have a judge and it is a fun gun to shoot. I would take into the woods as a sidearm too.

WYmoose

Thanks for your guys opinions and help..Inow I need to go and hold a couple different models and see what feels good to me

Goat

I have a .357 but am seriously considering picking up the glock 20. That 10mm is pretty bad ass round. From what I hear it is the sidearm of choice in grizz country for lots of outfitters and guides.

Anybody else have experience with the Glock 20?

Hey Mickeymouse! That's a great gun to have in bear country. @ shots? That's the best advice for a sidearm you have? Make sure you save that second shot for yourself so when that bears chewin on you you don't feel it. A double barrel! LMAO

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-13 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]got a 44 mag I like to carry in the hills especially on those night hikes into my honey holes. always good to calm the nerves knowing it is there even though I have never needed it.
3153july_2013_153.jpg

the bullet I'm holding is my home protection rounds...
5205july_2013_154.jpg

7602july_2013_155.jpg

Yes, its a little heavy, but is fun to shoot.

Sidearm while hunting? Unless I was hunting grouse, I wouldn't bother with one, and even then I would just carry a round of buckshot or slugs if I was concerned about predators. Most any rifle is going to pack a hell of a lot more energy than even the most powerful handgun. Save the weight. Shoot them with your '06.

Easy to say unless you hunt where there are a number of things that can and will eat you. Say a lion knocks you down and you lose your rifle. What now? What if that powerful .30-06 doesn't take down the pissed off bear? A few years ago a hunter here in Montana was gutting an elk, his rifle against a tree some distance away. At least with a sidearm he may have had a chance. The weight of a sidearm is hardly noticeable, at least to me. I don't go in the woods period without mine. mtmuley

You may be right, mtmuley, but I subscribe to the belief that if you carry a handgun as a deterrent to being eaten by grizzly, you will need only one round--and that one to put yourself out of your misery.

Even if I only had a 22 I'd still pack it..If I'm gonna get eaten or killed I'll do so while slinging lead..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

bullskin, i guess if you want to follow your own recommendation, that's up to you. For me, i can easy hit a paper plate at 50yds every time, keep a soda can moving until i'm empty, and feel a ton safer in bear country with the big iron on my hip!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Bullskin, We grew up with a major ground squirrel problem on our ranches. While still in our early teens, both my best friend and i had bought decent 22 target pistols to make the game of shooting them more sporting. That was the start of it and it went on from there.

I've been wanting A S&W 460 4" for years. Too many things on the list...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom