side arms & bowhunting

I've heard that it is legal for protection purposes, but that you're not allowed to use it to wound or finish off the game that you're hunting. However, I would recommend calling NMDGF to get a definitive answer rather than rely on hearsay.

Yes it is legal. I spoke with a game warden two months ago and I asked this question. It is legal but the NMDGF doesn't like it due to the amount of poaching that takes place during the bow hunts with a pistol. NMHS

Hey, 1st time poster. A buddy turned me on to this site and it's great!! Heard a Possum Police tell a guy at a hunter safety class a while back that it IS legal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting. He also said that if you got checked that they (G&F) would take a long hard look at the animal and that you could NOT use it to finish off an animal. Hope it helps.

NMPaul,

I think the point is just for more personal protection more than anything. Especially if you are hunting in an area with a high population of Mountain Lions. I got stalked by a mountain lion a couple of years ago, just scouting for deer, and was wishing I had my pistol with me that day. Would I have used it, probably not, but would have made me feel better. I gaurantee I can unholster my pistol, chamber a round and fire an accurate shot much faster than pulling an arrow out the quiver, getting it on the string, putting on my release, drawing and shooting.
Guess it's personal preference, but I always carry a pistol with me during archery season.

Jeff

I was Muzzy huntin Nv several years ago and after packing to the top of the mountain and seeing lion tracks and scat, I couldn't sleep all night. Hunted the AM and packed out. Was more worried about sleeping amongst them without a handgun then seeing one while I was up. Not legal in NV during primitive seasons.

Might also think about carrying if you are hunting the southern units along the border( Arizona 0r NM)
Lotsa problems down there right now.....

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom