Simplify what tech should be banned/restricted

hossblur

Long Time Member
We all know that tech has entered our sphere.

We also all know that laundry lists, never accomplish anything.

So, "focus like a laser beam".

What is 1 thing you believe we need to limit or outright ban from hunting involving tech?

Just one.

Here's my list: (In order of importance)
#1_______________________________________
#2_______________________________________
#3_______________________________________
#4_______________________________________
#5_______________________________________
#6_______________________________________
#7_______________________________________
ETC
ETC
ETC

Shucks, I'm having a hard time filling in the blanks because banning every technology I thought of was divisive, had no impact on my current hunting, didn't do anything to increase the herds, was difficult to enforce, and required me to either add to or take from my chosen hunting equipment. I think I'll pass on this great opportunity to make a difference in everybody else's hunting except mine.

Last edited:
And Here You Go Again Hossy!

You Think The Whole F'N Thing can Be Fixed by Banning One Item!

WRONG!!!

This Ain't BUCKY But...................You're...................WRONG!

We all know that tech has entered our sphere.

We also all know that laundry lists, never accomplish anything.

So, "focus like a laser beam".

What is 1 thing you believe we need to limit or outright ban from hunting involving tech?

Just one.

So Hossy!

This Is JUST For You!

BROWNINGS Chambered in 30-06 Would Be Out-Lawed So F'N Quick You Wouldn't Have Time To Sell Your Gun!:D

That Should Fix it!

You Asked!

And Here You Go Again Hossy!

You Think The Whole F'N Thing can Be Fixed by Banning One Item!

WRONG!!!

This Ain't BUCKY But...................You're...................WRONG!

I don't.

But, dudes throw out a 5 page manifesto.

Thermals got banned, because we focused on thermals(don't tell the Texas troll, he's pro thermals).

Dave Ramsey style. Pick smallest, easiest, check it off, move on.

157996.jpg

"VERBIETEN SIE!"

Here's a thought.

Technology in our hunting world isn't going away, all it is going to do is snowball as long as there's a strong enough market for it.
Utah has been a breeding ground for technology because we do not limit ourselves.
Don't believe me, look at the $11k muzzleloader Gunwerks has developed to kill at long range in places like Nevada where open sights and sabots are illegal.

After these past couple months of posting, arguing, crying and even praising, the vast majority most definitely and without question agree we need to reign it in somewhere and at some point even if it changes our own weapons, our scouting, hunting and actual shooting.

Let's just step back in time about 10 years ago before we had instant "aim and shoot" rangefinders automatically built into optics.
Limit EVERY SEASON to "old school" handheld rangefinders without eliminating them completely, compromise.
We all agree accuracy leads to quicker, more humane kills.
Again....compromise.

Archery-
No electronic devices on archery equipment whatsoever, ranging or aiming.
(Let off percentage could also be discussed)

Muzzleloaders-
No magnification optics.
No turreted open sights.
Must be loaded from barrel.
No smokeless powder.

Rifles Scopes-
No built in rangefinding or angle compensation capabilities.
No internal illumination.

realistically I don’t think banning any in my opinion will change population numbers but it would for sure have a influence on quality of deer.
But in all seriousness a lot less fork n horns would die at +1000 yards if we did something long range artillery, maybe ban turret adjustable scopes or something like that.

realistically I don’t think banning any in my opinion will change population numbers but it would for sure have a influence on quality of deer.
But in all seriousness a lot less fork n horns would die at +1000 yards if we did something long range artillery, maybe ban turret adjustable scopes or something like that.
You are correct.
Limiting technology isn't intended to "change population numbers".
It IS however going to have some influence on quality just as you stated ?

All scopes are adjustable…

1-Click is still 1/4” at 100 yards. Pull that cap off and count clicks. But yeah, let’s ban stuff to ban stuff. That’s cool

#banhorses

Yes but I don’t see it feasible to take your common scope out to 400 plus yards without a turret that’s made to be spun
Haha we talking BB gun scopes here or what? ? Every scope turret is made to be spun. If it tracks it tracks. Pull the cap off and dial whatever the MOA or Mil elevation correction is needed. Make a wind call and shoot.

Last edited:
1-Click is still 1/4” at 100 yards. Pull that cap off and count clicks. But yeah, let’s ban stuff to ban stuff. That’s cool

#banhorses
Yeah I guess I’m wrong, I’m used to using a old leupold that doesn’t have 1/4 in adjustments, just take a penny and turn the screw till it’s sighted in. I always thought there was a difference between a scope with capped turrets and ones with exposed turrets.

My point was simple.

Guys will say "LR is hurting hunting".

Ok, so how do you stop that?

"Modern muzzies" are hurting

Ok, how do you stop that?

Its one thing to *****. It's quite another to try and limit something we find has pushed the limits, without intruding into areas we shouldn't.

That's why I said 1 thing.

It's not as easy as you think if you are keeping in mind, that at the end of the day, we kill stuff, or at least that's the goal.

So, if you had the ear of the powers that be, name one thing.

This is just on the subject of tech. Other subjects, other threads can and have been made

How did you zero it? Petty sure there a dial on the top and the side, I’m even if, for whatever reason, you hunt with a fixed scope
You are correct but as I stated I can not adjust this in the field when I spot an animal. All my hunting rifles are sighted in before I go hunt. My goal is to get within 200 yards of game, it’s not as hard to do as some think.

You are correct but as I stated I can not adjust this in the field when I spot an animal. All my hunting rifles are sighted in before I go hunt. My goal is to get within 200 yards of game, it’s not as hard to do as some think.
Well you could. If you can adjust it at all why couldn’t you in the field? That’s what I was getting at. Guy says ban adjustable scopes. Well that’s all of them. If that’s really what one thinks I guess great. But don’t think that stance doesn’t apply to your grandpas weaver on the ole 30-06 because it does. You don’t need a nightforce with mondo turrets to dial for moa

Well you could. If you can adjust it at all why couldn’t you in the field? That’s what I was getting at. Guy says ban adjustable scopes. Well that’s all of them. If that’s really what one thinks I guess great. But don’t think that stance doesn’t apply to your grandpas weaver on the ole 30-06 because it does. You don’t need a nightforce with mondo turrets to dial for moa
Well, hunting in New Mexico our Deer, Elk, Oryx, Bear, Mountain Lion, Ibex, Bighorn and so on don’t stand still long enough and won’t run into camp and surrender so you have enough time to remove those caps, grab a screw driver or dime out of your pocket to dial in your estimated distance to them. That’s why I kill them as close as I can.

Oh course. But I was responding to ban adjustable scopes. That’d be your fixed 6 power too
Banning is a left wing liberal thing to do. Lefties also justify banning by saying it’s best for society. I’m torn on this issue. It’s why we have laws. If it’s legal use it if you want.

Banning is a left wing liberal thing to do. Lefties also justify banning by saying it’s best for society. I’m torn on this issue. It’s why we have laws. If it’s legal use it if you want.
I agree. Regulation for regulations sake doesn’t do a thing. Not a positive thing anyway

A good simplified list would be this. Ban trail cameras from August 1 - December 31. Leave everything else the way it is, for now. Everyone trying to equate anything else needing to be banned IN SPITE (in-line muzzleloaders, range finders, compound bows, high magnification scopes) is acting like a little cry baby.

Yeah I guess I’m wrong, I’m used to using a old leupold that doesn’t have 1/4 in adjustments, just take a penny and turn the screw till it’s sighted in. I always thought there was a difference between a scope with capped turrets and ones with exposed turrets.
Not sure how old we're talking here, but way back in the early 1970s, I was adjusting a Leupold with covered turrets by using pre-determined up/down clicks for known distances during metallic silhouette matches. It worked just fine. I used a dime, however. ;)

Last edited:

What in the hell do you think laws are?

Sorry man, but this statement is silly beyond belief?

Was it left wing liberal to ban punt guns?

Was it left wing liberal to ban shooting the last buffalo?

My GAWD some dudes are so caught up in their R or D Jersey, they aren't capable of thinking.

You can't use your .17hmr to hunt elk, is that because of a lefty?

What in the hell do you think laws are?

Sorry man, but this statement is silly beyond belief?

Was it left wing liberal to ban punt guns?

Was it left wing liberal to ban shooting the last buffalo?

My GAWD some dudes are so caught up in their R or D Jersey, they aren't capable of thinking.

You can't use your .17hmr to hunt elk, is that because of a lefty?
Lefties will attack everybody they don’t agree with also.

So are self aiming scopes and gps guided bullets.

Guess we better allow them because there are horseshoes

Perfect logic.
No I’m saying ban horses. Think about it. No more big outfit camps in the back country. Fat slobs that can’t get in there then with there off the shelf long range rifles and case of beer. You ban horses and bam! Woods just got nicer.

All the tech in the world won’t get the jimmy john’s guy on bulls after that

No I’m saying ban horses. Think about it. No more big outfit camps in the back country. Fat slobs that can’t get in there then with there off the shelf long range rifles and case of beer. You ban horses and bam! Woods just got nicer.

All the tech in the world won’t get the jimmy john’s guy on bulls after that

We had horses as a kid.

Super fun???, spent all damn winter breaking ice, for very little riding time

We had horses as a kid.

Super fun???, spent all damn winter breaking ice, for very little riding time
I just buried my last horse right before Christmas. Sad to see him gone but it’s sure going to save me some money. He was green broke and proud cut, he was nothing more than a big dog like pet.

Ok losing winter ground and predators are the main problems be it predators from us or natural. Habitat loss is the biggest problem from from fires or housing tracts. Losing small farms in the 60-70s when people just moved to big city effected deer herds. We the breeders are the problem more people more problems.

Ok losing winter ground and predators are the main problems be it predators from us or natural. Habitat loss is the biggest problem from from fires or housing tracts. Losing small farms in the 60-70s when people just moved to big city effected deer herds. We the breeders are the problem more people more problems.
Habitat loss isn't happening in rural areas like Central Utah, Richfield, Beaver, Monroe, Dutton, etc, etc.
Wasatch front, Heber area, Ogden.....those deer are doomed, developers and our politicians don't care about wildlife.
Money is ruining hunting in every aspect at every level.

Habitat loss isn't happening in rural areas like Central Utah, Richfield, Beaver, Monroe, Dutton, etc, etc.
Wasatch front, Heber area, Ogden.....those deer are doomed, developers and our politicians don't care about wildlife.
Money is ruining hunting in every aspect at every level.
How about quality of habitat? I'm pretty sure they are not equal to what was present during the "the good old days".

I would not be in favor of restricting tech on weapons at this point. Yes, there are advances in technology that have allowed some people to successfully kill game from a greater distance with a bow, muzzy, and rifle. But at this point, I just don’t think that needs to be restricted. (My mind could change, but that’s where I’m at today.)

I am totally fine with the bait ban. We don’t need to be bating big game. Period. I was torn on trail cams. I don’t mind people using regular cameras at all, but the data transmission cell cams seem utterly ridiculous to me. I wish they’d ban those entirely. But I don’t think we need to restrict regular cams at this point. Yes, people take it too far and some units have become a bit stupid for them. That’s how it goes, I guess.

As for restricting technology further on the weapons? I’m not for it. I don’t think it will help much, if at all. I don’t like a regulation just for the sake of regulating.

75 years of Smoky the Bear destroyed a bunch of habitat....
I hunt deer in the Capitan Mountains where they found Smokey. He’s even buried there in the town of Capitan. If you get up in elevation the town of Lincoln where Billy the Kid broke out of jail can be seen from where I’ve killed several deer, then we’ve got Roswell and the Space Aliens, and that town can also be seen at night from the area I hunt even though it’s 50 miles away. The crash site is on the North side of Capitan near Boy Scout Mountain. I have to drive right through a WWII Japanese Internment camp that Border Patrol Agents guarded at that time to get to deer camp, and just a little north of me is Ft. Stanton where they interned Germans during WWII and is also home to the Merchant Marine and Military Cemetery which holds four German POW graves. This area is rich in history.

I hunt deer in the Capitan Mountains where they found Smokey. He’s even buried there in the town of Capitan. If you get up in elevation the town of Lincoln where Billy the Kid broke out of jail can be seen from where I’ve killed several deer, then we’ve got Roswell and the Space Aliens, and that town can also be seen at night from the area I hunt even though it’s 50 miles away. The crash site is on the North side of Capitan near Boy Scout Mountain. I have to drive right through a WWII Japanese Internment camp that Border Patrol Agents guarded at that time to get to deer camp, and just a little north of me is Ft. Stanton where they interned Germans during WWII and is also home to the Merchant Marine and Military Cemetery which holds four German POW graves. This area is rich in history.
so....what's your point??

All of this banning and regulating is promoted in order to reduce the success rates so that we can (1-Increase the big game populations, 2-provide for more tags, 3-increase the quality, and 4-slow down point creep. But the key is to reduce rising success rates! WHAT RISING SUCCESS RATES?????

I'm primarily an archery hunter and have been for 60 years and I've seen about every gadget you could possibly put on a bow to make faster, quieter, easier to draw, handle, aim, and release. I've seen compound bows hit the market, aluminum arrows, fiberglass arrows. expandable broadheads, trigger releases, single cam bows, modern stronger string materials, overdraws, sunlight activated sights, string dampeners, high tech limbs and risers, full-capture and drop away arrow rests, and vanes. All of this was designed to increase your chances of shooting deer/elk/moose, etc. And for some individuals it may have, BUT for the overall number of bowhunters it did not! Same for the rifle hunters. The muzzy rates did rise, but not by as much as we think. Ban or regulate all you want, but 10-20 years from now the rates will be close to the rates today. And the deer populations will likely keep dropping. Tech isn't the problem and banning or regulating it isn't the answer!

PS. Here's a challenge I made on another forum. From the Archery list tell us when compound bows hit the market. They were said to be the end of archery hunting as we know it.

Attachments

• Yearly Archery Deer %.pdf
    71.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Yearly AW Deer %.pdf
    83.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Yearly Muzzy Deer %.pdf
    71.1 KB · Views: 76
Oh course. But I was responding to ban adjustable scopes. That’d be your fixed 6 power too
You know what we mean! If you want to shoot long range. You ain’t going to try to adjust with a dime a quarter inch at a time. Are you?

How do you think it was done before todays turrets? It’s all the same guys. Don’t know if you just don’t understand that. 1/4 moa is 1/4 moa and the drop calculations are what they are. Ban adjustable scopes for the ends your looking for with “long range” and you ban all scopes. All there is to it. I guess try again on your regulation dreams?

Forgive me but don’t Right wing conservatives want to ban:

abortion
marijuana
gay marriage
trans kids in sports
books in libraries they don’t agree with
hard alcohol in normal stores

because it’s best for society in their eyes. I’m no left wing nut but I’m also not a fan of disingenuous bullshit either. R or D, same **** different piles

Forgive me but don’t Right wing conservatives want to ban:

abortion
marijuana
gay marriage
trans kids in sports
books in libraries they don’t agree with
hard alcohol in normal stores

because it’s best for society in their eyes. I’m no left wing nut but I’m also not a fan of disingenuous bullshit either. R or D, same **** different piles
Yes the right wing wants to stop babies from being murdered.
Marijuana is still illegal, some right wing folks smoke it. Many States are legalizing it at the peril of their citizens just for the money it brings in.
I believe the Right has evolved on gay marriage, it’s legal. Just like the left has evolved on slavery.
The right wants boys to compete with boys, girls to compete with girls and trans to compete with trans.
I’m not aware of any books being banned other than Trumps and those authors who support him.
You can get any alcohol you want 24/7 in the vast majority of places. Mothers Against Drunk Driving want it banned. When the vast majority of Conservatives don’t like something on television they change the channel. Liberals don’t like something on television they call for it to be banned. I have yet to see a liberal speaker on a college campus get shouted down to the point they had to leave before they even started. This happens frequently to Conservative speakers. Conservatives see the world the way it is, liberals see the world the way they want it to be…

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom