SIP panel

1989Cohunter

Very Active Member
Anyone have experience repairing? Just demoed all of our stucco, and now have to fix a fair few SIPs panels.

I Can See The Super R Value With Them!

But They Ain't As Strong!

No Idea On Repairing Them!

Maybe Post a Pic Or Two & Maybe Somebody Like Hossy Can CHIME In!

Are you saying the sheathing part of the sip is damaged from stucco being attached to it? Is it water rotted or just beat up?

Depends on how much sheathing is damaged. Probably gonna need to add framing where you need it to fasten the ply back on.

I guess, never really done it. Not flying it to the moon though, can’t be that hard..

I had to look it up to see what a SIP panel is. :cool:

Way back in 2005 when I added a family room, I used 2x6s to frame the west wall that gets the direct, late afternoon sun. I insulated it with R-19 batts on the inside under the sheetrock, & on the outside I added 4'x8' sheets of 2" high-density foam, which was then covered with OSB for the stucco base. My own sorta mini version of a SIP without the 'structural' aspect. :rolleyes:

I can see where trying to repair the real SIPs without any framing might prove difficult, however. Because the outer sheeting is glued to the foam, just cutting deep enough to remove a part of the OSB would still tear up the foam. Depending on how damaged the outer layer is, maybe just covering the entire wall(s) with another layer of OSB would work to provide a sound base for new stucco.

I had to look it up to see what a SIP panel is. :cool:

Way back in 2005 when I added a family room, I used 2x6s to frame the west wall that gets the direct, late afternoon sun. I insulated it with R-19 batts on the inside under the sheetrock, & on the outside I added 4'x8' sheets of 2" high-density foam, which was then covered with OSB for the stucco base. My own sorta mini version of a SIP without the 'structural' aspect. :rolleyes:

I can see where trying to repair the real SIPs without any framing might prove difficult, however. Because the outer sheeting is glued to the foam, just cutting deep enough to remove a part of the OSB would still tear up the foam. Depending on how damaged the outer layer is, maybe just covering the entire wall(s) with another layer of OSB would work to provide a sound base for new stucco.
Just do like I did. Have another SIP of wine and move along.

Just razzin you ODW. :ROFLMAO:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom