sitka vs rivers west

O

olystorageland

Both pricey-looking at rain gear. sitka downpour series looks good. Need a good set and these 2 brands look to be the top. anybody have experience with either and what would you choose?

Sitka has less experience (I think this is year 2 or 3) but need to know what works best-dont need much warmth from rain gear just dry

Was in Washington last year elk hunting and it rained for 6 straight days-did not stop once-downpours-we actually got evacuated by forest service because roads where washing out everywhere,trees falling and I was soaked-i had "waterproof" cabelas, mad dog, sportsmans brand gear and a filson jacket nothing worked, any help of tips

I have the Rivers West pants, coat and hat and the only bad thing I can say about their gear is it's to HOT. It has to be pretty cold to wear this stuff, but it will keep you warm and dry at least mine has so far. I went on a little hunt localy where I live and it was snowing and cold so I put on the coat and pants. I almost died it was so hot, I bet I lost 8lbs through sweat.

I would highly recommend this product and would buy it again.

Good luck

Slide

Rivers West would be perfect (even durable), were it not quite warm. However, they now make a couple of weights. That stuff is REAL good. They're proud of it, pricewise, but's it's worth it, when it's wet or cold.

My Rivers West pants and jacket are the toughest, most waterproof rain gear I have ever owned. They are warm tho, and I have to always have the vents open to get some relief. I don't know how anyone could wear the parka weight - I think the Ambush jacket is perfect. Like the fact the hood is removable with just snaps. The back of the jacket is slightly longer so you can sit on wet ground or snow without soaking your butt too.

For light walking, or sitting in a downpour they can't be beat. Sportsman's has a pretty good selection of various styles, and the camo patterns will fit into lots of terrain.

The Downpour Series by Sitka Gear is awesome for active hunting in wet weather. They are very breathable and made with the same stretch properties as the rest of the Sitka Gear line. They are rated to withstand 30 feet of rain in a 24 hour period (most clothing is rated in inches per day) and are guaranteed to never leak a drop of water! The biggest benefit though is that you don't sweat to death while wearing them as they breathe incredibly well.

Corey

The Rivers West is great but like everyone else mentioned incredibly HOT. I am a cool weather person so I cannot wear the Rivers West until it is at least freezing or colder. I also think it is very heavy in weight compared to other stuff.

This may sound rediculous but is all the hi-tech, ultra-expensive clothing really worth it? I have always just layered my clothing and have been comfortable. I am not afraid to spend the cash on quality clothing if is going to improve my hunting experience or not make me look like the michelin man during cold conditions though. What are your thoughts?

Without a doubt the Sitka gear is awesome! It is light weight and packs pretty tight. The down fall is you are talking about close to $500.00 for rain gear. If money is not an option ,I do not think you can go wrong with Sitka. As far as Rivers West you have a product that is cheaper(cost), probably a little more versatile for colder weather, but much more bulkier and way hotter as all here can a test for. For the money and of course the only true 100% waterproof rain gear is a cheap pair of vinyl rain gear. The problem there is noise.
Good Luck and Good Hunting!
Bill

I have the rivers west pants and jacket. I love them both, I pack them around on the bottom of my pack and when it rains or snows I just pull them off. They Work awesome and I love how the pants unzip to fit over your boots. Definitely my favorite.

bowhunter3

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-07 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-07 AT 12:13?PM (MST)

I find both types of my rivers west too hot and end up feeling like I have a wet suit on...maybe ok for cold climates but I find myself using it less and less often. Also the zipper on the jacket is cheap and unreliable even when I'm careful to fit the tab fully in the slot. I have not tried the sitka products.

anyone who has used any of the sitka gear, PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! im wanting to get sitka gear but really want to hear from more guys about how they like/dont like it. thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-07 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]Have a few of the Sitka pieces but none of their baselayers or rain gear : cap , fairly water resistant , dries super fast , good value ; toque , keeps ears warm , also good value ;mtn pants , very light weight , dries super fast , has some stretch ; 90 percent jacket , good wind breaker , repels light rain , dries reasonably quick , too warm to hike in but good to have in your pack ,;mtn shirt , stretches , blocks some wind , repels some moisture , drying time is a little longer then pants so if sweating heavy in cooler weather make sure u wear a baselayer , i use a stretch capilene underneath it,;vest , a must have item , blocks some wind , very warm for the weight , usually just use it over the mtn shirt for most hunting conditions,;final thoughts , its now my go to gear , i also own microtex and 3sp(sporthill) but they dont get used much anymore.

thank you redmtn! that is the kind of info i am wanting. i really have liked the microtex also, but am really wanting to try all of the sitka gear, especially the 90% coat, mt shirt and pants, and the downpour top and bottom. hoping to get more convinced before spending $1,400 bucks on huning clothes!

drannan, I'll tell you right now that the sitka gear has been the best clothing I've used for hunting period!! On my mule deer hunt this year in Co. I used the mountain pants and shirt with the 90% jacket and pants and was shocked at the performance! I'm nothing nice on camo, and I'm very much a ground pounder so I need somehting that is light and will keep the moisture off me. It did it all plus kept me warm with the weather in the mornings well below freezing! Even though the weather got warm, which sucked, I still was comfortable, even keeping the 90% jacket and pants on. The moth wing como does a great job in blending in, its an all around pattern great for weatern hunting.
Like I said Sitka has put all my other hunting clothing in storage! The cost, well what do you want? Me, performance and light weight and the means to keep you warm and be able to hunt hard comfortably is well worth the price I paid. Hope this helped out. 280rem

Thank you 280rem, thats exactly what I want to hear! I am willing to buy the best, because you get what you pay for.....I just wish I could field test it first, so I want to hear other peoples "field testing."

I keep hearing that rivers west is deffinatly waterproof, but too hot to actually hunt in.

280rem, do you think that getting base layers, then mountain bottoms and top, then 90% top and bottom, then downpour top and bottom is too much??? Would that be too hot? (obviously I would only do that glassin in the rain.) I think 4 layers (if you wore the downpour also) would be a lot. I'm wondering if I should skip buying a layer, and if so skip the base layer........I guess I'll buy them all and switch between the 90% and the downpour depending on how much it's raining.

Thanks for your time. We are probably going into wyoming again and we barely take anything! I want to take as little as possible but be warm and dry! I think sitka is the answer.

Drannan

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"

drannan, What's to much? To have it all and a piece of mind that your gonna be ready for what could be dished out to you!!
I haven't got the base layers yet because I've got tons of underamour that works very good, but sitka's base layer is on the list along with the downpour! I use a light weight goretex rain jacket and pants that will stuff in my day pack. I'm all about light weight and being highly mobile. I will have just about every piece of sitka gear they have by next years hunt.
One thing about the 90%, it's light enough to shed it and store it in your day pack. I wore it all day even when it got a little warm, moisture sucked right to the top and I mean right to the top to where you could wipe your sleeve with your hand and get wet. I can't tell you just how comfortable this gear is to hump up and down those mt's in. You need to find out for yourself. There's not much out there that I have used that breaths and is as light as sitka and still keep you warm. This is truly an all around great camo gear. Do it, try it out, you will not regret it. 280rem

Thats what I wanted, Im convinced! I found them the cheapest on SageCreekOutfitter.com (I think that was it.) Looked like the whole set was about $300 dollars cheaper then from Cabelas or anywhere else. I cant wait to try them out! Thanks again for giving your opinion.

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"

If your walking up and down the hills, rivers west is not what you want, it is way to hot and you will sweat to much and lose some energy (i have learned the hard way with rivers west gear). My rivers west is used only for those cold late hunts with windy conditions. I can't wait to try sitka gear. I think I will have to buy some soon as they are getting popular and eventually the price will start to climb, just like revers west has done the last few years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom