Slick Tricks for Elk....

Ozzman

I am wanting to try some slick tricks this year on my elk hunt, and am curious to know if anyone has had any issues with them in the past?

What I would really like to know is how good your blood trail was with this blade? Last year I shot an elk with the broad head I was using (one of the more popular fixed blades I wont name names, double lung pass through) and had very little blood to follow. What little blood we had got washed out by a rainstorm while we were slowly following it, and unfortunately ended up tagging out on an animal that I didn't find quickly enough.

I am not looking to start a broad head debate here, just wanting feedback on this particular head for this particular purpose.

If you need more info from me let me know...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-11 AT 07:40AM (MST)[p]If you hit them right, they WILL die with or with out a Slick Trick. I think poor blood trails can happen with any broadhead. I also think poor blood trails can sometimes happen from well placed arrows as well, no matter the BH.

Although I have had very good success with my mag Slick Tricks. Blood trails on the couple of elk I have shot with them have been great to massive trails. None of them made it farther than 60 yards, but all were hit with well placed arrows too. All but one have been complete pass threw with my Slick Tricks. The one that did not pass threw was a cow and I hit her angling away, and the head stopped in the opposite shoulder, breaking the shoulder.
I think Slick Tricks are very tough, and are a great choice for elk.

So far, my favorite broad head. Two pass throughs and both elk had great blood trails. Both broadheads look like they were never used and are ready for this yer. As blazing saddle said, poorly placed arrows with any broad head might make a poor blood trail.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-11 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-11 AT 05:28?PM (MST)

I have taken two elk with Slick Tricks.
The first was a full broadside pass-through from 18 yds. Bull ran a little over 100 yds and died. Left good blood for about the first fifty yds, then virtually none for the last fifty. Was starting to worry before I found him.

The second was a quartering away shot at about 25 yds. Again, full pass through. Bull ran about 50-60 yds and died in front of me. Very little blood trail!

I've tracked (bow shot) elk that left buckets of blood that were never found, and elk that didn't bleed much but were hit right & found within 100 yds or less.

Select a good, strong, FIXED BLADE head, tune your bow to shoot them well, and hit the animal where your supposed to.

There are many good broadheads to choose from. (SlickTricks, Muzzy, ShuttleT, WacEm's, , , , etc.) Find one you like and don't worry so much about the blood trail cuz that is, in my experiance, impossible to control.

I LIKE SLICKTRICKS!

P.S.
No matter what you read on other threads, or how far out there you've practiced, please don't take (hunting) shots beyond 50-60 yds with any broadhead!

P.S.S.
I would bet that the guides & outfitters on here would be the best source of info on what broadheads give the best results!?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom