Small Missile Range Question

PJHntr

I get to tag along on an oryx hunt this weekend for my sister and was wondering about the oryx numbers on the small missile range. I've heard that the numbers have been reduced by a lot there and it may not be a once in a lifetime hunt anymore.

Do we really need to smoke the first oryx we see or can we be a littl picky? I've only been on stalion a couple times and there's no shortage of them there.

Thanks in advance.

We'll see you there!!! Good luck to your sister. I'm sure it's not going to be as easy as years past, but I told my son not to shoot until he see's one he will be happy with. Of course, he'll just be looking for a nice representative of the species.

PJHNTR

good luck! know nothing abt small missle! only on stallion or Rhodes!

I am sure u guys ll be fine! give my good luck to ur sister!

vinihunt

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-08 AT 08:10PM (MST)[p]hunted down there last year with a friend and his son. The numbers are definatly down from years past but we seen quite a few animals would have had a chance at 8-10 different animals the first day but the boy had a broken horn hunt. So with that said you can be a little picky but not too picky if you seen a nice 36" with out being broke you better be shooting. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I will tell you what happened last year on the Jan. SMR hunt. There were 70 total hunters this includes the Veteran Tag holders and the Broke Horn Hunters.
Saturday 33 Oryx Killed
Sunday 10 Oryx Killed

Got some wind on the Sunday, and with the numbers so much lower out there to begin with it got crazy hard. I wouldn't say kill the first one you see, but my advice is to not be very picky either. Stop in Friday and talk and maybe I can give you a few pointers on what I have seen work for hunters in the past.

There is a reason they are thinking of making this NOT a Once in a Lifetime Hunt and its long time coming in my opinion

Jordan

The recommendation on the NMGF website is to KEEP it Once-in-a-lifetime, but lower the number of tags per hunt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom