Snakes while hunting

I've encountered Rattlesnakes while buck hunting in Northern California in Aug.& Sept. but only singles, never a mob like that.

Crawled back in a Crevice on Dutton to see if there were any 380" Bulls Hiding back in there & Lit it up!

Thanks to an MM Member & My Silver 3-5-7 there's couple less Snakes on Dutton!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-14 AT 01:12PM (MST)[p]I've run into two rattle snakes while hunting, but nothing like that! One while hunting turkey, the other bow hunting deer. This is the one I ran into turkey hunting.
9382snake.jpg

WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT THEM..........THEY WILL STARTLE YOU. JUST WEAR KEVLAR LEGGINGS OR THE LIKE. SEPTEMBER LOPE & DEER HUNTS, SPRING TURKEY HUNTS, EARLY ELK HUNTS, WATCH WHERE YOU PUT YOUR HANDS. THE BITE CAN DO MAJOR DAMAGE TO FLESH.............................YD.

I came across a 3' great basin gopher snake in Montana a few years back. As I was glassing a hillside, I felt something hitting my lower pants and hearing hissing sounds. The gopher snake was mimicking a rattle snake.
I was surprised to see a snake since it was November, some snow on the ground, and just plain cold.
I put the snake under my jacket and kept hunting for awhile.
The snake was still in my jacket when I returned to the truck and decided to surprise my two hunting partners.
As we were driving back to the cabin, the snake crawled out from under my jacket near my neck. They jumped so high I thought they hit their heads on the roof of the truck.
The rest of the trip they kept saying how I have some "serious" issues. It was a good laugh.

I've ran into rattlesnakes while deer hunting here in CA. i wear snake chaps that go up to your knee just to be safe.

Goat

I had a hunting partner back in the day who would just as soon hunt rattlesnakes as bucks here in California. He would check every rocky outcropping he could find. He probably found 4 or 5 dens that I remember. He always carried a big fish hook that he would tie to a stick. He would hook them and drag them out into the open and dispatch them. Creeped me out.

Back in the 1970's I lived near Don Pedro Reservoir. It was pretty new and was still filling up for the first time. Famous rattlesnake country. As the water level rose, snakes were forced to head for higher ground, which concentrated the snakes at water's edge.

I remember reading in our local paper, about a guy who went fishing alone on Don Pedro and failed to return that night. His wife called the local sheriff and they found him the next day. He was laying face down in the water and they later counted 32 separate rattlesnake bites on his body.

Eel

There's an area on Flaming Gorge Reservoir that has the same thing happen when the lake fills up. It hasn't filled up in many years, so I haven't seen it happen for quite awhile. My favorite smallmouth spot on the lake! One summer, I encountered at least one every time I went fishing there. Some days I ran into 5-6 or more. They are called the pygmy faded rattler( or some such thing), and don't get big. A 2-footer is a big one.

When I was younger while working on a pipeline crew, the ditch machine dug up a den in Oklahoma. There must have been 50 rattlers all tied together in a knot( late winter). It was quite a sight. They couldn't move fast because of the cold. Very strange sight. For the rest of that job, everyone was constantly on the lookout.:)

I've had two quality encounters, one as a pup, 12 or 13. Hunting doves over water west of Nephi. Dropped a bird and reached down to pick it up, was within a foot no rattle or anything till I saw the snake move. After I cleaned my pants he got a dose of lead.

Second time was one night after work a few buddies ran up on the front. Parked the truck and went to step out. Right under the door was one about two feet long and thick as hell. My foot hit the ground and my fat ass went about 3 feet straight up. Turned around and looked back at it. Turns out somebody had killed it up on the hill, took the rattle and left the corpse at the trailhead.

If you hunt the Wasatch Front you know where to be on your toes, Millcreek is full of them bastards.

Be interested to hear Lumpy talk about the snakes by the old fish hatchery near Venice
or the creek near Monroe.

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

ROOKIES!

I see more Snakes than that in one outing!

And it's against the Law in TARDville now to Harm/Hurt/Kill them so I just let them be!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

elk, assassin . you know the only good snake is a dead snake,,,,,, how was the turkey banquet???

>ROOKIES!
>
>I see more Snakes than that
>in one outing!

Bess, I don't want to hear about your escapades to the clubhouse!

I don't like snakes!! Not at all.
I've seen a few while hunting. During archery hunts.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I seen on about a foot lone with one rattle on a muzzleloader hunt, yes I gave that thing a does of lead. I don't care about killing them being illegal, because the thing was right at camp and we had two little kids with us on the hunt.

I would rather run into a hungry grizzly bear with cubs then come across a rattlesnake! I got 20 seconds into the video before i fainted!

PU$$IES!

Hey elkun!

Turkey Banquet was Good!

I just couldn't afford/Bid that High!

Book Cliffs Elk Tag went for 15K!

Near 7K for the Diamond Buck Tag!

All in All A good Turnout and there was a lot of Decent Prizes & lots of Donations made by the Basin Locals!

Thanks to everybody putting the Banquet on,lots of work for a Great Cause!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-14 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]Here's some pics from Utah somebody sent me from a Mothers day outing a few year's back.

6084mothers_day_08_001.jpg

9518mothers_day_08_002.jpg

7003mothers_day_08_003.jpg

2860mothers_day_08_004.jpg

6965mothers_day_08_005.jpg

I HATE SNAKES!!!!!

Biggest one I ever ran into was a big diamondback down in south Texas---64" long without his head and had 13 rattles!

The Biggest ones I've seen were right on the TEXAS/NEW MEXICO Border!

They'd make you not even afraid of our PISSCUTTERS here in Utah!

Roy, New Mexico October of 1969> We were coming in for lunch. Shot him once, the bullet entered, exited entered again and exited a second time.

Out the second hole popped a jack rabbit.

There was another 2' of him on the ground.

ImportedPhotos00311.jpg

Ive encountered a couple while hunting. I killed them, will continue to do so if I see anymore. I dont know if I could hate anything more than I hate rattlesnakes. I have walked right past gophersnakes, but rattlers have to go

Been twice i almost have been bit by a rattle snake while hunting. Once shed hunting I walked around a tree heard a rattler from like two feet away and I didnt realize how fast i could jump side ways. I looked down as I sprung sideways and the snake was striking at my leg. I was at least a half mile from the 4 wheeler and 50 miles from town, no phone service etc. Could have been quite the adventure. It was crazy! Second time I was archery hunting and I was walking through some oak brush and heard a rattle right as i almost stepped on it I froze in place and had I not froze id have stepped right on the rattler. Been other close calls but those were the closest to being bite.

>I came across a 3' great
>basin gopher snake in Montana
>a few years back.
>As I was glassing a
>hillside, I felt something hitting
>my lower pants and hearing
>hissing sounds. The gopher
>snake was mimicking a rattle
>snake.
>I was surprised to see a
>snake since it was November,
>some snow on the ground,
>and just plain cold.
>I put the snake under my
>jacket and kept hunting for
>awhile.
>The snake was still in my
>jacket when I returned to
>the truck and decided to
>surprise my two hunting partners.
>
>As we were driving back to
>the cabin, the snake crawled
>out from under my jacket
>near my neck. They
>jumped so high I thought
>they hit their heads on
>the roof of the truck.
>
>The rest of the trip they
>kept saying how I have
>some "serious" issues. It
>was a good laugh.

I agree with your friends. But that is pretty funny.

I have a walk that I used to love to go on when I was a kid. Its about 3 1/2 miles of some of the best mule deer country in the unit. In that hike I usually see 1 snake, in September bow hunt, not a big deal, but a few years or 5 I killed six in the one hike all in tall grass.

Now I save that hike for the October rifle season and carry a torus Judge with a 410 shell for them.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-14 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]I have been within 10 feet of rattlesnakes in OR, AZ, NM and WY. NM was the one that scared me since I was just a few steps into a swath of waist high sage when the buzzing began and could not tell which way to hop. I hopped and leaped back out of the sage and then heard nothing. Wondered if was just the wind. Picked up a chunk of rock and tossed where I had been and the buzzing started up again.

My father in law grew up building roads through Montana and one spring they cut into a den of rattlers while doing some dozer work. The snakes were moving slow so they made a circular berm and poured a barrel of diesel out then lit it. He said knowing what he does now about snakes he felt bad but at the time was all instinctual.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-14
>AT 08:44?PM (MST)

>
>I have been within 10 feet
>of rattlesnakes in OR, AZ,
>NM and WY. NM was
>the one that scared me
>since I was just a
>few steps into a swath
>of waist high sage when
>the buzzing began and could
>not tell which way to
>hop. I hopped and leaped
>back out of the sage
>and then heard nothing. Wondered
>if was just the wind.
>Picked up a chunk of
>rock and tossed where I
>had been and the buzzing
>started up again.
>
>My father in law grew up
>building roads through Montana and
>one spring they cut into
>a den of rattlers while
>doing some dozer work. The
>snakes were moving slow so
>they made a circular berm
>and poured a barrel of
>diesel out then lit it.
>He said knowing what he
>does now about snakes he
>felt bad but at the
>time was all instinctual.

Very,Very Un-Ethical Right there!

WTH...ethics...and BCB in the same sentence. What is the world coming to? ;)

BTW where on the TX/NM border did you see the snakes?

I'm sure most of us have bumped into a rattler or two over the years. Arizona has 13 different species (most in the U.S.). The last 2 that got my attention (speckled rattlesnakes) was one d-a-r-k night this past September as I changed out my SD card on a trail cam at a water catchment. Prettiest rattlers I've seen, but got me to set a new record for jumping! One 30" away, the other 3 ft. (diff. routes going to and from my camera, just 10 mins. apart).

Here's a daytime pic:

6167rattlesnake_-_arizona_speckled.jpg

Believe me, I wouldn't be upset if I n-e-v-er stumbled onto an active rattlesnake den ...

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

>WTH...ethics...and BCB in the same sentence.
>What is the world coming
>to? ;)
>
>BTW where on the TX/NM border
>did you see the snakes?
>

Hey feddoc!

Just trying to STIRR Outdoors a little!

It usually doesn't take much!:D

San Jon be the Place!

Some B&C Rattlers in that area!:D

>>WTH...ethics...and BCB in the same sentence.
>>What is the world coming
>>to? ;)
>>
>>BTW where on the TX/NM border
>>did you see the snakes?
>>
>
>Hey feddoc!
>
>Just trying to STIRR Outdoors a
>little!
>
>It usually doesn't take much!:D
>
>San Jon be the Place!
>
>Some B&C Rattlers in that area!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red
>Hot Barrel & My Dead
>Cold Hands I Shall go
>down Fighting for American Pride
>& Rights!
>I Know I'm Out Numbered by
>Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll
>Throw Their Hands in the
>air & I know I
>can't Lick the U.S. Military
>by Myself when they Turn
>on us but I'll make
>
>you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a
>Situation where I Hope to
>Hell All Americans become True
>Americans once again & Stand
>up for their Rights!

I lived just south of San Jon for a few years in the 60s. Yea, there are some crawlers.

I can for sure tell you that a paintball gun can and will kill them, I jumped/slide into a bush and their was 2 Big Pacific Diamondbacks under that bush with me and I just knew I was going to get hit in the face mask. I pull the trigger and hit both in the head and they was dead right now, I was a Lucky SOB that day "46 and 52" 13 rattles and 9 rattles. We saw several other snakes that day up in that canyon we Never did played in there again. We call that canyon Rattlesnake Canyon now.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Sept MT badlands there is no shortage of Ratlers.

Last Sept I came across an old guy camped at a reservoir. Cooking supper on the coleman. I thought he was cooking fish, then I saw the snake skins. :eek:
I got all the info I need, I maybe? will give it a try, someday?

We grew up around rattlers, been dealing with them most of my adult life. The places we shoot ground squirrels at distance, can be good for a few a day. I once had a dressed buck on my back, coming down a steep hill and stepped right on one. Most of the time, we see them and no big deal. Sometimes though, there have been close calls and i can only wonder why i never got bitten thru the years.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Some nasty snakes on this thread. I have come across 5 rattlers while out hunting, almost stepped on 3 of them but either heard or saw them at the last second. I would have run the other way if I came across the snake den in that video...

Tried Tellin you Guys there was some Big Bastards in New Mexico!

Numerous rattler encounters during early chukar season, worry about the dogs all the time. Most get blasted to protect the dogs.

Best/stupidest story. I was archery hunting, August, NE Kali. Son and I in the back of the truck, wife and daughter in front. I see the snake and tell my 5 year old son to shoot it with his Daisy Red Rider BB gun. He shoots several times. Missing and hitting, but not really having any effect. Snake is coiled 10 feet away under a small rock rim. I take the BB gun and shoot it in the head 4-5 tmes. I tell my son how easy it is, the snake strikes at the BB and you can't miss.

I get out of the truck, cut off the rattles and hold the snake up for a picture. I throw it down in the middle of the road and get back in the truck. My daughter says, "Look daddy, the snake is leaving." The damn thing was crawling off. I never mess with them now. It's a firearm or nothing.

STUPID!!!!

We were turkey hunting in Northern CA today. It is unseasonably hot for this time of year with near record temps. We got back to camp to pack up my cousin starts yelling "rattlesnake"!! My buddy and I run over and the snake had just crawled into a squirrel hole. I can see him looking out so I put four rounds in him from my 17. I look up and ten feet away is another snake coiled up just looking at us. My buddy blows his head off with a 20GA turkey load. Neither snake rattled and they had almost a greenish appearance. Not sure if it is a den area or they were just hunting in the squirrel holes. Too close to camp for comfort...

Horniac

5838image.jpg

5737image.jpg

WW, sorry I missed your post. Actually, I hate snakes, any and all, I don't discriminate, just hate anything to do with any of those nasty buggers.

I've dealt with a dozen or so, here in Sevier Valley, but had more trouble in Black Canyon on the Dutton that any where I've ever been. Seems to be more there per acre there than any where I've been.

The rattlesnake magnet in out clan is Muley73. He tried to set on one when he was a kid up here by the Glenwood Hatchery. He just can't seem to avoid them, maybe someone besides y'all is trying to put a whipping on him.

I used to kill them on sight, now I just take a picture or two and leave'em be. Nothing to do with the law, anymore I just don't see the need to kill them unless there in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Never had a close encounter with any that didn't buzz to let me know I was getting to close but I've heard enough other folks say they have. I'm nervous as heck when I'm working a stream where the banks and brush are close too my face and the water noise is too loud to hear. Just not a smart place to be when the temps are high. Makes me queer to even think about it.

DC

>Those are some
> big buzzworms.
>What part of the
> state are those from?

PCPython.. Southeast part .. some big dens of Western Diamonds exist in many good Mule deer areas and are active April till the end of October when they begin to den-up. You will run into Prairies on a regular basis in September in just about any desert type terrain..

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I had an elk tag in the Gila a couple of years ago and had been warned by several guys I talked to prior to the hunt to keep an eye out for them in that country. Luckily I didn't come across any of the darn things. I have probably dealt with close to 120 of them over the past 30 years but have only came across five or six while out hunting. And nothing even close to those monsters you posted.

>We were turkey hunting in Northern
>CA today. It is unseasonably
>hot for this time of
>year with near record temps.
>We got back to camp
>to pack up my cousin
>starts yelling "rattlesnake"!! My buddy
>and I run over and
>the snake had just crawled
>into a squirrel hole. I
>can see him looking out
>so I put four rounds
>in him from my 17.
>I look up and ten
>feet away is another snake
>coiled up just looking at
>us. My buddy blows his
>head off with a 20GA
>turkey load. Neither snake rattled
>and they had almost a
>greenish appearance. Not sure if
>it is a den area
>or they were just hunting
>in the squirrel holes. Too
>close to camp for comfort...
>
>
>Horniac
>
>
5838image.jpg

>
>
5737image.jpg

Are they Legal too just Kill in KALI?:D

>Are they Legal too just Kill
>in KALI?:D

Unbelievably yes! and no license required...

Horniac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom