Snap Caps

zcheenan

I am a notorious flincher when shooting guns. I started off with a much larger caliber hunting than was needed. I haven't spent enough time shooting to overcome this yet. Does anyone have experience using snap caps? I bought some and am looking forward to test. Thoughts?

Go shooting with a range-buddy and have them ?load? the gun for you. Settle down and shoot with a gentle, even trigger press (squeeze the damn trigger).....but you won't know whether they loaded a live round or the snap cap.

It's the acid-test and excellent training.

When you're alone, load the snap cap and squeeze off several ?shots? on target before you ever live-fire.
You?ll improve quickly!
Zeke

#livelikezac

Agreed as I have the same problem...too big of gun and probably flinching a bit.
My dad made me some homemade snap caps. Just rounds w/o powder and then I squeezed some glue in the primer pocket to cushion the pin.

Set up in your living room and put a thumbtack on the wall down the hall to aim small.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I don't believe there is a single modern firearm that will damage the firing pin by dry firing anymore.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

>I don't believe there is a
>single modern firearm that will
>damage the firing pin by
>dry firing anymore.....
>
I agree about 99%, but I'm not dry firing anything of mine with a floating firing pin. Even then you might not break one, but........:)

Lots of shotgunners use snap caps for dry fire practice.

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

>You can also use a pencil
>eraser in the primer pocket
>of a homemade snap cap.
>

you are a good guy to ask.....what modern guns risk firing pin damage from dry firing???

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Well in my case I wont dry fire my 1885 low wall or my Perazzi or Ljutic. You may be right but I cringe when I see someone dry fire those kinds of guns.....;-)

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-19 AT 01:02AM (MST)[p]>>You can also use a pencil
>>eraser in the primer pocket
>>of a homemade snap cap.
>>
>
>you are a good guy to
>ask.....what modern guns risk firing
>pin damage from dry firing???
>
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Dry firing will not harm modern bolt action firearms. I'm not sure about semi auto as I don't own any but probably wouldn't harm them either. There may be some high end double rifles that could be harmed. The dry fire myth is just that. If you dry fire and break a firing pin then something wasn?t put together correctly.

the myth started in truth with rigid pin rimfires........

kinda like not putting hot stuff in the fridge till it was cooled....started back when "ice boxes" were cooled with "ice"

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom