Sneak peak

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
Here is a sneak peak at my 2011 upcoming archery hunt in January. I have been preparing for this hunt since early October and about every 3 weeks I make a trip down into this nasty canyon which takes me about an hour and a half to get down into. I know this is a Mule deer site but I am preparing for a Coue?s deer hunt and thought id share a little.

I set up a spike camp next to an Indian ruin which was one of the only flat places down there.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/610323)_tarps_over_framework.jpg

I get water from a spring and filter it using a pool hose and charcoal in a nylon stocking. I still boil the water though.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/673525)_collecting_water_for_dinner_and_coffee.jpg

Main reason for posting this right now is I bumped into some rifle hunters on my way in to set up my tree stand site. As I was talking to them one guy mentions if I knew about the marijuana growers in the area. I get a little curious and say no and they proceed to tell me about these brown tarps one of their buddy?s found and the hose they are using at the seep down there. I kind of chuckled to myself and told them it was mine. Should of seen the look on their faces. Their buddy that went down there didn't get close as he was afraid he might get shot. I guess I never thought of someone thinking in that way. I usually take the tarps down, wrap them up and stow them in a tree before I leave, but that morning I got caught in a nasty snow storm when I woke up and I just wrapped up my sleeping bag and bedroll, tied it into the top of the roof and got the heck outta there. 2 hours later I was at my quad but there was also 2 inches of fresh snow on the ground and it was a whiteout. More about that later.

One of the rifle hunters came over to me as I was tying my pack down and jokingly said he wouldn't turn me in. I laughed and said thanks. I also told them to keep their eyes peeled in the area because there was a good chance I would kick a good buck out on my way in as there is no way to keep quiet. I don't know if they did or not.

I will post the complete set up since October after my deer hunt is over. I am hoping to get video of deer and maybe the shot if I can too.

GBA

Oops, I forgot to rename my photos before posting them.

I set up a spike camp next to an Indian ruin which was one of the only flat places down there.
9503tarps.jpg

I get water from a spring and filter it using a pool hose and charcoal in a nylon stocking. I still boil the water though.
4881water.jpg

Hope this worked

GBA

Growin it Huh?

Lol!

Good Luck!

We'll be expecting more pics!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

Im really stoked up for this hunt. Last year I glassed some big bucks up everyday down in this hole but there wasn?t anyway to get to them without spooking them out of there. So I put the plan together to already be down there and set up a tree stand site.

B-Bop, I have a lot of pictures, I wish I would have gotten some of the snow but I was in a little bit of a hurry to get the heck outta there before I got snowed in down there. It is seriously steep. Less than a half mile to the spike camp that im making and it takes an hour and a half to get to it. That's all downhill. If I kill a buck it will most likely be a really good one to be worth all the effort I put into this set up and haul him up out of there.

When the hunt is over I will reverse the process to hike everything back out. I will probably recruit some of my wrestlers to help me to get it out in less trips.

GBA

Many years ago a buddy and I used to backpack into the roadless area of the Bookcliffs each year. And we would plan and make scouting trtps and set up a base camp etc. The memories of those trips and hunts are some of my very favorite and along the way we took a few good bucks out of there.

When one works so hard the pay backs are beyond imagination. I wish you well and thanks for stirring the ole fire within.

I am pulling for you. Kill a big one.

Happy New Year. BB

Man, I wish I was there with you and I guess we all will be when you are done and write up the story with pictures of that nice buck. Good luck Sir!!!

Tree stand pack in last weekend
5125fourth_trip_putting_in_tree_stand.jpg

The tree in the hole
733tree_stand.jpg

I am getting my gear around for this hunt with reservation/concern. My neighbor and his best friend which is a guide here was up in the exact spot I will be going to yesterday. They had a relative of Randy Ulmer and Randy himself on the hunt for a Coue?s. A 17 year old boy kill a minimum 100 inch buck last day of the season. More about that later.

We have had one heck of a snow storm and my neighbor who was here for our new year?s party (HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!) just got back from the hunt and told me the snow is deep and slick for quads and getting back in there was really tough. Im hoping my tarps are holding up but I am more worried I wont get to get in there to hunt. He said everyone in the hunting party was really pretty cold be the time they got the deer out. By the way, I was the one that told them there was some good bucks in ther. Im glad for the young man to take himself his first Coue?s!

I leave tomorrow morning and Im taking my camper along as a base camp. I will probably come out every other evening to change clothes, get a shower and eat a decent meal but for most nights I will spend it down in ?the Hole?. I will hunt down in there everyday until I either kill a nice buck or the morning of the 9th ?If I can get in there at all!

GBA

I spent some time discussing the hunt with my hunting partner. He lives in Sunflower Az. about the 4000 foot level. He expressed his concern and told me there had to be at least 8 inches of snow up there in the hunt area which is much higher and it had to be really cold. His concern wasn?t getting to where I parked the quad but the hike down into the steep nasty canyon with snow on it. Cant see for footing and such on my descend.

We do have the whole month to hunt but of course each week out the rut slows and grunting the big boy?s in is part of what I am banking on. I would be by myself and I don't take chances and even though I feel I am very prepared even in the cold it would make my partner and wife much happier if I pushed it out at least a week. That means getting my boss to agree to change vacation plans which I cant see why he wouldn't but there is always that possible problem.

So you hard core guy?s, after months of planning and setting up a spike camp, what would you do? I have been preparing for this hunt since early October. Go or push it out another week?? I'm really itchy to go!

GBA

No animal is worth your life pardner!!! If it's that bad getting down in there and back out and the season lasts a month, I would ask your boss if you can change your plans. If he says you can, I would watch the weather and go at what you think is the next best time to do it safely. Good luck on whatever you decide, but please play it smart and be safe!!!

TOPGUN you are right sir and I am taking your advise as well as others but I got to tell you I sit here very frustrated and anxious. I have been going through my pictures organizing them and it gets me really pumped to get in there.

A view from my tree.
5669view_from_tree.jpg

Track nexdt to my tree after the resent rain 3 days befor.
2474tracks.jpg

One more week won't make much of a difference other than having to shorten up my hunt. I have a big wrestling tournament to attend to on the 14th and 15th so I will have to come home on the evening of the 13th. I will have to see how busy I am at work during the month and maybe I can get a couple more days off but for the most part my weekends are booked. After daydreaming and preparing for so long (almost a full year) and I cant go it is just killing me! UGH!! One more week. Oh and I still haven't heard from the boss yet on the OK for vacation change.

GBA

Will say a prayer that the weather improves quickly for a safe trip and that the boss gives the goahead!!! I know it must be brutal when one part of you says let's get the heck out of Dodge and kill that good buck while the other is saying to just take your time and things will work out!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom