Sniper's Hunt

B

Bura Nut

I will be pulling for you. Like I said earlier, I will be up scouting/dinking around in unit 1, so if there is any way, I will try to get down there. Hope you kill a big one....Duwane has the Hornady President for a client this weekend, hope he smokes a +100 buck.......Allen Taylor......

Thanks Allen, I'm pulling out about midday for camp. It's only an hour from the house and I probably could hunt from here, but it helps me concentrate more on hunting when I'm camped out. Scott has the directions if you need them. Here we go!!

Scott

hey sniper if your up around HR saddle, grays peak, stray horse areas and see a little red ford ranger, stop and say hey, hope you get a good en....blade

I hope to be there tomorrow evening, Sat morning the latest. I've got a little cold, and I hope to kick it by tomorrow!

If I'm too sick, I won't go...Sniper would never forgive me if I get him sick and he can't hunt! I'll call tomorrow and let your wife know...

Scott G.

What's with the Ford Ranger crap Blade53? You always drive a MANS truck and now you are going for gas mileage? I've called your house a couple of times, turn that answering machine on.

Good luck, I'm headed out with Dad in the morning for a U1 cow hunt. If he can shoot we'll be done early.

One "other" area to try for your hunt would be the smaller of the 2 wilderness areas. Very little snow should open the upper reaches. Hiking above the 4 drag is also a great spot. I found a 105 buck in there right on the reservation line years ago.

Good luck to all. I hear the blue vehicles with USFWS stickers on the doors are really hunter helpers. Ask them for information.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Hey Ed
I still have the mans truck, but sometimes gas milage has to be addressed, catch those cows coming out of 26 bar just above wades house take that little road to the left hike across and theyll be in the saddle, when they start leaving the feilds they go in a hurry, plus amity lane is filthy with them TH spotted them this morning said there was hundreds, im hard to catch, and I thought the machine was on, ill check it, thanks for the info ill check it out, good luck on your dads hunt

You guys are chingered, there are no coues way up there in those big tall pine trees;-)! All the coues live down in the cactus and mesquites along the Mexican border! The only thing that lives way up there is elk and a few carp deer ;-)!!!
Good luck to all you 27 guys! I wish I had a tag with you guys, kill some bigguns...
Bret M

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-02 AT 06:48AM (MST)[p]Here's an update on my hunt so far. We hunted all day Friday and Saturday morning. Friday morning we (my hunting partner/boss)glassed up 4 does no bucks. Friday evening we spotted 2 does no bucks. Saturday morning we finally found some bucks, 3 of them. The biggest was a small 3x3 with good mass but weak 3rds that would score around 80 inches. My partner who is suffering terribly from a bone spur on his right heel, decided he had better take this buck or he might not have another opportunity. So we commenced to execute a text book stalk and he busted him at 375 yards. I should have some pictures by this evening that I'll post. My sons were with us and had a great time watching the play by play through the 15's and 30's. It's a shame Potatowhisperer wasn't there for the action. I heard he got lost and ended up in another hunters camp matching my description. There's always next weekend Scott.

I'm taking a break today and then heading back out on Monday. Having lots of fun and the weather has been beautiful but it looks like that might change this week. I'm praying for snow. I'll keep everyone informed.

Scott

Here's the pictures from yesterday morning. It was indeed a great day to be alive.

Scott

Craig_Coues_I.jpg

Craig_Coues_II.jpg

Great buck! I am really digging the Red Flannel! You guys aren't from Morenci are you ;-)? Bwaaahahahahaha!!!! Scott, I would love to help you out on Tuesday Wednesday but I have obligations to a guy with a 36B tag. I will let you know how it goes, If you don't tag out in the next week I can dang sure probably help you (glass for you anyways) out after Christmas....
Bret Mattausch.

Scott,
Good pics. Taking the time to pose him makes a difference. Is it my eyes, or does he appear to be corn fed with that porker-sized body?
Doug

In my limited experience, Unit 27 (White Mountain) deer are alot bigger bodied than their pygmy cousins down South. In fact, I was pretty sure a deer we chased last year was half-carp(he was just so huge) but Sniper showed me a pic of a pure coues buck that was just as big so I am not so sure any more... Unit 27 is unique, if you are in John Wayne shape and don't mind freeeeeezing your A$$ off, and seeing alot less deer than the Southern units, then you should try it once....
Bret M.

Thanks for the compliments guys. It is about to get a little cooler in unit 27, there is a storm moving in Tuesday and Wednesday so I may not go out if it's raining or snowing. I know it may be hard for some of you to believe, but this John Wayne hunter doesn't hunt during inclement weather. I figure if the Coues deer don't like to move in it then neither do I. So you're probably not missing out on anything on those days Bret. However after the storm pushes through... lookout, the bucks start acting rutty and things really pickup.

Casey, I didn't score the buck, I just guessed. But I did set up the photos to make the buck look as big as I could. I don't think he'll go much over 80 with his weak g-3s.

I'm off tomorrow to the area I saw the 110 buck with the droptine last year so I'll let everyone know what happens tomorrow night.

I'm off.

Scott

Way to go Scott!

I'll let you know if i'll be able to make it this weekend.

later

Sniper, I looked at some 27 bucks a guy named Bill Bishop in Lakeside had this past weekend. He had a toad that I cant even describe the mass, it was a typical that had to score around 115. He has a Antler shop right on the edge of town and we talked quite a bit. Thats a good buck you and the crew pulled out. Hope the weather helps a bit for you, it was gorgeous up in Greer this weekend....... Allen Taylor......

Sniper...

Sorry I couldn't make it...If you got my message, you could hear why. I had to work late and sick as a dog. I think I'm starting to get over it, hopefully I can be out this weekend. I'll keep you posted. I hate being sick...I have a chest/head cold and I'm miserable...I didn't want to get you or anyone else sick...

Glad you got one thou...great job. I wish you luck for this week and I'll elt you know if I am better by the weekend.

Scott G.

Sniper, now you see how much whining I have had to put up with PW. He gets a little cold and he cant function....LOL..... Allen.....

scott and everybody else,
my dad headed out today and with a "guide" one of our friends who is a really great hunter and he hopes to see some bucks. we saw atleast 30 deer this weekend all does and a javilna baby that had to weigh no more than 4 or 5 pounds. i dont know why he hadnt seen any bucks. it was cold at night but not to cold during the day. i dont know why we havent seen any bucks. also yesterday, the deer were not moving at all the only deer we saw we kicked out whats up with this?
casey

Ok guys I'm back from todays hunt. We saw some nice carp deer today. They are definitely doing the rut thing. On the way in we saw a nice big 3 point carp complete with harem in the headlights and we glassed up a real nice 4 point carp with his harem where we were hunting for whitetail. We saw 6 coues does and one nice Coues buck that was pushing the 100 inch mark. I found him thrashing a mountain mohogany and then watched him trail up a doe and fawn and then chase them over the hill. I have to admit I thought twice before turning down this buck, but the hunt is young and a winter storm is on the way so I thought I would wait and see what else I can find. I'll probably stay home the next two days and wait out the weather.

Pdub you missed out on a fun hunt Saturday, and I hope you're feeling better.

If the weather breaks on Thursday I may pack in with the goats for one night and hunt the high country. Don't know where I'll be hunting on Saturday yet.

Later

Scott

Casey: If they have the doe's, then the bucks will be around somewhere. Maybe right at christmas when the rut should be in full swing, the bucks will be chasing the doe's then. Sniper, I hope you find an absolute hog. This weather cant hurt your chances even though you like it a bit warmer for comfort.....lol.... Allen......

Sniper...kept me up to date...if I can shake this cough, I'll be in good shape. I'll let you know...Good luck Thursday.

Scott G...

scott, my dad came home today. they ahd seen about 50 deer today and 1 stinkin buck a lil spike. friday morning we are going to a new spot where our hunting partner has seen and shot a lot of big bucks. also, how much does that coues in that picture weigh? looks like a big bodied deer
casey

sounds like there are a few coues going down, spent most of the first weekend in the high country with little or no success, seen lots of does and 2 small bucks, a spike and a 2 point, the 2 point was a nice buck and had about 4" brow tines, had to let them go, I havent seen much rut activity in the high country but on wed i seen a small group that appeared to be some what in the rut, it snowed all day on me wed. and I ended up down around Grays peak, and was still getting snowed on, I pushed snow with the bumper of my truck heading back home to springervile that night and forwent hunting thurs morning which was probably a mistake, it was clear as a bell and cold, I just know the deer were out in force...well good luck to you all keep us posted and ill keep you all posted....Blade

hey allen, what have u been doing up in unit 1? i might be able to give u some good spots for whatever u are hunting caus ei know that wear very well especially around greens peak area
casey

Casey, we were up kinda on a family vacation for 4 days. We stayed in a cabin in Greer. I drove around towards big lake, looked for sheds, animals etc.... in the snow, then looked for antelope sheds towards eager. It is beautiful country up there, and my family had never been there, so it was fun showing them around..........I am going to apply for elk each year in this unit, so any info would be appreciated......Allen Taylor......

I'm back from my latest pack trip for the ever elusive monster Coues, and he coninues to be elusive. We packed in with our 3 goats 7 miles into an area where we killed a 123 incher about 5 years ago. We glassed all day Friday and Saturday morning. Ended up seeing a total of 1 Carp doe and one Carp buck, 21 Coues does and 2 Coues bucks, a 2 point and 3 point. The ruting I had hoped would come on after the storm never happened. We did glass up a very nice redish brown color phase black bear this morning. We watched him feed on the fillery in front of his cave and then crawl back into his den. All in all a nice trip. The goats did well and the tipi and stove worked great! It was cold in there. We had temps in the low 20's both mornings. Took us 4 1/2 hours to hike out this afternoon. I am tired. I'll be going back out Monday morning weather permitting.

Scott

Scott,

Keep the faith. Good luck! I want to see some pictures.

A friend of mine took a decent little buck in that unit last week. I haven't seen it yet, approximately 80 inches I hear. My brother-in-law has passed 6 similar bucks. I will be over there from the 27-31, helping him and trying to get a shot with my bow.

Darren

Keep after em sniper, that many does the bucks are bound to follow, i havent seen much rut activity yet either, have seen a couple of smaller bucks, but I had to come back to work for 4 nights and its killing me right now, I want to be hunting,I get off monday morning and have the rest of the hunt off, good luck and keep us posted......Dan

Dan, I had a friend of mine that was glassing from the highway on Greys Peak and spotted a buck way down the ridge. He couldn't tell how many points it had and some guys from Springerville stopped by and checked it for him with their spotting scope. Was that you? Just wandering. If you see a grey (pewter) 2001 GMC Crew cab long bed that's probably me.

I know how it is having to work during your hunt, fortunately this year I haven't had to do that and it has been nice. We are supposed to have some weather in today and tomorrow, we'll see. I'm hoping the rut activity starts to pick up as we go into the second half of the hunt. That does make all the difference in the world in this unit. My biggest buck to see so far has been in the upper 90's. I'm hoping to do better than that or go home emptyhanded, but you know how that saying goes "A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush"

On another note my wife (a great woman by the way) bought me the Christmas gift I wanted, that Leica Digilux I digital camera that the Outdoorsman profiled in their last issue. It came in while I was out and I'll have it with me for the rest of the hunt so I should be able to post some pictures of the goats and hunting areas as I hunt them. Life is good!!!

Scott

just got home from a weekend of hunting and we finally saw some bucks!! we went to a different place and on friday morning within a half hour of arriving we had seen 5 different bucks. the guy i was with went after a 105" inch, 95, and two about 85-90, they went right by my dad and i while we were lookin at about a 75 inch buck chasing some does. i started packin up and my dad left me he said u stay here. i told him to just let me go so they could both shoot at the same time he said no he got about 2 minutes later to and get me, by this time i was loaded and ready to go no sooner than he got back to me did we hear BOOM,BOOM,BOOM, with out haveing to say, we hauled ass over there and got the news that they had seen 4 big bucks, i didnt even say anything, i just looked at my did with the " i told u so" look. strike 1 for my dad. no more that 30 minutes later i glassed up about 80 inch fork and my dad and i went after him, we didnt know it but there were 2 bucks there and we got to within in 150 yards. i saw the big fork but his head was in a tree but i knew it was him. my dad didnt squeeze one off ,strike 2.today i glassed up 2 more good bucks about a mile away. there were 2 other hunters down below us and they beat my dad to them because my dad didnt go when i told him to so he missed his chance strike 3
casey

hey Sniper
I was at grays peak on wed, the day that it snowed all dang day, seen lots of does and 1 small buck, im like you I want the big boy, anyway it wasnt us that glassed up the buck for your friend, however I did see a pickup like you discribed, had a 4 wheeler in the back, was that you? congrats on the new toy, like the old saying go's he who dies with the biggest and bestest toys wins...hehe, got my christmas early also, 15x 56 swaro's, never realized what I was missing out on, hey good luck to you and I will be back in that part of the country day after christmas, going to try the blue Tues, seen a good one there before the hunt, keep them cards and letters comming....later Dan

Hey Casey just grab your old man and whip a knot on his head...no just kiddin, bad Idea, Ill just bet you that the next time Casey says shoot, he gets on the ball, good luck to you and keep us posted....Dan

we are in unit 36b. yeah i bet you he will because i think on 2 of my hunts,i said that we should go with this guy that i call uncle norm and his son and both time his son got a shot and the last time that happened it was this year and his son missed about a 100 incher.
casey

Blade: arent those bino's the ticket??? I didnt realize what I was missing until I got them too. Sniper, hope this weather doesnt screw you up with clouds. It has been pouring here in Phoenix most of the night. Hope you get on a big one.... Allen Taylor......

It rained and snowed most of the night. It's still snowing this morning. Here's a photo from my front door I took a few minutes ago.

Snow_in_Morenci.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom