Snow, the rut, and my muley (hopefully)

dryflyelk

Fellas,
I have a nice set of muleys staked out. Problem is, I have never hunted in these kind of conditions or this late in the year, and I wonder how these deer will be acting and the best way to approach them. They are bedded in some thick scrub oak and it will be fairly hard to approach them. The snow is now about 10" in the area. What is the best way to hunt a deer like this? What effects will the rut have? I have never hunted in the rut, so I am not sure what to expect. Anybody ever nabbed a muley this way?

When I used to hunt northern New Mexico during the archery rut hunt on the winter range, I experienced similar conditions. It was VERY difficult to sneak up on those bucks once the snow was more than a day old.

One method that worked for us, was we patterned them as best we could and set up tree stands along fringe areas they browsed and rutted in. This method generally worked but was VERY COLD to hunt in. You'll need some good gear if it stays cold and you plan on sitting a stand.

The positive side is if you're set up in the right place, you'll have some action and probably a decent shot opportunity at a good buck. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

BOHNTR )))------------>

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom