Son's 1st Big Game Animal

wymoosehunter

My son turned 12 on Friday and I offered to let him take the day off from school to go hunting. He said that he would like to go to school and not miss his math class. He is doing awesome in school and I don't want to do anything to discourage that, but wow, I skipped a lot of school as a kid to hunt. Hopefully he keeps that up.
Because of his late birthday and not being able to hunt until the middle of the month, we looked hard for a decent antelope unit for him to hunt that stayed open late. Decent unit, but man, had those antelope been hunted hard. They were wild.
We made it a family adventure as he was with his mother when she got a nice bull elk earlier this year.
He made two stalks that just did not turn out in his favor and he really showed maturity by not taking a shot on one. Then his mother spotted a real nice buck all alone in the absolute middle of nowhere. My son made a great stalk with me, getting within 50 yards of the buck, but we could not get to a spot where he could make the shot. All we could see were its horns where it had bedded down. We waited over an hour for the buck to stand up, but to no avail. We then circled around and came in at another angle and got to 78 yards of the buck. Watching my son crawl through the prickly pear sure made my day. No complaining, just get it done.
We ended up behind the last bit of cover and put the shooting sticks up so his gun just cleared the sage bush in front of us. We waited about 20 minutes, but my son was getting nervous just watching the horns and I told him to get really ready and let me know when he was ready to shoot. I told him that I would do a coyote howl and the buck would stand up, but his window of opportunity would be short, since we were so exposed.
My son said he was ready and I howled. The buck stood up, turned broadside and before I could say shoot, the buck was down. My son was so happy and proud of his one-shot kill, that I can't say who actually was prouder, dad or son.
The buck is a stud of an antelope, 15" horns with 4 1/2" cutters. He had fought hard during the rut, he was full of scars, scabs and was missing hunks of hair, and had a big hunk of horn busted off one side and the cutter on his fight side is almost broken off. Just a little more mass and it would have made B&C. Not bad for a first antelope.
What an awesome introduction to big game hunting. He had shot a number of ducks and a pheasant last year and a sage grouse this fall, all on the fly, so he was ready for big game. Next weekend we are going deer hunting. I can't wait. Then he has a cow tag for later this season.
He and his mother are putting the meat on the table this year and I am not going to do something that I have done for almost every single year since I was my son's age, hunt elk and deer. The rest of this season is for him and we plan to make the most of it. I did draw a buffalo tag, so I will hunt, so don't feel bad for me :).

Good Luck this season,
WyMo

1895resize.jpg

8120resize.jpg

Congrats to your son on that very nice Antelope Buck, great looking horns.

As for his wanting to go to school for his favorite class of MATH, guess I can't blame him it was mine too of all the ones I had to take way back in school many years ago....now watch some of these smart-mouths on here come up with a wise crack.

Again, congrats to your son and you for posting the pictures. will be back in WY next year again to hunt Lopes.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Got a pretty good team there working for you. One put elk on the table. One a speed goat.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Great story and awesome pics WyMo! I love to see guys getting their boys started early. My oldest turns 11 in March and I want to get him his first rifle for his birthday in preparation for a lope hunt in WY in 2013. I'm curious as to what caliber rifle your boy uses? Thanks.

Thanks to all. My son is still on cloud nine about his buck. Bad news though, I set the head outside our garage for the taxidermist to pick up, and someone stole the head. Pretty devastating, but my son really took it well, saying that he has all the memories and photos. Pretty disheartening that someone would stoop to that level. I filed a police report and made a flyer and took it to all the taxidermist's shops in the area. Hopefully it will turn up, but I doubt it.

To answer Sasquatch's question, he hunts with a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 243 WSSM. I really like the super short round, but it is much harder to load since the case is so short when you put rounds in the magazine. My son struggled with that for a while. It also kicks quite a bit more than a friend's 6mm that is considerably heavier. I did cut down a blem stock that I bought and put a Simms Vibe pad on it. He shoots it well without flinching, so all in all I am real happy with the gun. I would not let him shoot it when he was 10, and frankly, I am glad that he didn't. It was too much gun for him then.
WyMo

Congrats. That is a very nice buck, let alone for a first. You both did very well. Thanks for sharing.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom