Son's 2nd rifle?

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
My son wants to buy another rifle. He has saved his money and is looking for a larger centerfire. He currently shoots a .257 Ackley. He is thinking of a .280, a .270, or a 30-06. He is 13 and is looking toward his first elk hunt. Which caliber would ya'll suggest?

Phantom Hunter

They're all great choices if he's not sensitive to recoil. IMHO, the 7/08 would make a great choice...

Hank

Of the three for elk, I'd choose the 30-06 due to the greater frontal area of the bullet, but how about the 308? Good bullet selection also, and considering his age, less recoil than the 06.

Doug/Redrabbit

my second rifle that i bought was a 30-06 i was about the same age. bought a beautiful gun, remington 700 bdl mountain rifle in lss. its a awesome gun but it hurt the wallet but i could not be ore happy with what i bought.
casey

It depends on your hunting area. The .270 will shoot flatter at longer ranges than the 30-06 but provides less punch.

Brendon

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-04 AT 05:23PM (MST)[p]
I got my first rifle when I was 10 or 11 and it was a 7 mm wby., and I loved it, it took a couple shots for me to get used to the recoil my 2nd rifle I got when I was 14 which was my 300 win. mag. and that gun is my baby, I was by no means a big kid I was weighing in around 115 to 120 bills then but the more I shot it the more used to it I got, I liked it better than the 30-06's my friends were shooting, I have also heard that the 300 wsm has less recoil, so that might be a good idea in my opinion for a gun that he wouldn't grow out of I bought a 338 this year and when the hunt came around all I could look at was my 300 win, but if you want something with less recoil I would go with the 270 over the 30-06 (I know people love them but I'm just not a fan of them)but like its been said the 270 gives less punch than the 30-06 My uncle had a 270 I loved to shoot when I was younger, also the 7mm wsm might be good? just my thoughts and opinions.

Jake

If recoil is not a big issue, I would go with the 30-06 or 300 WSM. The 270 is a very good caliber, but since he already has a 257 Roberts, I don't see buying a 2nd rifle that is that close in performance to the one he already has. 308 is another caliber that he needs to look at also. I know that everyone has their favorite caliber, and a lot of them seem to knock the 30-06 due to it's age and being "too" common, but the 30-06 has probably killed more elk then any other caliber. It is a good performer and has a wide range of different bullet weights.

Good Hunting;
RELH

My son has decided to go with the 06. My friend and I convinced him the 06 would do all he needs it to do with less recoil and expense than a 7 mag or 300 mag. We told him when he is older he can buy whatever he wants but for now the 06 will serve him well. Now to find a Rem. 700 in 30-06 at a price he can afford. He has saved his money and is buying this rifle on his own. Thanks for all the input.

Phantom Hunter

Just an update for all those who offered advice. My son bought a Savage 110 at the gun show last week. He got a pretty good deal gun, scope, case, sling for a pretty fair price. He is now saving pennies for a Leupold scope. The way he saves money look out for him out west in a few years he will be applying for every tag in the west.

Phantom Hunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom