Son's muzzy buck

steelheader

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-09 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]
IMG_1288_edited.jpg
The hunt started out slow, The first three days was just does and yearlings. We then went home for a couple days and came back on the 23rd and things picked up. He took this buck the morning after missing a real nice 4x4 the night before (I missed too!!!!). That morning we were back in the same area with hope that the big 4x4 would come back for his does. A couple hours of glassing that morning only turned up one buck that had a missing left side. We were about to move on when Dustin spotted this buck sneaking away from a hunter up on the next ridge, At one point he was only 150 yards from the buck but never slowed down to look around. The buck moved down into some tall sage and bedded up. It took us about an hour to move around and get the wind right, then we moved in. At about 20 yards the buck was still holding tight, but when he lifted his head and look up at us Dustin took the shot just as the buck got to his feet. The shot hit behind his left front leg, but at that angle it exited out in front of the left sholder. the buck was at the bottom of the wash in no time and the turned to his right and headed up the next wash out of sight. At 42 I can't run like a 16 year old can so I told him to hall butt to the top of the next wash about 130 yards away and get him cut off. Dustin beat him there and droped him at about 70 yards, takeing out the bottom of the heart. A great shot after an all out sprint down the ridge. Dustin has hung with me since he was five years old, and some day it will be his turn to take me hunting, course that means I get first shot then!

nice buck, is that his first, if you dont mind my askin what unit was that?

He was shooting a traditions tracker, 90gr, 295 lead powerbelt. And no I didnt get any pics of the one horn, he was to far. He looked like he had a main beam on the other side but that was it, less then half the size of the otherside. We saw three deer on the hunt that had large spikes on the one side, two 2x1's and a 3x1, so I dont know if there is a genetic issue with some of theses. The one 2x1 was a younger buck but the other 2x1, 3x1 were older deer. big body, and still in velvet with lots of nubs on the bases.

Very nice job Guys I spoke with you on the opening weekend of your hunt and was wanting to check up on you guys and see how you did! Congrats lifetime of memories for father and son!

It worked out really well! I killed my best buck to date on thursday the 29th! He is a super heavy 4by with a great frame just not too wide, actually scores pretty well a little better than I thought he would on the hoof! As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will! I was solo with no camera except a cell phone, so I didn't get any good pictures in the field but I got some with my family when I got back home! Did you get a chance to go back after your son got his buck?

You can send you cell phone pics to your email, then save the pictures and do the photobucket thing

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom