Son's spike tag help

huntFX4

I know there aren't alot of people like spike hunts but I got my son a spike tag for his first big game hunt. I haven't gotten out to scout for him much due to work. I want to hunt the Oquirrhs since they are close to home. I've gotten out there twice, but all I've managed to locate are a few raghorn bulls. Been looking between Ophir and Mercur.

Does anyone have any info they might be willing to share on where I might have some luck in the Oquirrhs or maybe the Stansbury Mtns? I've looked there too but have only found old sign. Haven't been up there since the west side of the range burned up though.

Or if anyone is willing to give me any pointers for the Wasatch I may go there. I'd like to trash his Fish Lake Cow tag and not use it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
HuntFX4

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-09 AT 08:15PM (MST)[p]if you're seeing rag horns then there are probably some spikes in there as well... I'd rather shoot a cow than a future big bull... Just my opinion though...

I agree with cjg about spikes around the raghorns. But I'm a little sensitive about shooting cows on the Fish Lake. The DWR smashed the hell out of the herd a few years ago, to the point of closing the spike hunt. They have given out 2800 tags again this year, so any unfilled tag would be fine by me. I'll trade one spike for all the bull calves that cow will produce over the next 5 years. IMO. Good Luck on both hunts, I hope your son has a great experience!

Muley you took the words right out of my mouth about whether to shoot cows or spikes. One spike is one potential big bull, one cow is several potential big bulls.
I watched the raghorns until dark, after they had come out of the aspens about a half hour before sunset, but nothing else came out. There are several sets of aspens in that canyon, but the major aspens had 3 quads running through it so anything there was sitting tight or had already run off before I got there.

"One spike is one potential big bull, one cow is several potential big bulls.

......and one 340" bull killed is a potential 380".

We have to kill elk to keep the herd numbers managed.
One elk gone is food for another, no matter what size or sex it is.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom