South Africa 2017!

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
Well, after winning the auction for a Safari at a recent RMEF banquet, I'm booked for a July 2017 Safari with Richard Holmes Safaris! I'm close to deciding on a hitlist. Springbok and Blesbok were included in the package deal. I'm about 90% sure I'm going to add Kudu, Nyala, Lechwe, Blue Wildebeest or Gemsbok (if around a 40" bull steps out as I already have a 36" cow), and Impala. Can't wait!!

Since you already have a NM gemsbok, I would pass on that and switch in another animal. Already threw my choice in for East Cape Bushbuck, but if they are available, try to get a Vaal Rhebok in the mountains. Beautiful and hard to hunt, certainly a trophy that most first time African hunters never get a chance at.

I hear you on the gemsbok. The only reason I would take one is if I see a bull that's going to be around 40". One of the guys going with me took a 41" there in 2011. I think having one from both Africa and North America. I'll likely want a blue wildebeest over a gemsbok. I like the tough reputation they have.

I really like the idea of a bushbuck hunt as another spiral horned antelope but you have to travel to a neighbor ranch to take one which takes away opportunities at other animals. We'll see what happens there.

Just an update gents...

Working on my gun and taxi paperwork and then all my planning will be done! It'll be time for shooting stick practice and packing list at that point.

My hunt already includes a common spring and blessbuck. I will be adding Kudu, Nyala, Black Wildebeest, and Impala if all goes well.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-17 AT 08:08AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-17 AT 08:07?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-17 AT 08:05?AM (MST)

You may already know this but there's lots of talk right now about SAPS requiring the 4457 to not have an expired date on the top right. So make sure to download the newest form instead of hoping that the local customs office is using it. They will keep using old forms until they run out of them because they technically never expire.

Good luck on the trip, I'll be heading to Namibia in June with a similar hit list. No nyala but probably a hartmann zebra and a eland will be on my list.

You got that right! I found out about that new form yesterday actually.

I'm jealous of your Eland hitlist. Where I'm going has them but the quality is average and an Eland shoulder mount is HUGE. I'm holding off on them for a future trip hopefully.

I decided to rent a gun from the outfitter just to avoid the chaos and unexpected of traveling with my rifle. I'm also spending quite a bit of time beyond the hunt for sight seeing so it just doesn't seem worth it to me to have to worry about hauling it all over Namibia and South Africa.

This is my first trip over so I'm pretty excited. It's been on my bucket list for years.

I've thought about going after giraffe but I'm just not sure how challenging the hunt really is. I've seen some pretty curious comments about them where people have walked right up to them and then others say as long as you try and stalk them it makes it harder. They're fairly reasonable in costs but the tanning and other costs are outrageous. I'll probably just pass on it.

I hope you enjoy your time over there and get to see some amazing things, it should be a fun experience.

Giraffe in their native environment can be a really tough hunt, and a lot of fun. Seems they can see you from a longggg way away from their elevated "perch".
Like anything in Africa, you can go to a put and take ranch where they are no more difficult that shooting a Hereford. But that robs you of the experience. Hold off on your decisions until you see the hunting area where you will be. If wild and shot for biltong, as is often the case in Zim, giraffe are a real hoot.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom