South EAST ID unit help

cavemn5050

Looking for a NR OTC tag somewhere in Southern Idaho for muleys. Wondering which unit you guys would recommend. I'm considering 56, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, or 78. I'm trying to get away from crowds as I'm use to hunting the Wasatch Front with everyone else and their brother. I will be rifle hunting and don't mind hiking a good bit. 2016 will be the first year my boy can hunt so I'd like to find a unit where I can take him without wearing him out too much.

Which unit would you choose that has plenty of public land to hunt, and gets away from the crowds? This is my 3rd year hunting and I'd like a bigger deer than a 2 point, but this is more of a scouting trip for 2016 and putting meat in the freezer.

Any input on which you'd prefer would be awesome. Thanks.

The only unit I have hunted from that list is 56. It was a good unit but is over hunted and you will find it crowded. Lots of roads in the unit so if you want your boy to road hunt and short hikes you can find a 2 point to shoot.
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

Thanks for the info 7mm. I'm considering 76 this year. Looks like there is quite a bit of land where I can get away from the roads. Not sure if I want to backpack in or just go for some long early morning hikes.

Unit 76 does have lots of land, but don't get disappointed if you don't see any deer. I like to hunt next to the Wyoming border. If you can get lucky enough to have one walk over the border.

50/50: I don't want you to be disappointed but I don't think its worth the time and money to hunt SE idaho. IMO. :) about 4 years ago that area had a huge winter kill and while there are a few bucks the recovery has been slow. Seem all the places with a NR general over the counter tag in that area are in the same boat. Putting in for Controlled hunts are better if your lucky enough to draw a tag:)
We quit rifle hunting deer in Idaho when they went to the Controlled hunt draw system.

I archery hunt elk in 76 and in the last three years deep in the backcountry we saw one. Nice buck out even with his ears and another year saw a small forkie.
During that winter kill many of the older bucks didn't make it. They were still recovering from the rut. Then came early heavy December snows that lasted through the winter and there was very little feed so many starved to death because they started out the winter already weak.

Good luck where ever you decide to hunt. If you see a legal buck you better shoot it. Do some homework if you can make a scouting trip. Finding a place then going way back in putting all your eggs in one basket may turn into a long boring hunt if you don't see anything with horns. There is a reason more locals road hunt. They cover country to spot sign and game. Once you've do that then you can try and get back a ways. Unfortunately lots of hunters with the same idea:) walk in far enough and you will find other hunters comming in from roads on the opposite way you came in.

Thanks for all the info trophyhunter. Some great info that has me re-thinking the whole thing. Appreciate all the info.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom