South Slope Bonanza/Vernal

I drew a Deer tag in the unit and have never been in the unit before. I am hoping to get some info on where to camp. I plan on going out there for a few days to scout, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

There’s a dirt road just outside of town on the left. Drive on it for a1.8 miles then stop. Take 69 steps east, then turn 360 degrees, look to the pine tree on the ridge to the left and there should be about a nice 185 inch buck chillin right there for ya.

I've only hunted antelope there. Hope it goes well! Sorry for all the sarcasm that gets dished out on this site. Not Founder's intention I'm sure.

There’s a dirt road just outside of town on the left. Drive on it for a1.8 miles then stop. Take 69 steps east, then turn 360 degrees, look to the pine tree on the ridge to the left and there should be about a nice 185 inch buck chillin right there for ya.
Gosh!!!! I hate it when people give out my secret hunting spot over the internet. Guess I got to start looking for a new area.

If you are coming east into town on 40, take 2500 west and just follow that up it will take you right up the mountain and just find a place to set up camp.

Scouted 3 days, and hunted antelope for a week there. Only buck low i saw was down along the river. A few deer up higher, and anytime i found quakies i saw does. Good luck

This unit typically has the highest success rate of any general season deer unit in the state (So, I'm not quite sure how it's the worst unit in the state?). That being said, I would also guess that 90%+ of the bucks harvested are yearlings with maybe a couple two year olds. There are not many older age class bucks. If you're hunting the forest, where the most deer are, look for aspen and hunt in and around the aspens during the rifle hunt. There are tons of roads and lots of road hunters. Opening morning on the Range Study, Colton or Little V off Hwy 191 above Vernal you might just wear your running shoes and leave your rifle home. You just got to outrun everyone else to the buck and tag it before the other two guys that shot it get there. Ha ha!

It's a fun hunt. Not a trophy hunt. Have a blast.

This unit typically has the highest success rate of any general season deer unit in the state (So, I'm not quite sure how it's the worst unit in the state?). That being said, I would also guess that 90%+ of the bucks harvested are yearlings with maybe a couple two year olds. There are not many older age class bucks. If you're hunting the forest, where the most deer are, look for aspen and hunt in and around the aspens during the rifle hunt. There are tons of roads and lots of road hunters. Opening morning on the Range Study, Colton or Little V off Hwy 191 above Vernal you might just wear your running shoes and leave your rifle home. You just got to outrun everyone else to the buck and tag it before the other two guys that shot it get there. Ha ha!

Shooting Spike's and two points, and putting on our running shoes to outrun everyone to a yearling. Sounds tempting.
I would have to give that a hard pass!

I don't think we should even include yearlings in our harvest success calculations!
And I will stand by it being one of the worst general units in the state, you just reaffirmed that.

Shooting Spike's and two points, and putting on our running shoes to outrun everyone to a yearling. Sounds tempting.
I would have to give that a hard pass!

I don't think we should even include yearlings in our harvest success calculations!
And I will stand by it being one of the worst general units in the state, you just reaffirmed that.
That happens in every unit in the state. I’ve seen literal fist fights take place over a 2 point. Every unit is a disaster the first 1.5 days of the hunt

Hey guys, I know the unit is not a great unit. I also have a 85 yr old Dad that still wants to hunt and as long as he is able to do this I will take what I can get. I also have a friend that is only into hunting a couple of years and has only shot 1 Buck so far. Sorry if my post offended anyone. If we get nothing that is fine and if my friend wants to shoot a forky that is fine also. The jerky will still be good. Some of you guys are pretty hard core with the comments.
Anyway thanks to the guys that are trying to be helpful.

Thanks for the info.

You might wanna study those numbers a little closer. It’s not the worst unit in the state as far as success, but it’s certainly not the highest over all.
I have studied the numbers. I'm not looking at the youth or dedicated hunters that can hunt all the seasons, just the general rifle (including the early and late ones). For the last 5 years straight it has had the highest success. I didn't look back beyond that, but I bet it was super high in those years too.

Year% SuccessSuccess Rank

I have studied the numbers. I'm not looking at the youth or dedicated hunters that can hunt all the seasons, just the general rifle (including the early and late ones). For the last 5 years straight it has had the highest success. I didn't look back beyond that, but I bet it was super high in those years too.

Year% SuccessSuccess Rank
Throw in the muzzy, archery and dedicated success in that number and see where it lands

Throw in the muzzy, archery and dedicated success in that number and see where it lands
DB, go ahead and look those up if you want to, I just answered with the data for the hunt that the original poster asked about. The data is easy to find, here's the link if you want it ( Utah Harvest Data ).

The unit isn't famous for big bucks, but it consistently has the highest rifle hunt success out of the 29 different general season units in the state. That's saying something. There are lots of deer with easy access for hunters. I haven't hunted it since Utah went to unit by unit deer hunting. It's not for everyone but the folks I talk to that hunt it seem know what they are in for, and to enjoy it.

It wouldn't be my first choice if I was looking for a 5+ year old buck. But, if you are a meat hunter, a younger or older hunter, someone with limited mobility or a person that doesn't have a lot of experience and want to get your feet wet hunting muleys it's probably good for those folks. It's also getting to be pretty hard to draw, at least for residents.

All This Time!

And I Just Didn't Know I Was That Close to the Best Unit in the State!
Too bad Bessy, you're not allowed to hunt it anyways! It's one of the many hunts you are on the drawing blacklist for in Fallon. You can only dream about hunting Nomads on the Vernal.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom