south slope diamond mtn elk

treedagain

Long Time Member
any info that you want to share on the early rifle hunt would be appreciated. this will be my wifes 1st elk hunt, not looking for your honey hole, just a point in the right direction. I know there is private land issues.

Just look at a map and find the ridges that are surrounded by private lands on either side. Then find a way to hike out onto those ridges through public lands. Uintah County can print you out a pretty good map. You can even scout by glassing from the roads onto the ridges, but you will have to hike you guts out to get to them without trespassing. It can be pretty frustrating when you can see elk 800 yards from the road on public land, but it is a rough 5 mile each way hike to get to them and then to pack it back out.

I am no expert on Diamond Mtn., but did some looking around to see exactly what the conditions were, and I decided to apply elsewhere. Not nearly as many animals in the areas that are larger blocks of public land, and access is possible but really inconvenient in the other areas. Bulls aren't the biggest out there either, some decent ones, but lots of mediocre bulls. Good luck hope you guys have a fun hunt.

Dax is right. You do have to deal with private land. That being said there is still plenty of public land to hunt. You have a chance to find a big bull, but they are few and far between. My mom had this tag last year. Took a decent bull. They did see bigger bulls but once the pressure started the big guys headed for private land or Colorado. My mothers bull was shot within a mile of the Colorado line.

+1 on the Map. My dad had one sent to him. He contacted the uintah county offices in Vernal and asked for a diamond mountain land owners map. Very helpful.

I am pretty sure I drew an archery deer tag out there this year (cc was hit, no email yet). Maybe we can exchange notes from scouting trips or coordinate to go look together. Check your PM.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom