Southern Turkeys

stanley

Very Active Member
Hello Utah Friends:

I've archery deer hunted and camped/fished with my every summer in Southern Utah for many years with my kids. Live in Phx now, but get there when ever possible. ;) Went to college in Utah, and LOVE it there!

Well, I've never hunted Spring turkeys in Southern Ut, but I have an old college friend who put in for his first tag and was drawn. He has never hunted Spring birds before, and I'm anxious to help him experience the excitement.

I have spent quite a lot of time around Navajo Lake fishing, camping, hiking and archery deer hunting in the summers. I've also spent some time fishing/camping just North of Escalante, up by Barker lake. PLEASE know that I'm not looking for any honey holes!!! Just looking for an opinion or two on where, between those two general areas, that anyone might recommend we start? I can't get up there to scout early. :( He is planning on hunting the weekend before Easter (around the 15th of April.....).

Of course any open comments would be welcome, as well as any PMs.

Thanks in advance for reading this guys! God bless Southern Utah!! ;)

S.

:)

PS: Of course I'm also willing to trade info on Southern AZ! ;)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-11 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]It depends on what the weather is doing. If there is still a lot of snow. Which there is now. I dont think you will have turkeys around Navajo lake area. They follow the snow line ,so your better off lower. Like east zion below Navajo.
Which tags do you have ?

Thanks for the rely BIGJOHNT! I'm going to confirm with my friend, but I think he's got a permit for hunt number 9304, which is the Southern Region limited entry hunt (4/9-4/28). I don't have the tag, I'm just going along to call & have fun.

10-4 on the snow line! Same here in AZ at the higher elevations..... ;-) I'll look lower based on that. I'll find-out what hunt he has so we can try to plan accordingly.

S.

:)

I participated in the turkey calling contest at the hunt expo and during the contest they said that the southern turkeys got hit real hard last winter! They ended up planting a some different rios last year from one of the dakotas thinking they will survive the winters better. Hopefully they make a good comeback as I would like to hunt down there some time. Good luck on your hunt.

The numbers are down and last season was tough. They are giving to many tags as well. I have been very successful with Southern Utah turkeys, but I didn't draw this year and I don't plan to put in again. That being said, my wife and my dad have limited entry tags this years, so those of you I have helped with places in the past, I would appreciate if you kept in mind that I have tags this year, and plan to hunt my spots. Good luck.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom