Southern Wyoming Winter?

blacktailBC

Can anyone from Wyoming chime in on how the winter is going over there? I have heard rumors that it is getting bad. Just wondering, since I just put in for deer and antelope there. (Region K, and Antelope 95).

Thanks,
Blacktail

I haven't been thru there this winter yet, but yesterday Hog Park had a low of -53F and I'm sure -30s have been common the last few days. The sat pic is showing a lot of snow cover in there now.

It has been bad! Started out with a lot of snow, now its been colder than its been in quite a few years. That being said, I've seen winter start earlier and seem to never let up. At least this cold stretch has been a sunny cold stretch. There are many little spots that have blown clear and then sun has continued the process of reducing the snow depth on those south facing slopes. If we can get a break in the weather on temps., and an early spring????? Its those late heavy snow cold snaps in the spring that tend to kill off many fawns and weakened deer. No matter how bad, the deer always amaze me. Antelope too for that matter. Sometimes you think none of them can survive, but they do.

I agree with bucklover. There are two times of the year that are particularly tough on the deer. Just after the rut and early spring. So far this is a tougher winter than last year. I have seen animals doing things they did not do last year. We will have to wait and see what comes out. There is only so much food for the elk and deer and I see them really hitting the farmers hay this winter. They almost seem desperate.

A buddy of mine said its been some of the best sledding he's seen down there in a long time. Just heard on the radio the Sierra Madres are expecting up to two feet of snow tomorrow. I hunted outside of Saratoga a few years ago after that exceptionally hard winter we had and never saw doodley squat for branched antlered deer. I'd think they'd just now be recovering quality wise. However, after this long/cold winter, think I'll pass for a few more years...

You're waiting until March to do what?? You can't pick up horn until May 1st, if that's your plan

We just got 4 inches of more snow yesterday and this morning its -15....seen a lot deer tip over in the this last week...lookin' grim...praying for a chinook to come thru...

It would really help when you guys come on here with a status report like the last two posts to tell where you are talking about. I have a website with WDOT camera views on a lot of the highways that I believe kilowatt made available in a link and an awful lot of them show open ground with very little snow. Are we talking mostly the western side of the state with the bad snow or what? I know the temperatures all over out there have been pretty low. Thanks guys!!!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom