southwest desert or san jaun

twobears

Does anyone have any info that they would share on either unit. I was just wanting to get an idea if a 350 bull is doable on s.w. desert, From what I understand it is on san jaun, but the N.R. odds are not that good either,I'm looking at early rifle.I trust the guys on the forum more than the info from some magazines or consulting services. Thanks Frank

How many points do you have? If I could have either tag I would definately choose San Jaun but I have heard alot of good things about South West Desert also. Big bulls in both units for sure. Good luck!

San Juan has way more big mature bulls than SW desert, but there are good bulls there. If you have the points/time, I would wait for San Juan.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-10 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p]San Juan is better, but most people already know it so it is tough to get. If you have the time I would go SW Desert because you would have less competition and could still land a monster bull.

San Juan Harvest Ratios 2009

Archery = 54.5%
Early Rifle =95.7%
Late Rifle =73.7%
Muzz. = 100%

SW Desert Harvest Ratios 2009

Archery = 60%
Early Rifle = 88.9%
Late Rifle = 86.7%
Muzz. = 90.9%

San Juan overall average: 80.975%
SW Desert overall average: 81.625%

I would say that they are very similar as far as success rates go.

Dillon

Ratios provided by the Utah DWR 2009 LE ELK references.

How much time do you have to spend scouting, or are you planning on hiring a guide? Do you have weather preference? Do you have terrain preference? I don't know a ton about San Juan besides that it is pretty good, but I have spent a ton of time in the SW desert. But bulls are few and far between, but usually are pretty nice when you do find them. The terrain is pretty barren, sage/cedar, and temperatures are HOT... depending on your hunt, but archery will get 100 plus...
----------------------------------------
Hoyt Katera XL
Spot Hogg Seven Deadly Pin
Fuse Acculaunch
Fuse Satori
G5 Matreo Strings
"I don't miss, I just don't hit him on purpose"

There's a major difference in the terrain between the units. You have to figure they type of hunt you would like to do.

Southwest Desert is rocks, dirt and cedars. San Juan is desert to scrub oak to pines and canyon country all mixed.

I like them both, but think San Juan is better for archery hunting and thus my choice this year.

Here's a couple of pics from both spots that I've taken on spotting trips.

From Abajo Peak looking west
9009abajo_peak_west.jpg

SW Desert south of Indian Peak
8361sw_desert.jpg

Cheers,
Pete

Hey guys: Thanks for the info and the pictures I love hunting that sage and junipers country so I'm thinkin S.W. desert. I have the time to scout and the whole season to hunt if I draw. Hope I can give some info to some other folks about areas that I have hunted. Thanks again Frank

My three top Utah Elk Units are:
San Juan
Pahvant
SW Desert.

If I was NR archer, I would put in for the SW Desert. I would make sure I got a statewide archery deer tag, and hunt elk, but if a brusier deer walked by I would stick it.

I don't know anything about San Juan, but my dad had an early season rifle tag on SW Desert last year. We saw a lot of 300-320 class bulls and ended up taking a 6x10 bull that rough scored 350. We did see one that was a little bit bigger, but we could never get close enough for a shot. If you're interested, PM me and I'll e-mail you some pictures.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-10 AT 09:17PM (MST)[p]i dont know much about san juan but sw des is a great unit. it is a little tougher to hunt i am sure, as it is very thick p&j's but that is the reason there are tremendous bulls on it. its had its fair share of 400's killed on it and i belive the goofy bull was the largest grossing off it at 434 do a google search on him freakin awesome bull 5x8 and all long tines. a 422 bull was killed a couple years ago on archery hunt.belive the guy that killed it was troy ence. this unit used to be the best in the state hands down but the other units have caught up to it. the elk are scattered but they are there, it can get dry and hot so can be tough. i think you have a great chance at a 350+ bull if you spend the time out there. good luck

goofy bull
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Kings-Outdoor-World/HI41web/2009072901/59.html

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom