Southwest WI

A

AZBULLS

Never hunted anywhere except Arizona... Going to WI with my father in-law to hunt whitetail in the southwest part of the state on private property. Just wondering what to expect? my father in-law has shot nice 10 point bucks to fork horns on this property-the property has not been hunted in two years. Hows the weather?
Thanks in advance,

Craig

I am no expert on deer hunting in Wisconsin-I've been there just never hunted it-but the difference between what you would see in Wisc compared to Az is night and day. If I had to guess the terrain will be a lot of rolling hills with agriculutre and woodlots. All the factors for growing monster deer are in place in Wisc it's just a matter of being patient and hoping that the neighbors don't slaughter the first thing they see. Buffalo Co., Wisc is the top producer of B&C bucks in the country and it is in the western part of the state next to Minnesota so look where you are going in relation to that county but anywhere in the state should be pretty dang good. Hopefully this is some help and good luck.

Thanks for the info... I forgot to mention I am going to Richland county Unit 71 I believe-for the Nov. rifle hunt. Sounds like a lot of fun can't wait.

I might be able to help you with some information. I live in Wisconsin and I also hunt in Richland County. I have hunted in Wis. all my life. I have shot some nice bucks in Richland County. Depending on the area that you will hunt in the county you will see some very nice bucks. As far as the weather. I shot a very nice 10 pointer witch is a 5x5 for western states on opening morning in 2001 and the low temp. for the morning was 50 degrees. That day it got up to 75. This last year we had snow on the ground. On an average we have lows in the 20's and highs around 50. What part of Richland county are you going to be in? If you have any more questions you can PM me or e-mail at [email protected]. I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have.

Good Luck
Mike

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-07 AT 07:16AM (MST)[p]Where are you going to be hunting in Sw Wi? I live there, in Spring Green WI. As was stated the hills are short, around 500 vertical, but steep, farm land, and lots of thick woods. Just give me some more info and what ever questions you want and I will help you out. As for trophy quality it will be property specific. My email is [email protected]

A little edit after I went back and read your post as to where yo are going, would hate to read everything before posting! Anyway I live 10 min. from Richland County, I may or may not know the property you are hunting, but can help you with the area. Remember there is about a 100% chance you will be in a CWD area so you must shoot a doe before a buck.

I hunted in Iowa county near Mineral Point from 1977 to 2000. Since 2000, I've been out west every year, WY, MT & CO. What I can tell you is WI kills over 400K deer per year. 350K in a 9 day season. Most of the SW is farm country as described above. Rolling hills with some woods and lots for them to eat. Corn, soybeans and alfalfa galore. Also as mentioned, Buffalo county is a big buck producer. Probably much further north than your going. With the high kill rate, many bucks don't live past 3 1/2. In fact most are spikes, forks and small 6-8 pts. You can get a decent buck but the key is to stay put. Many hunters get antsy and move mid morning and lunch. Stay put. Get off the ground if you can. That area is all rifle. Some areas are shot gun around larger cities. The areas that are wooded and very hilly, or have bluffs like buffalo county can hold sneaky big deer. Area around Iowa county is CWD eradication zone. Shoot all the deer you want practically. Before the CWD crisis, four guys would have 8 deer by noon opening day. Four bucks and four does. Things have changed a lot since then. Cousins have got a couple nice bucks lately but many less deer there. Feel free to email me if you wish. [email protected]
Season always starts the Saturday before Thanksgiving and goes until the Sunday after. Special CWD areas may open late Oct. Have a nice time. Dave

Thanks for the information... I did'nt get drawn in AZ so I'm looking forward to this hunt.

Craig, did you figure out the property you will be on yet or even were its by? Who knows maybe I can run over there and try to take some digiscope pictures for you.

Living in Madison, Wisconsin right now but originally from Colorado. Here is a SW Wisconsin buck from right in the heart of the CWD eradication zone. There is some excellent hunting in SW Wisconsin, I know of many big bucks.

P1040750.jpg

Great Buck HighPlains. I can only hope to harvest such a nice buck.... November cant get here quick enough.

AZ I think you'll like that area. Lots of deer and if you're on private land there are plenty of big deer. I grew up along the Wisconsin river and i see plenty of monsters taken every year in that area. It's over looked by most people but that's alright with me. You will need to shoot a doe first as we're under the earn-a-buck rule this year, but that shouldn't be problem. Let us know how you do, I'll be there too.

sagehnter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom