speedgoat guidance

NMBOWHUNTR

Ok all you knowledgeable speedgoat hunters, looking for a little help in my current situation.

This will be my first antelope hunt and I ended up drawing a archery tag (preferred method of hunting)for here in NM.

After I found out I drew a tag I located a piece of state land where I have seen goats before which is primarily landlocked except for about 1/4 mile section that borders the highway. I ended up talking with the rancher for permission to cross his property and was denied but explained I will still be hunting the area just staying on state land and accessing where it borders the highway. He said ok and I also confirmed this was legal with the state land officer of that region.

Here in NM from my understanding the ranch that controls the state deeded land (which is what I will be hunting) doesnt have to give sportsmen access to the area until 7 days prior to the hunt.

I have been out twice to check the area from the highway and have glassed goats both times.

My first delema is I plan on setting up a groundblind on the primary water source of the area. MY question is will that one week allow the goats time to get accustomed to the blind?

I also am not comfortable leaving my blind up for a week to get stolen or blown away in the wind. I was thinking of putting up a mock blind and replacing it opening morning and wondered if anyone has done this with good results?

This water source is out in the open with no cover around so brushing it in isnt really an option. Also this pond is the only water for about a mile.

The area also has a lot of cover so spot and stalk are an option just there isnt any really high points to glass from to formulate a plan.

Any advice on the mock blind and my current situation would be greatly aprreciated.

I would leave the blind up unless it's right by the highway. The goats will get used to it, especially after a week. Get some long spikes or rebar stakes to replace the ridiculious ones that come with your blind. You could use one of those as a tooth pick. I use big nails about a foot long. I leave my blind up in Wyoming for over a month and it has not blown away. I don't worry about my blind getting stolen. Have faith in your fellow man.

The only idea for a mock blind would be to use a cheaper blind but then you're spending money that you could use for a tank of gas.
I like HiMtnHtr's idea, just put your blind up and check it a couple times from the highway.
Yes, a week will be long enough for most of the critters to calm down around the strange structure.
Good luck,
Zeke

Thanks for the advice guys. I will put my blind up the week before and hope things work out smoothly. I got some serious military tent stakes and im sure that will keep it in place. The waterhole is in a depression and it takes some effort to see it from the road so I dont think I will have any issues there.

Only concern is I know they run cattle on the land but havent seen any both times I have been out scouting. Wondering if I should pound in some t posts with barb wire to keep them from destroying the blind if indeed there is cattle.

I plan on going out this weekend to look around some more so hopefully I get some pics. I forgot my camera last time out and could of got some good pics of the buck im after.

Will post pics if it works out!

Cattle can be a pain in the butt, so it may not be a bad idea to set a post at four corners a little ways out from the blind and circle them with a couple strands of wire if you have access to the stuff.

Ok first off sorry about the picture quality. Was using a not so good camera through a not so good spotting scope but here is the buck I am after.

910rscn3141.jpg

8550rscn3140.jpg

6074rscn3139.jpg

9459rscn3138.jpg

Like I mentioned before this is my first antelope hunt and not a good judge of a trophy but this dude is one in my eyes especially if I can get him with stick and string.

I have seen him every time I go out scouting so hopefully I can get it done.

As you can see the terrian is decent for stalking and Im not super patient so dont know if I can sit in the blind all day.

I keep seeing him about a mile to 1/2 mile from the pond I want to set up on but I think there is a tank about the same distance away north of where I am seeing him at.

????

He looks very tall, over 15" closer to 16"- 16 1/2". Shooter for sure. He looks a little weak on the prongs but it's hard to tell from the picture.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 07:20PM (MST)[p]Looks like a shooter just from length alone, but not being able to really tell his mass and cutter length from the fuzzy photos, I have no idea what he might score. If you can get him into the pond and take him with your bow, it would be great. To try and stalk antelope, even in that terrain, will be difficult with their eyesite. It can be done though, and the less eyes there are with him the better chance you'll have. God luck!

I have archery hunted antelope alot in wyoming. i had put up a double bull blind the day before th opener and had antelope come in on opening day. I think its great to put up a blind as early as you can but I would not hesitate to put one up the day before then hunt away. It has worked plenty good for me before. And for your first antelope with a bow I would say shoot that antelope.

Nice buck, and that is some truly awesome looking country for spot and stalk.

Here is one option for Spot and Stalk early Season, before they get rutty (You can switch the cover to an antelope buck after the rut begins):

Kellypig2.jpg

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

Hate to bring this up but some ranchers are famous for making a "cattle drive" through areas as mentioned above before the season starts. Hope you fair better on this aspect.
Thank You
Rick

Ok folks put my blind out last saturday morning so hopefully a week will give them time to calm down.

We ended up getting there at first light and glassed the pond from the highway. The big buck and 8 doe's were about 300 yards from the pond. Proceeded to hike the mile and a half in and bumping them while we set up the blind.

I definitly under estimated the size of the pond and of course the monsoons we have been having this month didnt help. 127 yards from end to end and 50 across. Holy crap I hope they dont come in on the far side.

Its more like two ponds combined into one a figure 8 shape. I set up on one of the points in the center closer to where most of their tracks were. The furthest shot to that side 56 but the other direction.... 84! I wont be taking that shot.

Chomping at the bit for saturday, come on saturday!

4117antelope1.jpg

1858antelope2.jpg

I started a new thread with pics of my success but here you go again. I ended up taking this buck opening day of the hunt. Not the same one I was watching and got pics of pre-season but the buck I got was the dominant buck in the area. I watched him chase off the big tall buck and another one. He had 9 doe's with him and wasn't about to give them up. My first speedgoat and am damn proud of him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom