Spike elk tags

swbuckmaster

Long Time Member
Who thinks we need to make these guys use their points for spike tags?

I personally think if they want to hunt spikes then they don't get to apply for a big bull tag.

Who agrees?

Archery is a year round commitment!!

You simply can't purchase a spike tag and go hunting and then complain that it is going to take a lifetime to kill a big bull.

Utah needs to do what Arizona does and release hundreds of archery tags during the rut and get the rifle out of the rut.

I dont agree with ya on that one cause utah is so messed up you cant hunt elk every year unless you hunt spikes or have money. But it is nice that when you do draw a elk tag in utah most units offer large bulls which is better than rag horns every year like some other states.

I agree and agree. I think if you get a spike tag you gotta burn your points since that is actually a young trophy LE bull. I agree that the rifles should be taken out of the middle of the rut and moved to the end to make more room for the bow tags which would give more tags out and make the possibility of a draw much easier.

He who stomps the greatest stinky wins!

Disagree.

Why does my decision to hunt with a rifle during the rut get second rate choice because you choose to fling toothpicks at an Elk ?

Let's provide equal hunting opportunities... after all.. this is still America isn't it ?

Destiny

I do agree that the rifle hunt should not be durrin the rut. The bow hunters have a huge disadvantage by not gettin to hunt the rut. and after thinkin about it if there was a better chance to draw a tag and the bow hunt was in the rut i would stop huntin spikes in a heartbeat.

Are you kidding? Burn your points for a spike tag? This is going to turn into a lengthy debate I'm sure. You seem to forget that the DWR has let it be known that we are not harvesting enough bulls and the herds are out of whack. People are not going to burn points to shoot a spike so where do you suggest the harvest of bulls come from?

I wouldn't care if they did away with the spike hunt and increased the tags to where you could draw every couple of years. How did the spike hunt become statewide anyway? Wasn't it because the special interest groups cried foul when the DWR wanted to raise the harvest of big bulls????

dead-horse.jpg

Burn your points to hunt Spikey? What points... The FIVE YEAR waiting period after you shoot a decent Bull is like HELL for most Utah Elk hunters that I have talked with. FIVE YEARS to be eligible to even apply for a dang point is unrealistic... I can see TWO YEARS but FIVE ? They are smoking loco weed.

If you do the simple Math... Eight Years or more for a decent tag.. plus a Five year wait and then another Eight or so years if they haven't Fubard up the application process by then... so it looks like a THIRTEEN year period that a Limited Entry Elk hunter has to wait until they can get a decent chance at a Bull.

So... that's why so many Hunters are Leaving the State of Utah to Hunt neighbor States along with their Hunting dollars the DNR so desperately needs. If your a dedicated hunter with passion running through your veins to hunt... you just can't turn it off and then flip a switch every THIRTEEN YEARS... I'm going after Spikey.

Destiny

I say make it a 10 year waiting period after you draw an Le tag. Maybe that will give me a better chance of drawing my first tag that I have been waiting years for.

And I also say leave spikey alone on the Le units.

Arizona gives out a huge amout of archery tags. These tags dont take a lifetime to draw. In fact some of the best units can be drawn in 7 years or less. No waiting period!

sence Utah has more elk than arizona they could give out even more archery tags and thus makeing it possible to draw every 3 to 4 years. If you allowed it durring the rut I garantee you most people would be picking up a lame bow and giving it a try. Thus letting you die hards have their shot at the draw with a rifle a little eaysier.

If you guys think you need to kill an elk every year then you could purchase a cow tag and have at it.

picking a bow and having a better chance at the draw is only fair. limiting your self to 50 yards or less is a huge handicap. If you think it should be fair 15 years for a rifle tag and 15 years for a bow tag then you are up in the night. if it takes that long then i would put the tooth pick shooter down and grab a rifle.

In arizona most of the bow hunters will take any bull that presents a shot. the success rate isnt all that high and the top end bulls are every bit as big as utahs. The only difference is arizona gives way more opertunity for sportsman to hunt these big bulls. which is good for you and me!

I don't see why anyone would apply for a spike tag,if I would want to take an elk I would apply for a cow tag if I could not draw a bull tag. Just my way of thinking.

Did anyone force you into bow hunting? Did someone hold a rifle to your head during the elk rut and tell you to only hunt with a bow? No, YOU made a choice and knew what you were up against when YOU made the decision. The game hasn't changed for 20 years so why join it and then complain about your choice of participation. Like I said before, you knew what you were in for when you started bow hunting.

And I don't think most elk hunters PREFER to hunt spikes, it's just about their only option to hunt elk in this state on a regular basis.

Well according to the Utah DNR there are 10 cows for every 90 bulls... why would I want to off the designated breeders by shooting cow elk ? Spikes are a limited hunting opportunity... cause if they survive on the LE units just one year... they become branch antlered and are no longer fair game on the LE units.... at least for a few years cause nobody wants what Bobcat calls... yeah "Pisscutters"

If you Toothpick throwers end up with all the Cherry Hunts then I will just have to get me a Crossbow and get it ATAS with scopes and lasers LOL... yeah I asked the DNR and the Disabled can hunt with a Crossbow here in Utah.

Destiny

If the DWR is going to do spike tags anyway, how about giving 70% of the spike tags to the youth only. Give them a chance to get their first bull. It would be a fun hunt for the whole family to watch him/her get their first bull elk.

I will never agree with the spike tags. If they are so great why don't you just apply them to deer? Make the whole state a draw. That way you can only hunt a 4 point buck once in your life but you can take a spike deer every year. LAME MENTALITY!!!!

However I have nothing against someone if they take a spike on an open bull or LE unit. They chose to shoot a lesser bull!

I have never applied for Utah and the more I hear about it , I never will. You guys go for it,if that is what you want.Too much B.S. for me.

One thing that amazes me about Utah are the number of tags that wind up in auctions at banquets/dinners held by the various wildlife foundations. Obviously these tags go to the highest bidder and most of us cannot afford them.

What impact does this have on draw odds for the average-joe hunter? I've never seen anything like it, that many tags being set aside for auction...it's amazing. Perhaps that's part of the equation as well.

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

Where would it stop, if you make elk hunters use their points for a spike tag, how would you justify not making deer hunters use their LE points for a general deer tag? And last I checked the archery hunters still have the best odds of drawing a LE tag. Maybe a person cant draw a tag every 3 or 4 years like you would like but the archery hunters still draw with half as many points as the rifle hunters on most units.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-09 AT 03:03PM (MST)[p]Why is it that people are fine with hunting spike elk and a chance at a mature bull once in their life? But if you apply it to the deer they get all upset. Seems to be a double standard here!

People I am a guy that wants to hunt every year for deer and elk. Obviously the system is flawed; it shouldn't take you a life time to hunt a mature bull or a buck!
I get to hunt every year for a mature elk and mature deer. I would like to come up with a way for you to do what I am doing; killing LE quality animals on a general unit you can hunt every year.

There are two many people that want to enjoy what this state has to offer. The only way to allow mass numbers of hunters without affecting quality and allowing them to hunt every year is to do what is being done on the Wasatch front. BOW HUNTS 4 MONTH SEASONS, RUT HUNTS and ALLOWING YOU TO TAKE A MATURE BULL OR A BUCK WITH NO POINT RESTRICTIONS. The only down side is you have to do it with a bow. The family hunts could happen again. Someone has a chance to take a big buck cause their will be big bucks.

IN MY WORLD I WOULD MAKE IT A DRAW STATE WIDE FOR RIFLE ELK AND DEER pick your region. Then make it pick your regions for archery deer over the counter tags with a cap like we have now for deer. 90,000 or so first come basis. I would go with the same season's as the front. The units that are over objective will have rifle cow and doe hunts. This would help the rifle guys to hunt more and collect their meat. I would also manage the whole state so it was more like the Bookcliffs was a year or two ago. This would allow more rifle tags and a great chance at a great buck or a bull.

SW--why hunt spikes anyways?

Just go Gen Any Bull units....

Have ya hunted Az. bow bull??

Try it a couple times like I have....then kinda challenge Utah bow Spike hunts vs Az. bow bull and bow cow hunts during the same time frame....Can you Say General Utah unit crowd control...it is a mess....down there....

Robb

sw,

settle down bro. its much easier to identify a spike elk than a spike deer. that's one reason it doesn't apply well to deer.

careful pushing archery so hard, you might attract someone like me who would rather spend time scouting than shooting arrows. the end result is i'd find a bunch of deer to shoot at and wound several before i finally tagged one.

my brother-in law had to throw out the meat from his 350 dutton bull that was all infected from an archery hunter who couldn't finish the job.

archery is great for people who love to shoot bows and have more time than they know what to do with. not everyone fits that description. you push people into it and you'll end up with lower success rates but similar kill rates.

SW whats stopping you from hunting every year? you say more tags, if you want to drop quality, just hunt the open bull units now. quit trying to shove archery down our throat. also have you even hunted Arizona?seem's like you should have pulled 10 tags by now, cause thier system is so great.you can pull good archery tag's in Utah with 7 points too. I guess your ##### is you cant hunt the best units every year, come on man, they are that way because of limited harvest, shootem out then what you got?

also, i will be selfish also, i am all for pulling the rifle out of the rut,right after i pull my tag!

I have to side with sw on this one. I drew a Boulder l/e tag in the mid 90's back when you could hunt archery for two weeks prior to the rifle hunt. Spent three weeks on the unit with my bow in hand. It wasn't as good back then but I did have close calls on a couple 330 class bulls. Also drew 2 times on the AR 301 and chased big bulls on Dutton and boulder and the pauns. Never did harvest a bull But what a fun hunt. No damage to the resource but lots of opportunity...that is what makes archery hunting a much better choice in providing more people an opportunity to hunt without overharvesting the older age class bulls. Just the way I see it!

Who made you have to hunt with a rifle? The bow is just another tool. I'm all about oppertunity and archery allows a lot more for the limmited resources. Hunt all the spikes you want just do it with a bow. A lot more will grow up for the bigger bull tags.

I agree to move the rifle hunt out of the rut, even though I hunt with a rifle.
As for allowing everyone to hunt spike on a LE unit, I don't know what the DWR was thinking. I am not going to want to hunt a LE elk that I have waited 15 years for with the rest of the state of Utah. If anything go back to the mgmt. bull hunt. That way they are limiting the amount of hunters in one specific unit and controlling the herd better. Maybe do it everyother year. I think the DWR just wants more money. That's what it comes down to.

Pleasedeer
We have hunted in Arizona I have had 6 people I know hunt in Arizona in the last 4 years. All of which have had 3 points or less. We have killed one bull over 400? and one bull 300? everybody else has had their chance at 350? plus bulls but didn't close the deal. We never saw more than 4 other people on these units during the week. We were also hunting water holes right next to the road. Road hunters dream!

smelly buck says
"sw,
settle down bro. its much easier to identify a spike elk than a spike deer. that's one reason it doesn't apply well to deer."

BS I think we need to apply the spike deer to the henery mountains so we can have more opertunity without hurting the quality. Lame it dosent work any better when you apply it to elk.

Reddog
I do hunt every year for deer and elk. I dont partisipate in the dedicated hunter program either. I hunt from aug to end of dec every year. I am not realy complaing about Utah except it could be a hell of alot better for everyone else.

I personally have only been hunting elk for 3 years now. I have been o so close every year to puttn a big mature bull down. It's only a matter of time for me. The good news is these bulls are getting larger every year and I can hunt them every year ?opertunity?.

As for Arizona I haven't drawn a tag yet because I have just been buying the points. I will be putting in next year and will more than likely draw.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-09 AT 07:46PM (MST)[p]SW,
I don't think I'd brag about hunting from Aug till the end of Dec. being an archery hunter ...then ask for more opportunity ;)
Here's the deal:
I am a rifle/muzzy hunter. I participate in the dedicated hunter program as to have opportunity, but I don't use a bow as I have no business trying to make an ethical shot with a bow. And most people rather they admit it or not are the same...same goes with rifle or muzzleloader. I do agree they should move the rifle hunt out of the rut, and I would be all for letting archers hunt during the rut, BUT I am not for letting archers hunt every few years on LE units. There are alot of applicants that will never make it through the system as it is. I do not agree with the spike hunts and voiced my opinions at the Rac meeting. I also voiced the fact that if they should feel the need to have spike hunts on these units then they should limit the number of tags per unit as some units are going to get pounded because of easy access...while others will not be so affected because who wants to pack a spike elk out of a hell-hole? I really think there could be more opportunity for EVERY type of hunter be it muzzy/rifle/ or bow, and I think a management hunt pre-rut before the elk are busted up is WAY better than spike hunts. Just my .02 :)

thanks for your imput cat hows those hounds are the ready to chase some bears?

What would happen if you make the spike hunt a draw throw in all the LE archery tags into this draw so you come up with around 19,000 state wide tags, then let you pick if you want to use your bow or your rifle. If you use your rifle you can only kill a spike if you draw. If you choose to hunt with a bow you can kill anybull.

A spike is just a big bull that hasn't grown up anyway. The herd bulls rarely get killed by bow hunters anyways. So what is the big deal?

If we killed less bulls with this hunt ?which you would? you could issue more big bull tags for the rifle hunt.

Win win

Good or bad idea?

the division has stated 80% of the spikes get killed on a spike hunts

that is 80% that never get to grow some bone and they get killed for free

Naw... Leave some of the LE Rifle Hunts in the Rut... why discriminate against Rifle Hunters and give the Bowhunters all the easy opportunities where the Big Bulls just walk right up to you Bugiling "Shoot Me" "Shoot me with your pointy sticks of Death" "Wound me so I can die a slow and painfull Death"

Rifle hunting is more humane and it shows you respect the animal more than your vanitity... hehehe

Destiny

Most people I talk to that have drawn a LE elk tag would like to see a faster way to get another tag. The people that have not drawn a tag yet don't want to see the tag #'s increased because they want a chance to shoot a big one as well. Making you burn your points on spikes would only help the ones who have already had the opportunity to hunt the big boys. I am willing to wait a few years to get my chance to shoot a 400" bull.

WELL DBLung???

WITH THIS NEW "PISS POOR MANAGEMENT"!!!

WHATS YOUR CHANCE AT A 400" BULL IN THE NEAR FUTURE???

I'VE SEEN THE UDWR DO SOME STUPID SSHIT OVER THE YEARS BUT I RANK THIS IN THE TOP 5 OF ALL STUPID STUNTS EVER TRIED!!!

GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!!!

JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST!!!

WAFJ!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

Bessy, I'm not sure do you like the extra spike tags being statewide or not? I will guide you on a spike hunt for half price. You can even ride up front in the PRO mobile.

PRO

www.oddiction.com

Why not keep 5 to 6 units in the rut and move the rest of the rifle hunts later in the year then rotate which units are hunted in the rut. If we start shooting the elk on both ends of the age class some units with easy acess are going to crash quick!!!

Sorry Bess,
I'm not waiting any longer. I just got a $280 on my card. And yes I will get a chance on a 400" bull. Not much a chance I will bring him home though.

Your right, there are not many years left for that chance the way they keep raising tag #'s.

HEY Pro!!!

I DON'T LIKE THE PISSCUTTER HUNTS ON LE UNITS!!!

AND I THINK YOU KNOW THAT???

LETS SEE???

1/2 PRICE HUH???

NO OFFENSE Pro BUT IF I CAN'T GET A DINK BULL ON MY OWN I'LL HANG MY HAT!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO GO FOR A RIDE IN THE Pro-MOBILE!!!

I HEARD IT DON'T GET STUCK,LOL!!!

AND NOBODY WILL NOTICE WE ARE HUNTING IN IT!!!

IS THAT WHERE stinky RIDES IS UP FRONT???

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

I usaly keep my big mouth shut but this thred done it!
You get to hunt real elk maybe evrry 10-15 years!
Thers no way in hell Im going to give up elk points becouse of some winey ass that dindn't draw his tag this year!
You bow hunters get your cake and eat it too! And yet you still #####. The best one yet is we bow hunters are at a grate dissavantidge! Who's falt is that!!! You say we need more time we need the rut we need we need we need. What a mounth of roud hunting isn't enough!!!! I live in suthern utah and get a front row seat to the archery hunt every year! You guys are clowns!
May be a little les computer time and a whole lot more off your ass time might help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MO FASTA MO BETTA
GO LONG OR GO HOME

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom