SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker

Torch

I have been looking at these satellite messengers and for $150 and the yearly service fee they seem like a good tool to have when I'm heading into the backcountry. Does anyone have one and if so how do you like it?

Torch,
Maybe I'm a little uneducated, but what kind of cool stuff can it do? I am just wondering because I have a Rhino 520 GPS, it has a 5 watt radio compared to a .5 watt that the motorola's have. It has a tracking device that you can transfer to Google Earth. And the coolest thing it has is a locator. Anyone that is linked up with you can see where you are if you are in range(10-15 miles...they say) It was a great thing to have on the hunts last year when I was trying to find the rest of the group. And I like to be able to track-back to where I started. And be able to check out the map and see where I am and where I might want to go. Anyway, I am interested in what it can do, so let me know.

CSO

It's all about the good times...

CSO,

It's more of a safety device. It works off of satellites and only has a couple of buttons.

A 911 button, which is to be used for life threatening situations. Once the button is held for 3 seconds the appropriate agency is notified and your GPS coordinates are given to them.

A help button, to ask your friends and family to come and help you.

A check in button, to let your family and friends know you are okay.

If you pay the extra money and upgrade the service your friends and family can track your progress on a computer using Google Maps.

They have them at Cabelas, but I haven't made it over there to check them out in person yet. It could be a handy tool if you're in the back country with a buddy or by yourself. My family and friends always get nervous when I go out by myself, so I figure it will probably be worth the money if it works as good as advertised.

Shane,
We had one when we fished in Alaska a couple of years ago and it was really nice. We were 3 hours from the road and 7 hours from the cabin and I could talk to my wife. Cell phones were useless. I haven't had the oppotunity to use the satelite tracking yet (thank goodness) but I would bet it would be a lifesaver if you ever needed it.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom