spotting scope or binos w/ tripod

m48goat

I currently have some 10x42 nikon monarchs and wanted to get a spotting scope to help me look at game at a farther distance. Ive also noticed other people use bigger binos with a tripod setup. do any of you guys use 15x binos with a tripod or similar setup? or do you guys prefer to use a spotting scope?

I pack in a ways to hunt. i don't mind carrying the weight. Just want to hear some opinions on those who have tried either or both and what you prefer. Thanks

Goat

I have vortex 15x50 vipers and theyre awsome on the tripod and in your hands most of the time. Spotting scopes have never done it for me. Something i didnt consider before buying them was that they magnify everything even the fog and heat wave. I used to use a pair of leupold 10x50 and they were a lot quicker on the draw and they didnt have as long a readjusting time for my eyes when i put them down. I would assume the spotting scope would just magnify fog and heat wave though. I can spot sheds and deer well over a mile and count points within a half mile for the most part on a tripod. I guess it depends how far out you really want to see and how much weight you want to carry. If i were in the market i would look at the vortex 11x33 spotting scope.

Im the opposite. I'd feel naked and at a severe disadvantage without a spotting scope while hunting. 15x obviously will aid you better than 10x but I would much rather have the ability to use 20x-60x when studying animals from over a mile. Especially when judging mule deer, sheep or antelope. Personally I'd rather carry a Spotting scope and a tripod in my pack than have a pair of 15x binos strapped to my chest. I've seen guys carry two pairs of binos at one time and I think its impractical. Use your 10x42 binos for scanning over country and then once you have found something whip out the scope, simple as that.

Coloradoboy

COBOY has it right for high country hunting like CO, but in the SW it's 15x+ binos for most. Then after finding the quarry with the 15s it's time for the spotter with the phone skope!! Best in the west.

I'd feel naked without my spotting scope. I wouldn't mind having higher power binoculars, but I don't think I can leave the spotter at home. I need that power quite often.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

You really need to figure out what you are gonna use them for in the field. I find a good mix of Swaros and Leupold 12-40x60 works for me all the time.

Close to the truck, glassing half mile to a mile, long periods of time, or thick cover and bedded or immovable animals - 15X binos on the tripod. Backpacking in some distance, glassing longer than a mile, cold weather hunting, better trophy assessment, short periods where looking thru one eye isn't a problem - spotter.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-14 AT 10:43PM (MST)[p]My favorite and by far most valuable tool in the field is my spotting scope. Heck, I've become so attached to having it that I pack my 30-70 Swaro everywhere I go, no matter how far in it is.

yea I think I'm going to go with a spotting scope. just makes more sense with a lot of your guys responses.

any tripods you guys recommend?

After a good set of binos . It seems natural to get into a good spotting scope. Then after that maybe some high powered binos on a tripod. After finding the game the spotter pulls them in. It also nice to get a few pictures threw the spotter with the Phoneskope. When its windy it is nice to have a good sturdy tripod. I use a carbon fiber tripod to help out with the weight.

I use Swaro 15X56 binos on an Outdoorman tri-pod. It has a pistol grip handle. For elk the binos are pretty good for a couple of miles depending on conditions. There are times I wish I had the spotter. IMO I find more game with the binos but at long distance I can't judge animals I could with a spotter.

Do I carry the extra weight of a spotter and binos, or do I just close the distance without the extra weight of the spotter?

I own large spotters and plan on getting a more moderate sized (lighter) Leopold for packing so I can carry both.

I have 8X42 Leicas, 15x56 Swarovskis, and a 20x60mm Swarovski spotter. By far, the ones that spend the most time in the case are the 15x56 Swaros. They are bulky, and I can't see as far as I can with my spotter.

It really just comes down to personal preference, though, and you never really know until you try them out. But for me, I rarely use the 15X binos.

I also use the pistol grip and I hate it.

I carry an ATM 80HD (it only weighs a few ounces more than the ATS 65HD, but you get much more light).

The tripod is a Promaster T525P with the Manfrotto 327RC2 head. It is a rock-solid setup.

If you want a super-lightweight tripod, 1.5lbs with the head, check out the Sirui T-025X. Not as solid for the 80mm spotters, but great if you are counting ounces or using a smaller spotter or binos.

I recently started carrying the Outdoorsmans ring adapter for my 10x42 binos so I can use them on the tripod as well. I highly recommend this setup.

Grizzly

For me the most important thing is the tripod. You can't use a spotting scope without it (obviously), but I find a lot more stuff with even my 10X's on it. The first really good spot that I made with with my 7X50's on a tripod and I found a barbary sheep at over 1.5 miles (confirmed by GPS after killing the sheep). I then moved up to the 10X's and really love them on the tripod. I recently purchased the swaro 15X56's and of course they are even better, but really hard to be patient and pan slowly with. (you pack these and don't carry them around the neck). I can't imagine anyone using 15X's free hand, and if they do, I guarantee I can find more stuff with my 7X's than they can with their 15X's. I have a swaro 20-60X80 spotter and I have decided it is only for judging things, not really for glassing and I use it the least as I am not at the trophy hunter level yet, I guess.

If I had to give up my 15X56's or the 20-60X80 spotter, it would be the spotter and I doubt I would miss it. I find its near impossible to ever get anything in focus above 20X...sometimes can focus to 30X, but never above that and I am young with great eyesight.

-I have fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when-

I go with Leica 8x42s and a zeiss spotter. I have a couple tripods but usually go with an Outdoorsmans with the jim white head. I also have an adapter for my binos so I can put both on the tripod.

When i'm hunting more from the truck I use a manfrotto tripod for the spotter so i can stand up and glass. The outdoorsmans is a lot easier to pack around so I use it most of the time in the field.

Spotter is a must have for me so I can judge animals from far away and save some boot leather.

Not sure I can add much here, but I love my 15X56 Swaros on a tripod. Because you can see with both eyes, they are easier to look through for long periods of time than a spotter.
No doubt a good spotting scope can stretch the distance and find more detail and once you find something far away, they are key.

The best of both worlds is to hunt with someone who has a spotter, and you carry the 15s like me and my son. We make a dynamite team with that combination, but we seldom leave each other's side.
Ultimately good spotting requires extra weight if you are getting away.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-14 AT 05:41PM (MST)[p]Thanks for everyones comments. For the places I've hunted so far I think a spotting scope will benefit me more, like a lot of the reasons you guys mentioned.

The higher end spotters are pricey but I'm sure they make a difference.

Goat

Id recommend a vortex razor or vortex viper. I ran the razor for a couple seasons and wish I wouldn't of got rid of it. It honestly stacked right up with my Leica televid and it's $1500 dollars cheaper.

Coloradoboy

Coloradoboy, did you have the 85 or 65mm razor? why did you get rid of it?

I was hoping i'll have enough for a leica or swaro or zeiss spotter but ill definitely look into the vortex razor

Goat

I had the 85mm. It was a great scope, I just sold it to upgrade to the Leica. Which looking back on it the Vortex allowed me to do everything my Leica does and i could of spent that 3 grand on something else. If i were in your shoes I would take the 2500 to 3000 you're going to spend on a Swaro,Leica, Zeiss, etc scope and upgrade your binos and get a scope. You could get yourself the Vortex Razor 10x42 binos and a Vortex Razor/Viper spotting scope for about the same price. Can't beat vortex's warranty...

Coloradoboy

I think it depends on how you like to glass and what your gonna do with a spotting scope.

Personally, I hate using one eye. I carry my 10's for glassing and pack my 15's and a tripod in my pack for more detailed glassing or looking over country way out or to look at an animal I glassed up with my 10's. I only use my spotting scope after I find something so I can zoom in for a better look. Even then my 15's do a good job at that.

I cant sit and glass country with my spotting scope. I have to use both eyes.

I find myself leaving my spotting scope sometimes and packing my 15's if I'm trying to lighten the load or if there is limited room.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

Great Post

Ive tried every combination of glass you can imagine (leica, swarovski, docter, minox, vortex). I've tried 8x, 10x, 12x, 15x. I've tried the big 80mm spotters and the smaller 60mm spotters.My conclusion:
I believe a good pair of 10X binos on a tripod are capable of spotting any critter a 15x pair of binos could spot. Once you spot the animal than you use your spotter to see if that critter is worth a lead pill and a long walk.I sold my 15X leica duovids because they honestly did not make a big enough difference. I traded my swarovski 80mm spotter for a 65mm spotter because I did not think the advantage was big enough to justify the size, weight, and cost of big heavy glass.

Now if you want to talk about BIG EYES like the Doctor 20-50X80 Binos well than that is a totally different story.

cabinfever, I think I'm also going to go with a 65mm when i buy a spotter maybe i'll save a bit and use that to get better binos as well.

do any of you guys use that bog pod tripod? or is it not very good?

Goat

I use a bog pod tripod for shooting sticks but I have no idea if they make that great of tripod. I imagine you could get by with one but it wouldn't be ideal. I run an Outdoorsman tripod.. little pricey but worth it. Vortex actually builds a pretty good tripod in my opinion. My little brother uses the Pro GT tripod with his razor scope and it seems to work pretty well.

Coloradoboy

I just picked up a vortex spotter and a vortex tripod. The vortex tripod has a ball head. Cant wait to use it this fall.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom