Spotting scope question

woodturner

HI,
OK - I know the best in Swarovski....and a few others. But, some of us can not justify the cost of them. So, I would like to purchase a good spotting scope.....realizing it will not be "the best". My problem is that I am at the end of my hunting career but still have a few hunts to make and would like a good scope. I have a great pair of binoculars.
I would like to know about the Leupold Kenai spotting scope? Maybe the Cabela's Krotos HD spotting scope?
Any others that are in that $400 - $800 range....that are good spotting scopes......but not the best.

So, can I ask for some recommendations from you.....without getting beat up?
Thanks.
Woodturner

Sure you can ask ! Not so sure about the getting beat up part:). I have liked the Vortex line for affordable spotting scopes. They seem to have have one in every price range. Also a great warranty. I have two Vortex Razors. One 65 mm and a 85 mm and like them both.My dad has the Divorski's. Set up side by side you may see a little difference . But both will do you a good job. If the razor is to expensive try one of the other Vortex spotters in your price range. I am not a fan of Leupold spotters but I do love their scopes. I tend to want to use my equipment and always have them with me. Ether bouncing around in my truck, fourwheeler box or in a pack. So knowing Vortex will take care of me helps a lot.

My first spotting scope was a Vortex Nomad (still have it). Not a high end scope. My first binos were a cheap ($35) pair from Sam's club. Both significantly increased the number of animals I found, relative to before. There are a number of scopes in your price range. If you can look through some, before purchasing, it will make the decision easier. Field of view, eye relief, aesthetics, etc. will all factor in.

A few of my friends have the Kenai, and they like it. Pretty good choice in your price range.

}}-SLIVER-->

I purchased a used Kowa 663ED with Manfrotto tripod and fluid head on ebay last year that was within your price range. Kowa glass is highly regarded on many websites I have perused for bird watching and other ventures. Images are sharp and clear all the way to the edges and I could easily focus on small objects at long distances. I would take a hard look at the 660 series Kowas on the used market. A good solid tripod and a smooth head is also a must to take advantage of the optics.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

Thank you for those who answered.
I found a really good price on the Leupold Kenai scope. Thinking about it. The price is about what a Cabela's Krotos HD scope would cost. But the Kenai is bigger....heaver, brings in more light, etc.
I will check out the Kowa's. I have a couple of months....but can't wait forever.
I have a good pair of 10x42 binoculars.
I like Leupold rifle scopes.
Thanks again.
Any other who want to chime in here.....?
Woodturner

I have used both Leopold and vortex spotters. Both do a great job. The good thing about spotters is that someone is always looking to buy one. Resale value is pretty awesome. So no matter how much you spend you can usually plan on getting a good price back on them. Fatrooster.

Hi there Everyone who responded.
Thank you for your help and advice.
I have been running around on the internet looking and looking. Reading reviews....here and elsewhere. Checked Cabela's the other day and saw they have the Vortex Razor on sale now 25% off.
It is a bit more than I wanted to pay.....but fatrooster....your note pushed me over the edge.
I just ordered a Vortex Razor.
Thanks for the help.
Woodturner

You will love it ! Now you need to get a Phoneskope for it. So you can show your friends all of the great animals you are seeing threw that new Razor. It's almost another hobby,Phoneskoping.

So.....the scope is supposed to arrive at the end of the week. Waiting.

BigJohnT......So, now I need to buy a phone? I do not own a cell phone. I need another hobby like a hole in the head. Too much going on now. I am just taking my new scope out for some walks with my rifle. We are going to have a good time.

Thanks Everyone for the input.
Woodturner

You must be the same age as my father in law. He is also a wood turner and shares a flip phone with his wife. :) :) I agree we all seem to have to many hobbies and not enough time.
See you on the Mountain!

Another vote for Vortex. The Viper line is a great value.
I have used both the Viper and the Razor 65mm scopes. Liked both of them.
I am still using an old (over 30 years now!) B&L. It has been everywhere in all kinds of nasty conditions and is still exceptionally clear. It's downside is that it maxes out at 30x.
I will be purchasing a Viper 65mm this year.
Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Hi Everyone,
OK - Cabela's had the "old" (16-48x65) version of the Razor Spotting scope on sale for $900. I fell for it. Due to your recommendations. Thanks to all that made comments.
I received it today. I think it will do just fine.
I put it on my old short tripod and now find that I need a new tripod to hold it.

I need to take the spotting scope out into the woods and see what I think for real. I can only get things so far away here. Soon.

Thanks for all the help.
Woodturner

>Hi Everyone,
>OK - Cabela's had the "old"
>(16-48x65) version of the Razor
>Spotting scope on sale for
>$900. I fell for
>it. Due to your
>recommendations. Thanks to all
>that made comments.
>I received it today. I
>think it will do just
>fine.
>I put it on my old
>short tripod and now find
>that I need a new
>tripod to hold it.
>
>I need to take the spotting
>scope out into the woods
>and see what I think
>for real. I can
>only get things so far
>away here. Soon.
>
>Thanks for all the help.
>Woodturner

I picked up the "old" version too. Being my first spotting scope, I had no expectations. Very impressed with it. I do understand what people are saying about longer range, but I could make out horns at 1800 yards. Granted, I picked it up for a steal so I feel VERY good about my purchase (leftover from OpticsPlanet brand new).

Hey,

I'm glad for the both of you. Even though you paid $300.00 less than me for the same scope.

When I was in the market I spent 6 months looking and never found a deal so I paid the $1,199.00 everyone was asking.

But with that said. I still think I got a good deal since I love the scope.

For my personal experience, I can say Vortex is a nice scope. Youll really happy to it. I have Vortex 20 60?85 RazorHD Spotting Scope. In our 25 anniversary, My wife gave me this gift.
It has-
Magnification: 20-60x
Objective Lens Diameter: 85mm
Glass: Premium High Density, extra-low-dispersion
Construction: Porro Prism
Body Type: Angled
Waterproof
Focus: Dual Focus Ring
Eye Relief: 20-18mm
Dimensions: (LxWxH) 15.3 x 7.6 x 6.8 inches

I cherish it like my baby.
Thank You.