Spotting Scope- Straight or Angle?

J

james_wvu

I have $1,050 worth of Cabela's points on my card after several, several years. I'm thinking of kicking in another grand or so for Swarvoski spotting scope. Just wondering if you guys have any opinions on straight vs. angled? thanks

Angled all the way for me. This is one of those choices when there is no wrong answer. It's personal preference. The reason I go angled is the neck strain factor when glassing for long periods of time. The angled relieves that stress especially when looking straight across a draw or uphill. I'm sure you will find people that will only use straight scopes. I would try them out in a sitting position and standing position and see which one is more comfortable for you.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

+1 for angled. I always thought straight 'til I bought an angled. Now realize that there is not a more comfortable position to glass from. Scott

Alright, i'll be the oddball here and break the ice for the "straight boys".

I use a straight on my Leica, angled eye pieces are for bird watchers. Lol J/K

Like Jim said, there is no right or wrong answer for personal prefference.

I like my straight because i can lay by binos across the top of my scope and use my tripod for glassing.
When i see something that needs a closer look, i simply remove my bino's, lift the handle on my Bogen and it's in the bullseye.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I like both styles, I have the
straight for my 80mm, which I use
off of a big tripod, and window
mount when I am close to a vehicle
or not packing a long way, and I have
a angled for my 60 mm that I use if
I am hiking with a pack alot.

The only thing I have a problem with
the angled is that It takes some
getting used to trying to pin point
what you just spotted with your bino's.

Just my 2 cents!

+1 for the angled. I too have always had straight scopes and had a hard time adjusting to the angled when looking for animals. After I got used to it and figured it out I personally wouldn't enjoy looking through anything else.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

+100 for angled!!
My Swarovski scope w/ angle eye piece was some of the best $$ I've ever spent. I can't tell you how many times my neck would start to hurt and headaches would soon follow after hours behind a straight scope. Now all that has disappeared. The only drawback with the angled is it's harder but not impossible to use in a truck. I agree that it does take practice to be able to pick up a particular spot with the angle after finding it w/ binos, but it gets a whole lot easier with time. Never again will you find me behind a straight scope.

"For Sale"

Leica 77 spotting scope STRAIGHT EYE PIECE.
(trading mine for angled)

I think you guys are all hunchbacks of Notre Dame and have to use the angled! Lol WTF!!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Sorry slam but i gotta say im lovin my new leupold angled its real nice on a tripod in a truck not so nice but i still have the old one for that so all is good

Bury me in the hills so i can fertilize the grass and grow bigger animals for the rest of ya

Strange post...........I have seen maybe 2 hunters out of a hundred using angled scopes. Now all of a sudden, on here, EVERYONE is an angled guy? I knew you guys were mostly twisted!

I have one, but I use it for a loaner, as I personnaly think it is a pain in the neck to use.

I totally agree nickman!!
This exact post came up a few months ago and it was just the opposite, today i'm the acception to the "new rule"!
WTF!!! Lol

Dingleberryblaster....go catch a fish or sumthin, quit knocking my stuff!! Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

slam, after all the camo undies posts I was beginning to wonder about your "straightness"LOL:D Let's hook up! You bring the straight and I'll bring the angled and we'll head "straight" over to berryblaster's place and pick him up! We'll do some serious glassing and then come back on here and really give them an objective oppinion!:D

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Sounds good too me, but dingleberry might be a little jealous playing with the big boys and our Leica's against that little Leupold.

He keeps telling me about a big bull he keeps seeing, i think it's just all those spider cracks in his lenses when he zooms up!!
LMAO!!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I've never tried an angled eyepiece, so I don't get to vote. But I can thank Slam for the binos on top idea....never thought of that. Thanks.

Another vote for angled. I will not use a straight again. The neck strain is not a issue at all with the angled. Way more comfortable to me. JMO

GB22-
Your welcome, it works great and eliminates the need for a seperate mount for your binos.
I have Zeiss classic 10X40's that i lay right on top of my Leica and use the handle to maneuver it.
Once i see something i want to scope, just lift the binos off, pull up slightly and your right on target with the scope. :)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I'm a straight guy myself. I seem to find animals a lot faster with the straight piece. I haven't used the angled piece enough to get used to it though.

Go try it for yourself and make your own decision. But I will say that is a heck of an idea slam. I've also never tried putting my glasses on top of my spotter. Just another reason to get a straight piece.

IB

Gotta go with angled...definitely. Ever tried looking uphill with a straight eyepiece??? You gotta lay on your back to get a look! With an angled eyepiece you can sit "above" the scope no matter where you're looking and see great. Angled is the way to go!

Straight. I use my binos on top of the scope as well. It's quick and easy to find the animal once you make the spot.

I didn't like the angled for steep downhill glassing. It's slow to find animals too. I guess that could be that I wasn't used to it.

I guess it's just a Fords vs. Chevy vs. Dodge, Cheerios vs. Wheaties, Blonds vs Redheads kind of thing.

Actually, I guess I do prefer "angles" on Redheads......and Blonds.

Is this a great country or what?!!!!!!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom