Spring Vs. Fall Bear

xbow

Which season do you guys think would be better for attempting a spot and stalk bear hunt in the Kamas/ Chalk Creek area Spring or Fall. Thats the area we know best and have seen bears in the past but they have been in the summer time. Or second choice would be to bait with archery is there a better season for that. We have never hunted bears before. Thanks for the info.

I've baited bear for 25 plus years and spring is superior to the fall. If you understand bears and know where their food sources are in the fall, it could be good too, but in general the spring is much better than the fall.

498397447de0a03d.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Do bears typically hang out in the same general location from year to year? sorry to steal the post, just curious is all. thanks

Sow bears seem to stay in a relatively small area, but boars roam huge areas and especially in the spring and during the breeding season.

Once the mast crop comes on you will find the bears more concentrated and less likely to roam.

Have a good one. BB

If you want to be successful with a bow by spot and stalk, you will have to know where the bears feed, have to be a high concentration of bears in the area, or will have to darn lucky.

It took me about 3 or 4 years to get my first bear in that manner, but once I learned to bait, I get several good chances every year and I hunt in a low density bear area.

4984a0712cd80ece.jpg

I was hiking with my camera and this bear stood up just 10 yards away. I really didn't even have time to focus before he was gone. It happens on occasion, but seldom when you have a permit in your pocket and a bow in your hand.

Have a good one. BB

I have to agree spring is when they are on the move and more visible. In the fall the hunting can be good if you know where to look. In Oregon we have so many bears I think fall is as good as the spring hunts.

Sweet photo. I love huge old fat bears that look like their legs are about a foot long. That one looks like he has elephant seal genes!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom